Advice-winter or all weather?

2021 GLI. Don’t drive more than about 500 miles a month now but want to have the security of good winter performance if I do need to go out in the snow.

I’m looking at either 17 or 18 inch wheels with either snow or all weather tires. I like the all weather piece as they should last longer and could be driven longer into the spring months if needed.

I know snows will ultimately be the top performers, but wondering if you have thoughts on all weather vs snow. I’m hoping to make a decision soon and value the input of this group.

Thanks

The snow performance is just below performance winter tyres (like michelin Alpin), but tends to be better in the wet and dry. Performance winter tyres are worse on snow and ice as the more hardcore winter tyres but significantly better on wet or dry.

All-season tyres can't touch the winter performance of even all-weather tyres, and might or might not be on par on wet or dry, they tend to be focused more on longevity and fuel efficiency other than performance.

So how much better do you need? Tthe king of all weather tyres as far as snow performance goes seems to be Michelin Crossclimate 2.

If you're using separate wheels anyway, you might as well go with actual winter tires. You might like the Pirelli Sottozero tires, if they are available in your size. Otherwise, you could use Nokian WRG4 or the Nordman Solstice (the old WRG3). Nokian's all-weather tires are more winter-biased than others in the category.

The main purpose of all weather tires is for people who can only use one set of wheels/tires year-round.

2021 GLI. Don’t drive more than about 500 miles a month now but want to have the security of good winter performance if I do need to go out in the snow.

I’m looking at either 17 or 18 inch wheels with either snow or all weather tires. I like the all weather piece as they should last longer and could be driven longer into the spring months if needed.

I know snows will ultimately be the top performers, but wondering if you have thoughts on all weather vs snow. I’m hoping to make a decision soon and value the input of this group.

Thanks
I have Michelin CrossClimate 2's on the RX-350. They are noticeably better in the snow than the previous Michelin All-season tires. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: rcs
Watch this

only you can answer the question how important is each part of the tire performance.
There is no tire that does it all very well. There are trade offs.

What one gains in ice/snow loses in wet and dry.
Some models lose more, some less.

Krzys

Dedicated snows is the way to go. Especially only driving 500 miles a month you’re going to get like 6-8 winters out of them easily. Not worth worrying about the treadlife difference if you drive so little.

Thanks
Do you intend to drive in fresh snow before the plows come?

Yes = winter tires, like a Nordic winter tire, like the Michelin X-ice snow or Continental VikingContact 6.

No = all-weather tires, especially the Michelin CC2.

It also depends on your local climate. If your winters have a lot of rain and occasional snow, the something like a Nokian WRG4 or Michelin CrossClimate 2 might be good (Nokians are going to be more winter biased than the Michelins) as they will offer significantly better wet performance than a dedicated snow/winter. If your winter will be biased to freezing to sub-freezing temps and snow, then def a dedicated winter would be better.

Here in Metro Vancouver, I see a lot of Nokian WRG4 and Michelin CC2.

In either case, a second set consisting of summers or all-seasons is always a good idea during the warmer months of the year.

Do you think that performance winter tires are "dedicated snow/winter". It seems that some (Vredestein Quatrac Pro) are better in the wet than CC2.

And Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 is even better in the wet.

Krzyś

To me performance winters closely resemble all-weathers from a functional standpoint in that both feature slightly harder compound than dedicated winters. Performance winters and all-weather are likely to perform similarly in the wet and snow I think. Performance winters may have firmer sidewalls for more turn-in stability than all-weathers.

You'll find the softest of the tread compounds on dedicated (non-performance) winters only. I think.

Do you think that performance winter tires are "dedicated snow/winter". It seems that some (Vredestein Quatrac Pro) are better in the wet than CC2.

Krzyś
Technically they are. No UTQG ratings on them also.

"Performance Winter" and "Central European" winter tires are more focused on the freezing point range, where it may be snowy/icy or dry-cold or wet-cold, so hydroplaning resistance and block stability are still important in that category tire, but can still handle some deep snow.

The Nokian WR G4, the tread pattern is shared with the Nokian's central european winter tire WR A4, but who knows if there are compound differences or not?

Krzyś

Those tests were not conducted on the same days, and the results can not be compared. The tester says as much in his latest video, conditions changed drastically between the tests Vredestein quatrac pro is an all-weather tyre btw
But it's true that the CC has put snow capability as it's top priority, that's whay I don't buy them I did buy the original CC, as I need cold and wet performance much more than snow performance

To me performance winters closely resemble all-weathers from a functional standpoint in that both feature slightly harder compound than dedicated winters. Performance winters and all-weather are likely to perform similarly in the wet and snow I think. Performance winters may have firmer sidewalls for more turn-in stability than all-weathers.

You'll find the softest of the tread compounds on dedicated (non-performance) winters only. I think.

That's the confusing part In europe they are not performance winters, just winters... On the whole, all-weathers (which are called all-season there) are better in wet and dry conditions, but there's certainly a bit of crossover. None of them are sporty tyres.

We run Continental WinterContact SI Plus and General Tire Altimax Arctic 12 on wife's and daughter's cars and they are excellent, dry fresh snow, wet snow, slush and as good on ice as any quality winter tire; very quiet and smooth on dry pavement. General tires are cheaper but are equally good.

Back