Got an email from Amsoil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh i know you wouldnt know me by name. I just didnt think of talking to you about it.

just to make clear im not bashing on Amsoil or Pablo. Im actually very happy with the product. Just the oil filter situation bothers me a bit cause of the money i spent. Just figured i was SOL so i didnt try to make contact about it any further then what i did.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

PS Just in case anyone asks (???) - I really have no clue by your BITOG screen name what your real name is.

I run into this from time to time. It's not usually with product issues, but I probably insult a customer or two without even knowing it
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
I have one EAO13 and 8 quarts of SSO left.Okay so lets say the filters you mentioned will work. what i do now? I payed for an EAO13, that when I got it, it was advertised for a one year interval. So now I have to buy another filter and toss this one? So more money spent. Then what if it doesnt fit? im stuck with it.

I hate to repeat myself but the number 1 reason i went to amsoil was for convienence. Toss it in, check oil every gas fill up, and change it in a year.

I recently called Amsoil and talked to a rep and asked and recieved free of charge 3 qts of SSO to make up for the two EAO13's I purchased in the last five months.
Great customer service!

Quote:
It won't make Amsoil's interval in all cases.
That's what I meant to say. In any case, under warranty I would not run any oil and filter combination past the Honda MM limits. Just me. After warranty I suppose it would depend on the cost benefit of the oil and filter, Amsoil included.

As for the proposed 12500/1year limit for the current Amsoil filter, I'd say that sounds reasonable. The question then is, is the filter worth the price premium compared to lesser priced filters handling the same interval?

Isnt this the same filter at issue with other engines? I'd assume to say could be a bypass issue or a capacity issue? for the oil light to be coming on there has to be a pressure issue or possibly just where the filter and the pressure switch is located. Or could this be a sludge related issue like the vw 1.8 in certian models causing oil light because of sludge building up? I've never heard of hondas having sludge issues so i'd go back to the bypass settings or possibly filter plugging issues?

It's a service length issue. They can't manage to assure that it will last one year/25k.

..but it goes beyond that to some extent. There are plenty of numb consumers running around with saturated filters and they're not experiencing any oil lights or "damage".

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
....stating the filter I use for my civic should not be used for the 1yr drain interval and should be replaced according to what honda says to do. This kinda bothers me. Reason I bought Amsoil was for the 1yr interval. Cost is about the same for it but saves me time from changing the oil 3times year vs 1 time a year.
I called to ask about it and the tech guy said they got a few complaints that the low oil pressure light is coming on and now they are testing to see why. Well i have done 18k/1yr and had nothing of that sort happen to me. I didnt even have to add any makeup oil. At the end of the 1yr the dipstock showed the oil in between full and add. Anyways amsoil sends me a wix filter and an extra quart of SSO 30w free of charge to make up for the fact i have to change it earlier. I'm thinking of still doing the 1yr interval. Any suggestions?

Okay...going back to basics, I don't really see what the issue is here.

Amsoil had admitted there 'may' be a problem with going 25k in this car on this filter...not a guarantee, just a warning.

You do 18k/year, and say you have done that without issue. So you're already well under the 25k Amsoil is warning about, so if you haven't had any problems, I'd be inclined to keep doing what you are doing - chances are good nothing is going to happen!

It's not a warning. not sure where you read that at. amsoil said to follow honda's oil change intervals and NOT to follow the 1year/25k interval. which for me is about 5 to 6k going off the Maint Minder. So there is an issue. I paid for a 1yr 25k max use filter and now I have to use it for 5 or 6k.

Just changed a 2010 Civic Si 2.0 oil today. Installed 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra and a Amsoil SDF36 and it fit perfect.

Filter was easily double capacity of the stocker and the Amsoil filter will be easier to remove than the stock little smokies can it came with. There is a heat shield that really obstructs the removal of the stock filter and as far away as the exhaust manifold is, I believe the shield is more of a hinderance than help.

The accessability to the filter on this car is really poor, but there was plenty of length clearance to add the larger filter.

