Good quality water hose ?

Looking to buy a couple water hoses. In times past I acquired /bought the black rubber Craftsman hoses. They lasted for many years. However when we moved cross country 4 years ago I gave away all but 1 of them to friends before departing. Finally now that we're settled I've been looking for a similar hose that will last for years, if not decades. Ive tried what I thought would be a good one, a red rubber hose from the local lumber/hardware store, it lastes a little over a year. The nearest I've found to the old Craftsman appears to be the black rubber hose marketed by Briggs and Stratton. It has mixed reviews. What do you all recommend?

The gray Flexogen I have now has been in use for 10 years. Stored in an enclosed reel, which is the only way it would have lasted this long in Texas. It gets dragged on the concrete and along brick edging all the time, no sign of failure.

Home Depot has some high quality hoses, I picked up a real heavy duty one a few years ago that has huge brass couplings. It's nice and thick too so it doesn't kink.

26 years ago I purchased a Wal Mart top of the line 75 ft rubber hose. Still using it. Has a lifetime warranty.

I bought a nice US made rubber hose the spring after we bought our house from orscheln farms. Wish I could remember the brand, but it was very nice. Flexible, didn’t kink etc. I ended up hitting it with the mower last fall.

I thought about trying flexzilla too. I’m wanting a nice reel with 200’ of hose, but I don’t want to spend the money on it right now.

I bought the Felxzilla for my garage year round hose. It doesnt kink like other hoses and stays flexible even when used in the winter.

Sometimes I like the black HD hoses, but they are crazy stiff when ever coolish.

I use Flexzilla now for our 6 spigots. They last and perfect flex
i have the same black hose. yes, it gets very tough to work with in the winter time. on the other hand it doesn't kink and has very little visible wear.

Looking to buy a couple water hoses. In times past I acquired /bought the black rubber Craftsman hoses. They lasted for many years.
Isnt that funny. We just moved to our new home, I intentionally left my hose reel and Craftsmen Black Rubber Hoses behind, simply because we were tight on space and figured they were now 15 years old.
Just was talking about this to my wife. I kind of regret leaving them now. I dont think you will ever find anything to replace them. Anyway, whatever bid box retailer I was just in Sam's Club or Costco I just picked up what they call a premium 125 Foot Hose. It's not rubber that is for sure and will never be as flexible as those Craftsmen.
(With that said, unknown to me, I just did a search on Amazon and a few black rubber hoses came up in the results)

Looking to buy a couple water hoses. In times past I acquired /bought the black rubber Craftsman hoses. They lasted for many years. However when we moved cross country 4 years ago I gave away all but 1 of them to friends before departing. Finally now that we're settled I've been looking for a similar hose that will last for years, if not decades. Ive tried what I thought would be a good one, a red rubber hose from the local lumber/hardware store, it lastes a little over a year. The nearest I've found to the old Craftsman appears to be the black rubber hose marketed by Briggs and Stratton. It has mixed reviews. What do you all recommend?
I have that B&S hose. Sits on the west side of the house, against brick, so gets the hot sun in the summer evenings, and stays outside year round. Has been one the better hoses Ive had. Not stiff and kinky, good rubber, holding up good for the last 4 years Ive had it. I’d buy another if i needed one.

I bought my Craftsman rubber hoses at Ace Hardware maybe 3 years ago? Great deals with the BF sale. It appears they've been discontinued, if still not delisted in some places, but if you're desperate, you can troll the local stores for NOS.

The B&S hose appears to be a dead ringer for the Craftsman -- the hexagonal shape, couplings, and packaging. Lowes stocks the 50ft version and Bezosland has the longer ones.

Home Despot has Conti- and Goodyear-branded (with the massive coupling) rubber hoses, but I haven't examined them closely to see how good they are. At least that's easy to do.

What I really miss is a decent hose reel cart somewhere between the Suncast plastic junk and the ELEYs in quality. Not sure Gorilla fits that bill.

It puzzles me how Suncast can continually find people to buy that garbage, and it's not even what I'd consider cheap.

Flexogen hoses all the way.

First ones we purchased about 40 years ago were manufactured by Gates. Have never sprung a leak. I believe that Gates sold the Flexogen brand to Gilmore. Today I would purchase the Flexogen Heavy Duty or Super Duty hoses.

Back