Got my first jack and stands, how bad did I do?

I think it's utterly insane to put my life in the hands of something of questionable repute from a Chinese offshore reseller. Same reason I don't buy Chinese tires. There are things worth spending more on and I firmly believe that tires, and things that are between you and death, fall into that category, even if you are on a budget.

I wouldn't crawl under a vehicle supported by anything Harbor Freight, but OP just wants to rotate tires. Discount Tire is the answer.

I wouldn't crawl under a vehicle supported by anything Harbor Freight, but OP just wants to rotate tires. Discount Tire is the answer.
Aye. We are in the same boat then. I have some ridiculously sturdy jack stands that are probably 30-40 years old. Jack is a "low profile professional" unit from Canadian Tire, not great, but I'm not getting under the vehicle with it, I primarily use it for tire changes and have used it for about 10 years now. My sister has a Michelin one she bought at Canadian Tire on sale, it's much nicer. That said, this thing lifted our Expedition many, many times, so the Jeep is a walk in the park.

Aye. We are in the same boat then. I have some ridiculously sturdy jack stands that are probably 30-40 years old. Jack is a "low profile professional" unit from Canadian Tire, not great, but I'm not getting under the vehicle with it, I primarily use it for tire changes and have used it for about 10 years now. My sister has a Michelin one she bought at Canadian Tire on sale, it's much nicer. That said, this thing lifted our Expedition many, many times, so the Jeep is a walk in the park.

If you need to get it on jack stands for a major repair that's one thing...but not for a tire rotation. Discount Tire is your friend. Brakes can be done from a jack.

a decent jack and jackstands. i have the same setup and have had no problems..jackstands with the safety pins are a must

i'd think you're should be fine but don't chip on stuff like that

personally id use that hydraulic jack to lift the heavier upfront while using original OEM jack that comes with the car and lift the back end of the car

also get yourself a piece of 2x4 from THD and cut it to a size of the palm of your hand and use it along with the hydraulic jack

im always doing this so that the jack do not intrude or crush the body panels or reinforced lines under the car

GL

If you need to get it on jack stands for a major repair that's one thing...but not for a tire rotation. Discount Tire is your friend. Brakes can be done from a jack.
On some cars a simple F-R rotation can be done on a jack. Wife's HHR was pretty stiff underneath and if I put the jack on the "frame rail" about 8 inches rear of the firewall it lifted the whole side.

Used properly you will be fine with your purchase.
I'm convinced accidents happen when tools are not used properly. Human error, not faulty tools.

Not that these would be strong enough, but Discount Tire’s not lifting my F-450! OP is just fine with these for tire changes/rotations, just be sure to hit frame rails & jack points & give the car a good shake before removing ANYTHING.

They USED to have multiple issues-the welds up the sides would split open like a zipper, and occasionally the pawl was made incorrectly and didn’t lock in very well. It appears HF has actually addressed both of those issues, I would use those!
"It's safe this time, we promise". No thanks!

Reactions: 4WD
Somehow I do lots of work without jack-stands - I do have some with a bottle Jack and can load share - but try to do all I can wheels on. Will not go under a vehicle on jacks - but removing wheels (rotate etc) with 3 ton and 4 ton floor jacks seems safe to me … As a former machinist - I just cringe at the poor quality seen in 75% of these stands …

Edit: admittedly having the ability to go up 4 ramps is a big plus ✅

I bought an HF jack, mail order because there was no common internet then, and used it for 20 years... Gave it to a neighbor about 10 years ago and he says it still works fine.

I recommend jack pads/block.... Seen to much jack on sheet metal/panel/brakeline/exchaust damage from clueless neighbors trying to act like a mechanic. Know where you will put the stand, and where to jack, prior to starting the job. Just use the search words, jack pad, in amazon.com for info, make or find some locally.

Might have to add some hydraulic oil(or PSF/ATF) every now and then. Consider doing it now since some will be low when even new. HF also has hydraulic jack oil in little bottles. https://www.harborfreight.com/15-oz-hydraulic-and-jack-oil-40709.html

Give it a leak test. Jack up vehicle, and leave it overnight. If it fails the simple leak test, swap it out. My hydraulic jacks can hold pressure pretty much forever. My Walmart jack slowly dropped in < 30 minutes.

Always use jack stands. My stands are too old to worry about and better than anything I've seen at walmart/HF/autopartstores. I always thought that those recalled stands had too much wobble and were too loose when new. I am pretty sure they ironed out their bugs by now.

Like any ramp, jack, or stand, you should always be on a 'proper' surface. I see too many destroyed on lawn/gravel/mud especially those plastic ramps, and too many motorcycles in the dirt. Use common sense.

When working on my car in the driveway, if vehicle is up on a jackstand, the hydraulic jack is there waiting to catch the vehicle if the stand quits for whatever reason. I could have my car up on 2 stands and my hydraulic jack follows me around on whatever brakes/suspension I am working on. And, I don't put my 'noggin in between the ground and frame rail when the luvin' wife is around.

I'm sure this jack is more than to your task. Just a hint
however:
Get a couple of ice-hockey pucks to place onto your jack
please. VWs want anything than rubber beneath their sills.
And don't forget to place some old carpet or similar bet-
ween your Jetta's stands and sills or subframe.
Personally I don't stands are even mandatory for rotating
fronts to rears and vice versa. I don't use them. However
I won't get beneath the car of course.
I use to operate higher torque the wheel bolts with the
wheels sitting before and back on the ground only anyway.
That said, hope you own a torque wrench btw..

You will be fine. For added safety I always use a couple of 6" X 6" blocks cut from posts. I install them a few inches inside of the raised wheels. They will take the weight to enable me to extract myself should the jack give out. Never needed them, but there is always a first time and nice to have the added insurance.

I assume you are working on level concrete or asphalt and if possible, remain in gear with the parking/hand brake on when working.

You did good. I've had mine since 2014, no issues.

I have the 6 ton jack-stands that were recalled (I never took them in). My brother's Jeep sat on them for almost a year.

Back