Had no problem with width, the 36 was just a hair wider than the stock teenie.

I had to put the car up high on the stands and have the wheels turned full lock to the passenger side and lay face down with my head under the front tire and reach up through an access with my right hand and spin the new filter on blind. One of the most difficult filter changes I have done in a long time. If I do it again, it will go much faster.

well it seems we do use the same filter but i do not have no where near the same problem as you getting to mine. its right up front behind the bumper. Though it is in a "cubby hole" so idk if a bigger one will fit. Well if its longer and not so much wider then it might.

A bigger filter wont mess with oil pressure would it? I use a bigger filter on my firebird with no problems, just not sure about a honda.

I am a lifetime Amsoil dealer using Amsoil since 78. I will give Gary and some other Amsoil Dealers the nod they are more saavy than I about the product line and oil specs, but I have done a lot of cross referencing filters and 15 years ago Amsoil tech support gave me the nod on using this filter. I have sold and used these on every Honda since then with no problem.

These filters overlap with their bypass specs and I have used the ASF/SDF/Eao 36 on my son's 94 Honda Accord EX since new which is about to reach 300K miles.

I believe the Eao36 will solve your long drain issue with the Eao13 and you can put this topic and your worries to rest. This filter will also allow some additional overall oil to the system and hold more contaminants than the stock filter.

The 2.0 I did yesterday called for 4.8 quarts with filter and we put 5.5 quarts in to get the oil dead on the full mark. The car sat for hours on a dead flat garage floor with several top offs to get it right.

The stock filter was so small that it is smaller than many motorcycle filters. Certainly smaller than a Harley filter and almost the same size as the filter on my 12.5 HP Kawasaki FB460v motor in my John Deere 160 riding mower.

I don't like the stock filter and never have.

Just looked it up to be sure.

Eao13 bypass is 13 psi.
Eao36 bypass is 12 psi.

Since the tolerance is +/- 1 psi, there will be no problem.

Also, on the Civic Si, the filter is located on the passenger side on the back of the block. The crossmember and the rack and pinion make it very difficult. Sounds like yours is easier, Thank goodness. I didn't feel bad it took me longer when my neighbor told me it took a tire/lube place over an hour to change the oil because of the filter. I was laying on the ground and they had a lift.

Glad I could help.

The equivilent Filter in Fram is a PH2849A.

If you decide to go with something other than Amsoil you will have a cross-reference number if you decide to use a different filter but have the higher volume benefit.

I wish I would have read the eao36 info before I bought a 2 pack of Mobil 1 oil filters.
Oh well,eao36 in the future.
Thanks,BR.

My take on this:

AMSOIL made a filter that filters so well that the sump oil will be cleaner than most oils out of the can. When a small filter is combined with a dirty engine, a lot of stuff will be caught by the filter. At some point, in some engines, the filter will become overloaded.

The pressure sensor light, if it comes on, and if it is noticed, is often the bearer of tidings which arrive too late.

Personally, I have never had a dealer or customer who had this problem. However, I certainly accept that it does exist. If I had a Honda or Toyota, I might run longer than recommended, but I [censored] sure am not going to recommend trying to run longer to a customer.

From talking to some of the folks at AMSOIL a week or so ago, I think it very unlikely that there will be a 25,000 mile/1 year change interval for the teeny filters. I would not be surprised to see a 12,500 mile/6 month filter interval for those after the redesign is finished. and I would expect the efficiency to remain the same.

If you are continuing to drive 18k mostly road miles and not driving short trips (with the engine in constant warm-up/rich running), then you are most likely ok to repeat your last long oci with another EaO13. If you want to heed their warning and keep your Amsoil "warranty", then follow their latest requirement. At least they are offering to buy it back, even if it is a hassle to go send it off.

That being said, I don't like super long oci's anymore especially past 10k miles. Too many things can go wrong to contaminate oil and require it needing changed sooner. Just my opinion. Looks like it has worked ok in your case.

i havent read anywhere that they are offering to buy it back. I'll probably be calling next week to see if they will though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back