Got a dud battery

lots of missing info. what size? rated cca? how fresh was it when you bought it? did you test it when new with the same tester? have you tested it since and have you noted a decline over time? does it still crank fast?

I suspect your battery is perfectly fine and you're worried over nothing. do a proper load test and you'll know for sure. still not convinced I'll give you the core fee for it...

I have a $48 value battery from 11/20 it still measures ~680cca. measured 695 when new. 585 rated.

Ya but I don't want my wife getting stuck somewhere
Here's what to do. Drive the battery with your purchase receipt back to the WM where you purchased it. Tell them the battery is bad and that you would like to buy a more expensive battery from them today and you would like your $50 bad battery cost credited to the cost of the new, more expensive, battery . In the future, remember, You are not just buying a battery; You are buying a warranty. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Still sounds like a good deal to me. In order for Oreilly’s 2 year battery to get the same life for the cost out of it ($180) it would have to live almost 4 years, which odds are isn’t gonna happen.

I’d throw another $50 battery in it.

lots of missing info. what size? rated cca? how fresh was it when you bought it? did you test it when new with the same tester? have you tested it since and have you noted a decline over time? does it still crank fast?

I suspect your battery is perfectly fine and you're worried over nothing. do a proper load test and you'll know for sure. still not convinced I'll give you the core fee for it...

I have a $48 value battery from 11/20 it still measures ~680cca. measured 695 when new. 585 rated.
It's this one. Thread

'New battery. Low charge.' https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-battery-low-charge.346819/

Here's what to do. Drive the battery with your purchase receipt back to the WM where you purchased it. Tell them the battery is bad and that you would like to buy a more expensive battery from them today and you would like your $50 bad battery cost credited to the cost of the new, more expensive, battery . In the future, remember, You are not just buying a battery; You are buying a warranty. Hope this helps.
How is this going to be feasible since the 12 month warranty expired a month ago? I had a friend try to do a similar exchange 3 days after purchasing the economy ValueStart battery and WalMart said they would not exchange the new, never installed battery for an upgraded Maxx battery.

How is this going to be feasible since the 12 month warranty expired a month ago? I had a friend try to do a similar exchange 3 days after purchasing the economy ValueStart battery and WalMart said they would not exchange the new, never installed battery for an upgraded Maxx battery.
It's a try.

I have a 7 year old WM Maxx that's down to 75-CCA. It will start the Lumina. I just have make sure to start and run it every 5-7 days. No, I don't drive it anywhere far.

I usually get just under 2 years on those in my Accord. For whatever reason, it is hard on batteries and always has been. No faults found. Charging voltage is always perfect, no vampire drain. Probably a combination of heat and factory charging scheme. So it is either a new $60 battery every 2 years or a new $120-150 one every 3 or so.
@ctechbob - does the accord call for the slender 51R? Our CRV does… and in Canada it comes with a group 35. Ditched the little shield and a 35 fits.

that said, I just ordered a new 35 for it. The previous battery got week, then just quit without any warning at the very end. This one is only 3 years old, and it was a warranty replacement for the previous one which failed within warranty at 2.5 (it was 9m old when I bought it, the only one in town that day).

surely hondas aren’t this hard on batteries?

@ctechbob - does the accord call for the slender 51R? Our CRV does… and in Canada it comes with a group 35. Ditched the little shield and a 35 fits.

that said, I just ordered a new 35 for it. The previous battery got week, then just quit without any warning at the very end. This one is only 3 years old, and it was a warranty replacement for the previous one which failed within warranty at 2.5 (it was 9m old when I bought it, the only one in town that day).

surely hondas aren’t this hard on batteries?
Nope, the V6 Accord of that vintage always had a Group 35 in it, the I4 had the smaller unit.

They've usually been really odd failures. Car would usually start just fine, you'd just find it having odd issues, like the HVAC not booting up properly (from voltage drop). One time it even wigged out while driving, all the dash lights came on and went off. Both times, 2 different batteries, both dead. Replaced them and everything back to normal.

I don't think all Accords are this hard on batteries, but a black V6 Accord, in Georgia, driven lots in the daytime summer heat with heavy loads, does shorten the life of batteries pretty well.

It is also probably a little short on charging, as it comes with an 80 amp alt. My TL, has a larger 130 amp, and it isn't nearly as hard on batts. If the one in the Accord ever goes, I'll put the higher output unit in it as they're similar enough it will be a drop-in replacement.

I don't know if the Everstarts are made by Exide or Johnson Controls. If it's Exide, they have a lot of work to do to improve them. Exide hasn't been worth a darn since its bankruptcy.
I find Everstarts are made by several suppliers then labeled as Everstarts for Walmart. In my local Walmart, they have Mexican made and USA made batteries side by side, all with Everstart labels.

I put a ValuPower in my Caddy...2 years later, it tested at >95% capacity and still cranked that giant engine easily. That car is hard on batteries, spinning a 540ci engine through long, hot cables.

The two VP batteries are going on (I think) 4 years in my wife's big Blazer.

I find Everstarts are made by several suppliers then labeled as Everstarts for Walmart. In my local Walmart, they have Mexican made and USA made batteries side by side, all with Everstart labels.
I am on east coast from NY to.Mass to Delaware and all Walmart batteries that I have seen are Easy Penn. Maybe because East Penn is headquartered in RI. But could guess across the country and/or North America they might be made by Clarios or others.

Back