Google urges Android phone users to switch off Wi-Fi calling

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Google found multiple security flaws in Samsung Galaxy and other smartphones that could allow hackers access into the devices.

Only a limited amount of phone are listed, appears most newer models..not sure if older models are safe, or just untested.

Last edited:
Hopefully these manufacturers get a fix out ASAP.

For me, that would be a big problem. When I'm at work, it's the only way I'm able to send and receive calls.

• Mobile devices from Samsung, including those in the S22, M33, M13, M12, A71, A53, A33, A21s, A13, A12 and A04 series;
  • Mobile devices from Vivo, including those in the S16, S15, S6, X70, X60 and X30 series;
  • The Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 series of devices from Google; and
  • any vehicles that use the Exynos Auto T5123 chipset.
But, the Pixel 6 and 7 were fixed. Not sure on the Samsung phones still affected according to the PZ changelog.

Why is this a big problem? Hackers eavesdropping on your juicy conversations?
This is what happens when a device (phone, computer, etc) have exploits or bugs that bad people can take advantage of. In this case though, the operating system is still supported and current so it will be fixed.

"But, the Pixel 6 and 7 were fixed."

Check your build number, I am still rocking the old build number on my Pixel 7. Waiting on March security update.

I have an old Galaxy S10 ... Too old for that apparently.

I do use wifi calling though. We don't have cell service at home or in the office.

Google found multiple security flaws in Samsung Galaxy and other smartphones that could allow hackers access into the devices.

Only a limited amount of phone are listed, appears most newer models..not sure if older models are safe, or just untested.

Thanks for the post. I have one of the listed phones and have checked and adjusted the settings.

Reactions: GON
Why have wifi calling in the first place? Don't most phone plans have unlimited talk?
I use wifi calling throughout Asia. Allows me to keep my USA phone number active without paying a ransom to foreign cell phone operators. Also allows me to verify credit card usage, and logins to web-sties, that get flagged because they see an Asia ISP.

You don't have to open an attachment to get a virus? That's the first I've heard of that.
I recall it was mentioned here as well a while ago.

Back