Got a new car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or should I say I bought the wife a new car.
20120113_152537.jpg

So I can now spend some time on this one.

0424111943-00.jpg

Last edited:
is that the base model 2011? i'm guessing you got it for next to nothing because the new 2012s are out now aren't they?

its the 2011 1.8s model but it has everything but leather seats, the nice rims and moonroof which is getting put in from nissan in a week or so with the tint. it does have a auto as well. I did steal it for sure it came from a dealer I wash cars for. Actually I wash a bunch of their lots. They sold it to me for 250$ over their cost. They even showed me the papers to prove it.

I didnt want the 2012 yet cause it is The first year for the new style and has the 1.6 and the juke engine which is DI and pretty new already. I told the wife she can get a 2015 versa with the 188hp juke engine. Actually my car is alot better on fuel than all the other models so far. Not that I care too much about fuel eco but 46mpg on the highway is not too shabby.

The coolest part is I get cost on all parts from them as well.

INCLUDING OIL AND FILTERS
08.gif

Last edited:
is the auto a cvt? versas are very versatile little cars, but i've heard bad things about the quality (things like interior plastics, wind noise, etc). i mean they are cheap for a reason aren't they?

keep us updated on how it holds up over the years.

Ist an auto. the cvt seems to be a little bit unreliable and it starts to act silly after 50,000 k's or so.

I also notice that its half and half with the plastic and interior. half have no wind noise including me and I also think the interior is of a very high quality. nice leather accents and nice fuzzy material. Great fitment and no rattles as well. The wife actually started it then shut it off not knowing it was started and started it up again. I told her to look at the tach next time.

She is used to a big old muscle car so it is quite alot nicer for her.
I am definately impressed with the car and will update. Im getting some uoa's done as well soon.

1. I thought all automatic Nissans used the CVT.

2. Ten years ago, After visiting France and Italy, I used to say that most European cars were UGLY. Five years ago, after visiting France and Italy, I said that European cars are not so ugly anymore. Then, I found the reason why. It was not that European car were any different. It was because our cars were starting to look like theirs, and we were getting used to the looks. That Versa looks almost exactly like some of the Renaults in Europe.

3. Kelowna BC. You must be a neighbor to the famous "Ice Road Trucker" that lives in Kelowna.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

2. Ten years ago, After visiting France and Italy, I used to say that most European cars were UGLY. Five years ago, after visiting France and Italy, I said that European cars are not so ugly anymore. Then, I found the reason why. It was not that European car were any different. It was because our cars were starting to look like theirs, and we were getting used to the looks. That Versa looks almost exactly like some of the Renaults in Europe.

3. Kelowna BC. You must be a neighbor to the famous "Ice Road Trucker" that lives in Kelowna.

I'm pretty sure the Versa is a renault design with the Nissan engine and transmission. I'm always surprised how big they are as they are taller and wider than many mid-size cars like the previous gen Fusion or Malibu.

Was drooling over a 6.6 Transam for sale the other day...$28k Oz, which is cheaper than any Oz muscle car of similar vintage.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

1. I thought they all were cvt as well until i looked into the cars a bit more. The versa is the only one i think with the normal auto. Its the cheapest car they have so i can see why they offer the regular auto. They do have the cvt option as well as the 5 or 6 speed manual.

2. I as well thought they were a funny looking and egg shaped but now i think they are cool looking machines. renault co-developed the engine with nissan and im not sure what else is part renault but it sure is a nice car. I took it out today for a few erramds and like it more and more every time i do.

3. yes Hugh is very close. he lives in the town down the road. He actually lives in a town called winfield. ten minute drive from me. I have actually hung out with him and rick. At my prior job I also made hoses for their machines. Hugh has a construction company as well. R&R hoe service. It actually says pimping aint easy on his card. Kinda tacky but common around here. I work for his neighbor a few times a year and he tells me all the stories. They are quite good friends.

It kinda sucks in my owners manual that 5w30 is preffered all year around and does not have a temp chart. In the service manual it says you can use 10w30 or 10w40 or the 5w30 for best fuel mileage. I want to see if nissan will let me use 0w30. It was -9 celsius here and would love to throw some 0 wt in it. My plan is to use the nissan full syn and oil filter as well.

