Got great MPGs on a trip with a conservative driving style in my Venza hybrid.

I did this trip with very light traffic which allowed me to accelerate gradually as there wasn't anyone behind me when the lights turned green at most of the traffic lights.

I drove the speed limit in the right lane on the highway portion of the trip and coasted long distances into red lights.

Attachments

• 20220702_223848.jpg
    20220702_223848.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 110
Looks great. After getting my 06 Highlander Hybrid, I developed new driving habits too--basically looking for ways and opportunities to coast, learning at what point on or near the crest of a hill I could lay off the accelerator and then coast the downward slope, etc. Sounds like you are doing something like that.

I did this trip with very light traffic which allowed me to accelerate gradually as there wasn't anyone behind me when the lights turned green at most of the traffic lights.

I drove the speed limit in the right lane on the highway portion of the trip and coasted long distances into red lights.

I wish everyone hyper milled . I try to hyper mill but I cant do much if the person in front of me keeps using their brakes every railroad crossing, like bro coast!

Why coast when you can regenerative brake?

Regenerative braking isn't perfectly efficient, I know, but it's a lot better than making heat.

I "know" the traffic lights in my town and will drop to, say, 20-30 mph for a far-away red, so it'll be green before I get there. Is this what you mean by coasting?

Anticipating traffic lights is what I consider coasting. I don't attempt at hypermiling extremism... just anticipate and adapt. Most just race full throttle to the red lights and stop signs and then brake excessively.

I only consider full tank considerations...with manual calculations. All else is meaningless.

What I read when I see posts like this is: I annoyed everyone on the road by driving like a daisy in search of an entirely meaningless number.

Last edited:

Please give the calculated gas mileage . Pics please . :)

Anticipating traffic lights is what I consider coasting. I don't attempt at hypermiling extremism... just anticipate and adapt. Most just race full throttle to the red lights and stop signs and then brake excessively.

I only consider full tank considerations...with manual calculations. All else is meaningless.
Why is it meaningless when that will become part of the average MPG for that tank,

I have yet to have a dash computer be remotely accurate.

Well, just got 1000 MPG coasting down my steep driveway.... hip hip hooray.

W
Not sure if true... I mean, if it was a run to the mailbox, then surely you had to go home afterward? Most trips aren't one-way.
Well its still fun to rack up some decent numbers over a short distance. Its sort of like running, you have your marathon pace, and then gradually have a faster pace, in shorter distances, all the way down to 100m. It is hard to get a whole tank of good mpg trips but its still nice to get a good mpg trip!

Without knowing the round trip variables, that's some pretty good MPGs! Efficiency is key and I laugh when folks say they can't get the rated EPA MPGs.

I have yet to have a dash computer be remotely accurate.

All of them I've used so far have been very accurate, with some small errors to uncontrollable circumstances and environmental factors; and assuming the trip computer was reset.

Last edited:
IME with several modern Fords, they have all been 5 to 8% optimistic.

Right now the Maverick's computer says 44.3 since new. Actual hand calculated is 42.1 MPG

Back