Goodyear Survey Reveals Winter Driving Attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autosphere.ca/tirenews/2012/11/07/goodyear-survey-reveals-disturbing-attitudes/

"...........According to the data compiled by Goodyear, more than 75% of drivers believe winter tires make a difference in challenging winter weather. Unfortunately, 58% of those living in cold-weather areas don’t use winter tires.

...........................19% claim they don’t drive any slower, even when roads are slippery. More than half of drivers (51%) say they fear other drivers more than they fear winter weather conditions.

............................ and 25% are unaware of the importance of putting winter tires on all four wheels........."

geez.
I never REALLY have to use winter tires every winter, but we live in NC..I did it once on my Tbird when it snowed in NC, and felt that it would have been harder without them...

NC is not the worst for snow, but when it does snow, I also fear other drivers behaving like idiots rather than the snow itself...

wonder how the numbers would be for the same survey if done in Europe...

Meh, no surprises there. That's really an advertisement masquerading as a survey. Personally, I think winter tires can make a big difference, but I don't bother since 90% of the winter is spent driving on clear roads, and quality all-season tires are fine most of the time. Snow and ice don't scare me as much as other drivers, though I don't think "scared" is the right word. When it's slippery out I'm not worried about me wiping out--it's the other guy who might take me out.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Meh, no surprises there. That's really an advertisement masquerading as a survey. Personally, I think winter tires can make a big difference, but I don't bother since 90% of the winter is spent driving on clear roads, and quality all-season tires are fine most of the time. Snow and ice don't scare me as much as other drivers, though I don't think "scared" is the right word. When it's slippery out I'm not worried about me wiping out--it's the other guy who might take me out.

What exactly are they advertising ? Are they saying if you use Goodyear Winter tires all will be well ?? As far as I can read it, they did a survey and released the info.

Winter tires are always going to be better in winter. Its like a full syn oil will always be better than an equivalent conventional. Most of the U.S. has grown up using all season tires though. And while most do just fine, they do have a lower threshold for error and when the error occurs, the results are not pretty. Personally I had my one and only big crash in my life driving through a snow storm in PA ( I was in college so obviously thought I was invincible to atmospheric changes ).

In most case, as long as the customer makes a smart choice with their all season tires, it should suffice in most of the snowy situations if not all. Ice is a different beast all together.

I got a mailer from Tire rack a few years back. Its basic premise on the outside was "find out if you need winter tires-- open me up."

I opened it up, and it said... "yes".

220px-Carnac.jpg

A lot of folks think that the only reason to fit M&S tyres is because of snow. In fact the braking performance of the average winter tyre is better than a summer one once the temperature is below 7C, so there is good reason for using winter tyres when it is cold regardless of snow considerations.

We put on snow tires onto both cars since they make things work that much better in the winter. Many fewer worries about avoiding the yahoos when the weather turns nasty. Both cars see enough driving on roads that get dicey with a few flakes to make the snow tires worthwhile.

I've gotten through winter on all-seasons before, and on snow tires. I'll take the snows.

I've lived in Colorado my entire life, with and without 4-wheel drive and with and without front wheel drive; I've only ever once ran a dedicated set of snow tires and that's on our current t&c minivan.

We run the Hankook W409 year-round on this van; but we didn't buy them for snow, honestly, we live on a dirt road that can and does turn to mud in spring/early winter, we needed a tire that could give the van extra grip year-round in all seasons.

This tire has been excellent for that purpose and honestly is not wearing out any faster then a standard all-season tire would've. We have 35k miles on them, they don't look a day over 10k miles...so if we get 45-50k we've gotten our money out of them.

Before living on this dirt road though, I've never bought dedicated snow tires; all of our trucks do run high quality A/T tires however.

If we were to buy an actual *car* again, it too would probably run these Hankook's year round, for ease of accessing the dirt roads in our county.

I buy winter tires because of the superior control that I feel they provide in bad winter weather. I am of the mind that when the conditions aren't right, especially with ice, to stay off the roads. Not always doable, and while I've always gotten through on all seasons when th situation arose, snows just give a better feel. Would I get them on all cars? No. Are they beneficial to avoid others as he's as possible? Yes.

Nothing is going to help you when dealing with ice or with snow that turns the car to a plow.

Originally Posted By: Goodyear Article
The survey also finds that 23% of drivers wait until the first storm to put on winter tires, and 25% are unaware of the importance of putting winter tires on all four wheels.

I live in Colorado, and there might be several months between the first storm, and the next storm, with 70 degree weather between both events. So why would I put the snow tires on before the first storm, anyway?

We had a bit of snow on Saturday.
Its going to be in the 50's pretty much for the next 2 weeks.
Why would I want to put my snow tires on before the temp gets consistently down below 45, and just wear out my expensive snow tires on my RX-8 if I don't need to?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Goodyear Article
The survey also finds that 23% of drivers wait until the first storm to put on winter tires, and 25% are unaware of the importance of putting winter tires on all four wheels.

I live in Colorado, and there might be several months between the first storm, and the next storm, with 70 degree weather between both events. So why would I put the snow tires on before the first storm, anyway?

We had a bit of snow on Saturday.
Its going to be in the 50's pretty much for the next 2 weeks.
Why would I want to put my snow tires on before the temp gets consistently down below 45, and just wear out my expensive snow tires on my RX-8 if I don't need to?

BC.

I'm going to start looking around thanksgiving to put on my snow tire/rims. However if temps remain warm that may delayed by several weeks. I'm also way more afraid of other drivers in harsh winter conditions then anything else.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I buy winter tires because of the superior control that I feel they provide in bad winter weather. I am of the mind that when the conditions aren't right, especially with ice, to stay off the roads. Not always doable, and while I've always gotten through on all seasons when th situation arose, snows just give a better feel. Would I get them on all cars? No. Are they beneficial to avoid others as he's as possible? Yes.

Nothing is going to help you when dealing with ice or with snow that turns the car to a plow.
I have to disagree on the ice-the xB, with it's studless winters, would be my FIRST choice in icy weather-the 4WDs stay parked, even with their new A/Ts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back