Got a Speeding Ticket today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
ask to see the calibration records of the radar used. I guarantee they wont be able to produce them Go to court.

NJ State Police have them. I worked in the NJ State Police office where they calibrate the radar guns with a tuning fork.

The tuning forks have calibration reports, too. You won't beat the ticket. Best you can do is plead it down to "unsafe driving" or whatever your court terms it. You'll pay more money but no points. At least that is how it tends to work in NJ.

Just last week I was doing 45 in a 25 zone and flew right past a cop parked on the shoulder hiding around a bend. Thought I was a dead duck but he didn't bother to turn around and come after me. Whew. Thought I had a ticket for sure.

I wad radared once at a speed zone change, a-pipe was in the shadow of the 55 sign..so hot about it I called the DA office and got an assistant who lowered it to a parking ticket and $75...still felt ripped.

I didn't read anyone else's reply. What county was it in? Many of them in our state list the district attorneys office and some even have a form you can complete. I have helped others do that. It does exist. If not, call the district attorney's office and ask to speak to someone about getting it reduced prior to court. I was told they have better things to deal with than tickets like yours. Good luck.
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I'm mad but I don't know at who.
How can I be mad at myself, I'm a good driver.

I was driving in a 45 MPH area.
Further up ahead (1/2 mile) the speed is 55 MPH.
This is a big radar stretch of road. People pulled over all the time.
I wasn't in a hurry (had all day) and if I knew I was speeding, I would have slowed down.

Well, the Radar Officer must have been in the 45 MPH area (just before the 55).
They got me going 57 MPH in a 45.

I know this has been discussed before. Could not find using Search.
I took the Defensive Driving Class 5 Months ago.
No other Tickets.

I will have to educate myself on Points, pleading down, dealing with Insurance Co.

I have the option of returning the Ticket by mail or in person.

I thought I read on this site about hiring a Lawyer.
Is that possible at low cost ? ? ?
Would I still have to appear in Court with all the looser (now I'm one of them) ? ? ?

Any advise would be appreciated.
And careful driving.

I beat a ticket for an inspection sticker violation the old fashioned way... showed up to court in a nice suit and begged it out with the cop.

I could have argued the facts of law before the judge but the facts weren't on my side.

So I told the cop what happened, I just rebuilt the motor on a car that had been parked over a year and the sticker ran out b/c of time. I had an appt with my mechanic but he didn't have time for me yet.

Cop dropped the charges.
01.gif

PS not the cop who pulled me over, another from the same dept. They just have to send "a representative" in my jurisdiction.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I beat a ticket for an inspection sticker violation the old fashioned way... showed up to court in a nice suit and begged it out with the cop.

I could have argued the facts of law before the judge but the facts weren't on my side.

So I told the cop what happened, I just rebuilt the motor on a car that had been parked over a year and the sticker ran out b/c of time. I had an appt with my mechanic but he didn't have time for me yet.

Cop dropped the charges.
01.gif

PS not the cop who pulled me over, another from the same dept. They just have to send "a representative" in my jurisdiction.

You get to let the cop make that call in Maine?

In some states there is a law on the books that says a cop cannot run radar within a certain distance of a sign indicating a change in speed.

OP here.

Just to clarify:

1.) I've NO other Tickets in 20 years.
2.) The Defensive Driving Class I took was ONLY for Insurance Discount.
3.) Area was Western NY

State Police or local police?

Thought NY had a law on the books that said you can no longer plea bargain direct with State Trooper that wrote the ticket.

Where I'm from, they just write whatever they can think of to see what sticks, since they rarely ever have to even cone to Court due to plea bargains.. and I'm convinced that if enough time goes by, they won't come...

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Hi Larry, fellow New Yorker here.

Plead not guilty and request a supporting deposition to buy yourself some time. There should be a section on the ticket for that.

Then, contact the court and find out how it's handled and who will be prosecuting the case. Write a very nice letter to that person explaining your good driving record and desire to plea it down to a non-moving violation. Send this letter with Restricted Delivery and Signature Confirmation so it goes to the right person and you have record of it.

Edit: be sure to make yourself a copy of the ticket before sending it in.

Very Good Step by Step Information. Do it.

ask to see the calibration records of the radar used. I guarantee they wont be able to produce them Go to court.

It's guys like you who talked me into wasting three mornings in court (I ended up in the ER a couple of days before my court date and had to go through another hearing, or whatever you call it), expecting the cop not to show up ("dude, they NEVER show up for things like this, it's too expensive to have them waste their time") or that the calibration of the gun would either not exist or be expired.

Luckily, I'm able to flex my time, so I didn't lose any pay, but I did have to drive 40 min away only to be talked down to by an over-worked prosecutor and then read the riot act by the judge for wasting their time.

The cop just sat there - he didn't say a single thing. I was so mad, and I don't feel proud admitting this, that I said to the cop that he should be ashamed of himself for lying like he did as I walked out.

I've sped two other times and admitted my fault to the police officers right then and there and been let off. One let me go after I floored it on an on-ramp (the lane didn't end, so it was completely safe) and, after immediately pulling oover when he flipped on his lights (I saw him in my side-view mirror as soon as I got onto the bridge, in 3rd gear, at high RPM) and answered his question of why I though he pulled me over with no hesitation! I had just gotten off of shift work and this was the first weekend I had off in over a month and I was eager to see my then-gf. He checked my info and then came back and asked me to please wait until I got to RI before I decided to break any more laws. Haha

The other was similar to the one I got ticketed for, except I was speeding. He hadn't tagged me, because some other driver was between us as we came past his hiding spot, but when asked I admitted to passing someone and paying more attention to my surroundings than the fact that I was doing 10 over. He gave me a warning.

