Goodyear Comfortred vs Comfortdrive

I had to make an emergency road trip today. My luck I’m 3 hours from home in the rural PA and a chunk of concrete takes out the sidewall on one of my tires. 235/55/18. Went to all 3 tire shops in this village and only one shop had a single new tire that fit. My temp spare wasn’t gonna make it back home or to the destination. So I was forced to get the tire. It’s a Goodyear Assurance Comfortred.

the other 3 tires are OEM Toyos with not much life left on them. Maybe 5/32nds? I’m gonna replace them anyways. But turns out the Comfortred has been discontinued and replaced with Comfortdrive. The tread pattern is very similar, same rib set up with different siping.

would I be able to get away with 3 comfort drives and one comforted? The car is a Rav4 awd.

found the rolling diameter and revolutions per mile. Comfort drive is 0.1” smaller compared to the comfortred. Equates to 3.5/32nds difference. There would also be a difference of 5 revolutions per mile. I assume that’ll add up overtime.

Last edited:
See what kind of deal the tire place can make you trading in a "Red" and buying 4 "Drives", or 4 tires of your choosing. If not, as long as the tires are same size I wouldn't have a problem running the 3 + 1 Goodyears.

Oh man, I hate when that happens!
When you're ready to replace all 4 tires OF YOUR CHOICE, either sell the Good/Year AssuranceComfortread(G/Y ACT's) or use it as a spare tire on a steel wheel and get rid of that pitiful space saver spare(SSS) considering it's probably shot now anyway and you'll need something for an emergency tire.

I know, I know, it is extra cost in your budget however, at least consider it.

Shop around when you get home, try and find three more Comfortred. must be some tires shops with some lying around.??

Simple Tire is still selling the older style ComforTreds on eBay for $220 each. They actually have an auction running for 2, and another auction for 1. Problem solved.

The ComforTred is the only tire that I've ever put on three different vehicles. Yes, I liked them that much. It's a tire that performs well, that Goodyear produced for many, many years.

Since you're getting new tires anyway, consider 3-peak all-season tires if snow is a concern and you don't use separate winter tires.

Back