Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT - Reviews Please

I've been looking for a set of winter tires for our 2015 fusion. It has the 19" rims but I bought a set of 17" fusion rims with the 235/50r17 tires. I'd be buying 225/55r17 winter tires. I've found a deal of new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT for ~$350 new plus mount/balance which is a great deal. DOT codes are 2020/2021 so they're not old stock. I'm looking for people who have used this tire. The previous winter tires I have experience with are the Blizzak WS80/90. If it is really bad out I take the F150 but there are times the fusion will need to be driven. Some of the online review say it is not a great winter tire but then again they are online reviews where people gripe. Its like 50% the cost of Cooper true norths, Continental Viking and the Blizzak.

Would I be disappointed with this winter tire or should I pull the trigger? Surely they're should be better than the MXM4 Michelins I have on it now during the winter, even if the WRT is older tech?

Last edited:
COOPER Evolution Winter are very good . Reasonable price and better with the upcoming rebate . The sipes go all the way to the base of tire . Use them for both vehicles . They're with studs at extra $16 each , rebate helps to cover their cost .

COOPER Evolution Winter are very good . Reasonable price and better with the upcoming rebate . The sipes go all the way to the base of tire . Use them for both vehicles . They're with studs at extra $16 each , rebate helps to cover their cost .
Those are still $600 plus mount vs $350 for the goodyears in my OP.

I used them on my 2015 Ford Focus and if I wasn't a person to try out new tires almost every year (because I drive so much), I'd buy these again in a heartbeat - much better than the General Altimax Arctic I've used in the past 2 winters. They're maybe not as good in deep snow compared to the WS-80, but they come pretty close and have much better dry and wet road manners. Drove down UT-62 to UT-22 towards Bryce Canyon after a snowstorm when my side of the road was unplowed while the incoming lane was halfway plowed (resulting in me driving in the wrong lane and going back into my unplowed lane whenever a car came by) and never had any other tire given me that confidence that it did.

Earlier that same roadtrip it also saved me when I was driving down UT-313 at night to Canyonlands National Park (55-60mph) and my lane went from dry and plowed to half-plowed on the driver side and not plowed on the passenger side with a truck in the opposite lane. Talk about a starfish clenching moment.

I can't really tell you on their ice performance. There were a lot of patches of ice on UT-62 but either the ice patches weren't that bad or the tires were great on ice.

I used them on my 2015 Ford Focus and if I wasn't a person to try out new tires almost every year (because I drive so much), I'd buy these again in a heartbeat - much better than the General Altimax Arctic I've used in the past 2 winters. They're maybe not as good in deep snow compared to the WS-80, but they come pretty close and have much better dry and wet road manners. Drove down UT-62 to UT-22 towards Bryce Canyon after a snowstorm when my side of the road was unplowed while the incoming lane was halfway plowed (resulting in me driving in the wrong lane and going back into my unplowed lane whenever a car came by) and never had any other tire given me that confidence that it did.

Earlier that same roadtrip it also saved me when I was driving down UT-313 at night to Canyonlands National Park (55-60mph) and my lane went from dry and plowed to half-plowed on the driver side and not plowed on the passenger side with a truck in the opposite lane. Talk about a starfish clenching moment.

I can't really tell you on their ice performance. There were a lot of patches of ice on UT-62 but either the ice patches weren't that bad or the tires were great on ice.
Thank you for the review.

I just couldn’t bring myself to buy these with the mixed reviews. Found a set of hardly used WS-80 for $200 and went that route instead knowing I wouldn’t be disappointed. 👍🏻

Back