Goodyear Assurance vs Conti Purecontacts ?

Speaking of the Conti PureContacts, I just had a set put on my '16 Buick LaCrosse a couple of hours ago. I drove home the usual way, about 50/50 good road surfaces and bad. The Contis felt and sounded fantastic on the good roads and great on the bad ones.

I found myself grinning as I drove more than once.

Got them installed just a bit ago and so far, I'm impressed. I can hear the engine (a tiny 1.5L Ecoboost) more than the tires/road now ! I drove with the radio off for all but the last 5 minutes just to listen! :DThe final verdict will be if my wife says anything.

They also feel a bit softer. The BFG's were firm, not uncomfortable though, but yeah, firmer.

Got them installed just a bit ago and so far, I'm impressed. I can hear the engine (a tiny 1.5L Ecoboost) more than the tires/road now ! I drove with the radio off for all but the last 5 minutes just to listen! :DThe final verdict will be if my wife says anything.

They also feel a bit softer. The BFG's were firm, not uncomfortable though, but yeah, firmer.
I think they are going to be a good tire for me, and I hope for you. The roads where I live are often more like cart tracks, so I wanted something to insulate me from them. I'd held off on buying a BMW for a long time, because they were reputed to have stiff suspensions, and the run-flat tires that come on them now make the ride worse. But my 3 Series last year was very comfortable, and so were its RFTs -- Continentals.

My wife has spoken, "They're soooo quiet. I didn't have to turn the radio up." The BFGs had decent tread on them but about 18-24 months ago, they just got super loud. Annoyingly loud. My initial thought was a wheel bearing but the wheels had no wobble when you check them when jacked up, no increased temperatures, and the noise remained relatively constant in the time since they first got noisy whereas bearings would generally get worse and quickly worse.

Also, with winter (snow) coming, I figured it was better now vs waiting.

In case anyone comes across this in the future, I can add another positive about these Conti tires - improved fuel economy. On a ~170 round trip yesterday, with speeds ranging from 65-80 mph, I saw 35 mpg in the car ('14 Fusion w/ 1.5L Ecoboost). For a period of that trip, I set the cruise control at 67 mph for 10-12 minutes and maintained 39 mpg. I couldn't maintain this speed though as we were definitely not keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Back