Lesson learned: It pays to tell the truth, unless you've done nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

It's guys like you who talked me into wasting three mornings in court (I ended up in the ER a couple of days before my court date and had to go through another hearing, or whatever you call it), expecting the cop not to show up ("dude, they NEVER show up for things like this, it's too expensive to have them waste their time") or that the calibration of the gun would either not exist or be expired.

Luckily, I'm able to flex my time, so I didn't lose any pay, but I did have to drive 40 min away only to be talked down to by an over-worked prosecutor and then read the riot act by the judge for wasting their time.

The cop just sat there - he didn't say a single thing. I was so mad, and I don't feel proud admitting this, that I said to the cop that he should be ashamed of himself for lying like he did as I walked out.

I've sped two other times and admitted my fault to the police officers right then and there and been let off. One let me go after I floored it on an on-ramp (the lane didn't end, so it was completely safe) and, after immediately pulling oover when he flipped on his lights (I saw him in my side-view mirror as soon as I got onto the bridge, in 3rd gear, at high RPM) and answered his question of why I though he pulled me over with no hesitation! I had just gotten off of shift work and this was the first weekend I had off in over a month and I was eager to see my then-gf. He checked my info and then came back and asked me to please wait until I got to RI before I decided to break any more laws. Haha

The other was similar to the one I got ticketed for, except I was speeding. He hadn't tagged me, because some other driver was between us as we came past his hiding spot, but when asked I admitted to passing someone and paying more attention to my surroundings than the fact that I was doing 10 over. He gave me a warning.

Lesson learned: It pays to tell the truth, unless you've done nothing wrong.

It's hit or miss. I've gone to Court and seen three cops just sit there, never have to say anything just get up when the case is called they say "Officer present." They sit there, looking mad they have to be there, and leave. I hear they get paid more for Court Day, as an incentive to appear.

Then, on different day, I see tickets getting dismissed because the cop isn't there and they call the case like two and a half hours in and it's case dismissed.
21.gif

But that "Oh, they never come to Court" thing is almost guaranteed to NOT work if it's only a year or two old (??) and it's never been called before. If a cop is still in the force, not much reason why they wouldn't show. Though sometimes they can't find the file, and they offer a sweet deal if that's the case.. the way evidence gets from the police department to Court always seems to have some kind of a problem. ("Where is a copy of the police report"?, etc etc. And sometimes, a public defender can do what a lawyer paid thousands will. If a case will be dismissed, it doesn't take a $4000 lawyer to dismiss it. People are not very smart with their money. I can get tickets dismissed with NO attorney, if things like the length of time etc are on my side. This includes serious charges. I've only seen high powered lawyers do magic on clients facing DUI/DWI charges. Not so much other tickets. Sometimes you can negotiate community service.. the judge still sentences you to jail, then slips in at the very end that they will give you a few days to apply to the Sheriff's office for it.)

I see more cops showing up for court. I'm going this year, for a ticket from 2009. I really doubt it will get far, I expect it to be dismissed automatically for lack of prosecution. Though this is election year.. the worst time to count on what is supposed to happen, happening. Sometimes they put it down for 4 or 5 court dates before they even think about dismissing. The system is broken.

Just call a lawyer. I get speeding tickets all the time and I have no points nor have ever been to a [censored] class.

It's all revenue generation, and my lawyer has had no problem keeping my license at 0 points, even with some "serious" violations.

Last edited:
My dad is a retired attorney and he's told me a thing or two. The first rule when your pulled over is to be polite to the officer and the second rule is don't admit guilt.
My dad owned his own practice in the small town I grew up in and any criminal defense cases were billed at $150 an hour with a three hour minimum

Show up on the court date and enter a not guilty plea. The last time I was pulled over I was cited for doing 50 in a 35 and failing to use my turn signal (cited as unmarked lanes in Ohio) in downtown Columbus, Oh driving a WRX. I entered a not guilty plea, got another court date and plea bargained both citations to a single mechanical violation which was $120. Don't worry about the money, worry about plea bargaining it to something that won't affect your record. Talk to the prosecutor when your in court with politeness and demand a good plea, he/she will see your record and know your a decent citizen.

OP here.

Just to clarify:

1.) I've NO other Tickets in 20 years.
2.) The Defensive Driving Class I took was ONLY for Insurance Discount.
3.) Area was Western NY

While it is great you took the defensive driver course, you admitted in your initial post you were clocked at 57 in a 45.

Regardless of any other factors, you were speeding; so your decision is whether the time and effort and lost wages involved in going to court are worth the cost of the ticket. Your call since no one here knows your financial situation.

I would just pay it and move on.

I am not sure I would ask for the radar calibration documents up front. Its likely to [censored] off the cop that he has to do more work. If they will not plead it down, then ask for a postponement and file a motion of discovery to get the radar gun calibration along with the engineering diagrams for the road.

I just use a lawyer. He charges the amount of the citation, has gotten every ticket dismissed, and I never had to pay any court costs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I think 12 mph over is not really too excessive. It's a bit of a myth that police always have traffic quotas.

not sure about other states in MI it is :)

"In its internal newsletter, the state police used to print a list of the troopers on road patrol that gave out the most tickets during traffic stops. The ones that gave the most tickets got mention in the newsletter and appreciation for their service from the director. Twenty years ago, a trooper out of West Branch led with a trooper from the southwest side of the state coming in second. The trooper from West Branch patrolled I-75 mostly."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back