Goodrich Precept touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a set installed at Discount this afternoon. Apparently, they are a Discount exclusive tire made by BFG.

mtapt6.ang.jpg

They are absolutely phenomenal in the snow for an all season tire. Where I was spinning out and getting stuck in my neighborhood with the old Goodyear Assurances, I can now floor it in my car and barely spin out. They are light years better then the Goodyears when they were new. The Precepts have an insane amount of full depth siping for ice and snow, similar to a snow tire. The compound is obviously harder though. If you need an All season tire that can truly get through snow (and we still have several inches on the streets around my house, including deep snow drifts), I'd highly recommend these.

I only got 48,000 miles out of the 80,000 mile Goodyears, so with the tread warranty, which Discount happily gave me with no question, I got out the door with the new BFGs for $149
shocked.gif

I'm always buying tires now with high tread warranties (the BFGs have 70K), it pays in the long run. The guy at Discount agreed as tires never make it all the way and Discount Tire themselves honor the warranty of the tire manufacturers.

This is on my 94 Toyota Corolla.

Quote:

I only got 48,000 miles out of the 80,000 mile Goodyears

It is odd that the most well known tire companys cant make tires to go the distance. My father wore out his Eagles @ 19K (Taurus SHO), and Yoko's @30K(Forester). My $80 Sears Roadhandlers (made by michelin and 80K wearout warranty) looked good for a few more months even with 118K miles on them.

I am currently running $65 Cooper Lifeliner II"s and I'll have no problem getting 80-90K miles from them. I generally hate buying tires so it is the longest treadlife I can find for me.

Last edited:
I love my BFG Traction TA's too. They have over 32K on them now and are at 8/32" from 11/32" and rated at 60 or 65K. I will make that easy.

I used to work at Sears and the BFG Revelations they have (Sears only brand) are great Cheapy tires. Nothing spectacular but for the price you get your moneys worth and then some. Cheapest tire I'd put on anything but at least they hold up well and don't look like a flat. (Guardsman from sears look flat and I am not talking radial flat but like maybe 10PSI flat).

This very same tire is exclusive to Canadian Tire in Canada.

I'm interested in your opinion now that you've had these for a few months.

I really like them. They are a hair on the noisy side but my Corolla is just plain noisy to begin with. They ride good, handling isn't the greatest, but traction in snow is amazing for an all season tire. They've worked well even on solid ice. I don't care much about the handling so much as I want superb traction in crummy conditions and these do it, especially in deep snow.

One minor negative thing I've noticed about them is they suck up rocks and pebbles into the siping like crazy and that I think accounts for a lot of the noise.

I'd consider these a snow tire that can be run year round.

Another update on these tires; still like them a lot. In heavy rain with lots of standing water on the road, they go through like a hot knife through buttah with no hydroplaning, and I've hit huge puddles doing 60-70 mph. Pretty good for a 2350 lb rollerskate of a car!

I put a similar tire on my 1995 Intrepid. The BF Goodrich Premier Touring from Costco.The best tire the car has ever had. It came from the factory with Michelins. I replaced them with the noisy Hankook High Mileage. 80,000 warranty lasted 45,000 miles. The BFG's handle the best in rain and the dry.I will buy them for my 'new' 2000 Intrepid when it needs them!

Same tires on a Buick Century. I really like these tires. So far they have not been run in the snow, but handle well on wet roads, very quiet, and wearing well.

Bump again; I LOVE these tires. They are the first all season tire I've used that is comparable to a snow tire (although they're not quite there on solid ice). We've received about 6 to 8 inches of sloppy wet snow that froze on the roads and then the snow turned more powdery/dry. Roads are pretty bad and cars getting stuck on hills and such at stoplights. Not even an issue with these tires. I don't have ABS and they brake awesome in snow as well.

Because they have so much siped tread with pretty wide tread blocks, they definitely are not a performance tire; the sidewalls and tread roll over a fair bit in hard cornering, but they plow through snow with ease and by far the best rain tire I've used. My 2300 lb roller skate just plows through standing water on the roads at highway speed without even a hint of hydroplaning. They ride super soft as well.

