Goodyear Assurance Outlast Tire Review

So I took advantage of the $20 discount and free mount/balance on Black Friday for my 2007 Toyota Avalon. I just purchased the car and has like new Michelin Premier A/S tires but the date code is 4016 so decided to just replace them due to age, the Michelins have zero signs of wear/cracks anywhere. Opted for the Assurance Outlast tire at the recommendation of the sales associate, he promoted the 80K treadlife and the fact the tire is quiet. With the Michelin tires on the highway have zero noise. Once the Goodyears were on I got on the interstate and immediately noticed over about 65 a loud humming noise coming from the tires and got worse at 75. I felt as if the tires had a mind of their own and they didnt even seem to track straight. After I put 200 miles on the tires I went back to Walmart and they agreed something was wrong and shockingly refunded my money and even re-mounted my old tires. The tire had a visual appearance of being quality, but the combination of the NEW tires having a 3421 date code and the overall poor performance on the road, I think ill just run the Premier A/S another year and replace with the Defender 2 at the next $110 off sale at Discount Tire.

71aa8878-2325-46e7-9bff-aa8dc3a7dec6.4589aecbe4789f76ce73f72027afd315.jpeg

That's an interesting way of indicating remaining tread left.... listing the numerator.

So I took advantage of the $20 discount and free mount/balance on Black Friday for my 2007 Toyota Avalon. I just purchased the car and has like new Michelin Premier A/S tires but the date code is 4016 so decided to just replace them due to age, the Michelins have zero signs of wear/cracks anywhere. Opted for the Assurance Outlast tire at the recommendation of the sales associate, he promoted the 80K treadlife and the fact the tire is quiet. With the Michelin tires on the highway have zero noise. Once the Goodyears were on I got on the interstate and immediately noticed over about 65 a loud humming noise coming from the tires and got worse at 75. I felt as if the tires had a mind of their own and they didnt even seem to track straight. After I put 200 miles on the tires I went back to Walmart and they agreed something was wrong and shockingly refunded my money and even re-mounted my old tires. The tire had a visual appearance of being quality, but the combination of the NEW tires having a 3421 date code and the overall poor performance on the road, I think ill just run the Premier A/S another year and replace with the Defender 2 at the next $110 off sale at Discount Tire.
I think the Primacy's are gonna be a softer ride than the defender 2's. If the car tracks straight and is, otherwise, OK , I'd stick with the Primacy line of tires. .02

I loved their Ultragrip Ice WRTs, everything about it defied Goodyear logic. Looking at trying their current winter tire offerings.
I have the Winter Command Ultra. They worked well in the snow/ice we had last year. Not too noisy and were good in wet/dry. I haven't had to push them in any extreme braking/cornering tests.

The tread width / contact patch is about 1" less than the same size X-ice Snow a friend has. I went back 3 times for balancing including paying for road force at Goodyear dealer who said there were no issues. Not crazy shaking just annoying slight vibration especially around 70mph.

If I could justify (afford) the cost to get some X-ice Snows, or VC7 instead, I would. It's annoying an road trips. Car is smooth on the 3 seasons.

Reactions: Pew
Probably not the tires, most likely a bad job balancing.
Could be but after 3 times and paying for the Hunter Road Force that "hopefully" they actually did, I still have vibrations. I'm torn because the 3 local places that have road force want $170 to do it again. That might only tell me that 1-2 are out of spec for the road force so will vibrate anyway.

That $170 is 1 new Michelin X-ice installed. I got the GY WC as an upgrade/prorate on failed Assurance WeatherReady's with separating sidewalls. With what I paid for the upgrade and the multiple balances I could have had the Michelin or Conti already.

The Prorate/upgrade WAS a good deal until not being smooth and trying to have fixed. The bitter taste of poor quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of the initial cheap price.

Back