They list two intervals the first one the severe sched and its 3 months and 6000k, and the less severe one is 12,000km and 6 months. im planning to do the severe one and uoa it to see whats up.

Originally Posted By: abycat
They sold it to me for 250$ over their cost. They even showed me the papers to prove it.

How much did it run total?

Wondering if I could get a deal like that around my area...

I picked up a 2011 Versa 6-speed but only had it for 7 months or so.

For the price I think the car is pretty good. The interior is better than expected, and nicer than a few of the cars in it's class (Yaris, Mazda 2). The car is also very quiet inside. In a subcompact test I saw, the Versa came out on top when it came to lack of road noise and quietness.

The other biggest pro for the car was the amount of room it had. Back seats were very roomy for a car in it's class, with a lot of headroom.

Gas mileage for me wasn't great but the cvt does better on mpg. I also wasn't too happy with the handling and overall ride. For the money it's a good deal in my opinion. Mine was pretty cheap, under 14k i believe.

I think the handling is great for a front wheel drive HB. I have some showy and slippery roads right now and I went for a drive to have some fun and it handled great. the back end likes to come out a bit but that is with no weight in the back and some extreme driving so It would not apply to normal braking and cornering.

I think the anti lock braking workd really good. I put the two tires on one side on sheer ice and the other side on lightly sanded dry pavement and slammed on the brakes and the amount of grip all the tires had was really suprising. It didnt even pull to one side or the other. Just stopped quite fast.

The interior is quite nice and definately is nicer than the mazda 2 or fit. Its very quiet inside and has no rattles whatsoever. I am getting a nissan moonroof put in in a week or so so I will post some pics of the install.

I am a fan of the engine as well. its 122hp at 5200 rpm and makes its 130 some ft-lb torque at 4800 rpm so it does make a sporty power band. You would think all the torque up high would make it a dog around town but it really picks up and feels cool when it pulls all the way to 5000 plus rpm. Mines an auto and I really like the shifting and other characteristics of the tranny. It never hunts and has a really smooth downshift and up for that matter.

On our test drive we drove it on a usual route we drive almost weekly so we know the road pretty good. It has a set of train tracks then a huge 700' climb and the tracks are raised a bit and it is a fairly large but more importand a sharp bump that makes cars with bad shocks or cheap ones kinda slide to the left from loss of contact between the road and tire.

our camaro did it a little bit and pushed the car down quite a bit from the downward force. the Versa didnt slide at all and took the bump like a 30,000$ car. I was quite surprised with the little car.

I looked down the oil hole the other day and you cant see much besides about two links of the timing chain and about a one inch section of block wall. It looked like machined aluminum with golden oil splashed on it so its spotless inside. timing chain was spotless as well and it was a medium grey color.

I did phone my dealer and they said unless im in alaska or somewhere like that they do not reccomend the 0w-30 just the 5w-30. They stock mobil 1 and reccomend it in the car as well. My over the counter price for the ester oil is 14$ a litre. My friend did say he would give parts and consumables to me for cost any time but I cant price shop with that deal. I think its a fairly friend deal. But if i do run that crazy oil I wonder how much I can get it for. 11$ or 9$ maybe something crazy like 6 or 5$.

Over the counter price on oil filters is 9.99 and drain plug washer is 1.79. I did hear that the nissan filters were cardboard ones like the cheap frams so i dont think I will go that route if thats true. I might slap on a mobil 1 ep filter, its working great in my truck right now.

I might even change the engine oil and filter over to mobil 1 so then my truck and car both have almost all mobil 1 oil in them. I am sticking to the reccomended trans fluid and still dont know if i have a tranny filter yet. I forgot to ask the parts guy.

Last edited:
Another thing to note is that I loved the way this car sounded when filling it with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30. I only had experience with the factory fill and pennzoil platinum but if I had the car still, I would be sticking with the Ultra.

I have always liked those and almost bought one. I think they are nicer than most people believe they are as well. Nice interior quality and lots of room. Definitely a solid value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back