Oh, and tread wear has been amazing. I have about 10,000 miles on them and there is hardly any wear. The Goodyears I had previously were worn a decent bit at the same mileage.

I have a set on my wife's 01 Camry. They were installed in 2003 and have about 60k on them. They are PHENOMENAL in wet weather (important in the Seattle area). THey are a touch noisy but nothing earth shattering. My experiance with them in snow is good as well but I prefer the Yokohama AVID TRZ a touch better in snow (might just be the difference in vehicles).

They are wearing pretty well, my wife wasn't good about letting me know about mileages and such so rotation was not done much. Two are wearing down and two are getting along just fine. I am beginning to wonder about the tire compound getting old as I am seeing fine cracks on the outside of the tread blocks. I will likely replace them with TRZs or AVID Touring when the time comes unless the price difference is huge.

The only reason I bought the Precept was that the Yokohama tires I REALLY wanted were out of stock and we had a trip that the OEM General (JUNK) wouldn't be safe for. The Precept turned out to be a decent buy after all and I have been pleased with them so far.

-Coug

Last edited:
All tires are fairly good in adverse conditions when they're new, due to their fresh, full, unworn tread, even the crappiest OEM tires. Thus all exhilarated feedback and excitement from the owners on Tire Rack and everywhere else, people just lead and misguided by their ignorance or/and emotions at the moment instead of clear, rational thinking. But don't get your hopes up too much, because it usually leads to overconfidence and possible bad road situations. Besides you have to compare it to sometething better or at least similiar, and not to your old worn out OEM's, for of course difference will be fairly obvious.

Duh, certain tires are much better when new compared to others, as I indicated. All new tires are good in adverse conditions.....so I guess I'll go with the Pirelli P-Zeros instead of Nokians next winter...
crackmeup2.gif

I'm comparing Goodyear Comfortreads (a super premium tire by anyone's calculation) to these tires. New vs. new. These tires are hands down better new vs. any other tire I've had, NEW. I'm not ignorant about tires. Don't say anyone is ignorant about tires when you have this to fall back on:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=72309&Number=927780#Post927780

I don't buy "raving reviews", not here, not on tirerack mainly due to the fact they're written by people like you. When I said ALL, I meant all-season tires, because we talking about all-season tires here, so what are you talking about Pirellis comparing to Nokians? You like to pick on words or you just need everything chewed out to you? Despite you "liking them so much" it doesn't change the cold facts that these are all-season touring tires, they simply cannot be equal or better than winter tires due to their tread construction and rubber compaund. Those cold hard facts has to be taken into the consideration whether you want it or not, so all your ravings here are way too subjective and don't mean anything. I may belive they are ok in snow(so is any other ALL-SEASON tire when new), but I don't believe they are THAT great. When they wear out a bit and people start complaining that that these tires lost their snow handling qualities, I'm sure they will have someone overexcited and misleading to thank. It's just like with these Goodyear Triple Treads hype spread by their owners. You either exaggerating, or just don't know any better.

And when someone believes you that sunlight doesn't affect tire pressure and they end up with one side of the vehicle 5 pounds low and wreck, guess who they'll thank!
crackmeup2.gif

You haven't personally used these tires. I have - they are great traction tires. I merely posted this so others would consider them as I've had experience with a lot of all season tires in inclement weather - to include heavy snow and flooding rain. No, not every all season tire is the same in terms of performance, even when new. Anyone (other than you apparently) would come to that conclusion (especially those with Goodyear Integrity's or Bridgestone RE-92s).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
No, not every all season tire is the same in terms of performance, even when new.

As I already mentioned we talking about SNOW HANDLING PERFORMANCE, and general truce is that meanwhile some all-season tires may be better than others, generally they all c r a p due to their tread pattern, compaund and construction. Especially touring tires with a long tread warranty, those are garbage of tire by defenition, because there are no miracles. So you probably exaggerating too much, or never had real winter tires to compare with, thus your post is misleading. And that's MY POINT. It's just like another genious here, who were comparing studded and non-studded winter tires. I noticed every time person gets a new tires, they start raving about them like it's the best tire in the world. You really need to start reading more carefully, this advise is for sunlight topic as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back