Good Oil Options for my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3, mine however is the LC9 Flex fuel variant.

I run PP 5w30 and currently a Fram Ultra. The motor seems to love this oil (purrs like a kitten). I decided to pull off the oil filler tube during an oil change yesterday mostly because I like the look of the oil cap on the valve cover as opposed to the tube that was leaking at the o-ring. That did give me the opportunity to take a gander inside the valve cover and it was spotless.

I've had my truck since 85k, it's had one fill of Amsoil, and with the exception of one 3k OCI with Rotella T6 and MMO it's only ever had PP.

Oh, before I forget... One word of advice on the oil level. Make sure to check the oil only after it's sat overnight for accuracy. I found the lost 1/2 to 1 quart by changing from checking it while fueling (after it had ran for a bit) to checking after it has sat.

Edited to add: I'm currently at 112k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Towing a 5000 lb boat in the heat of summer is not easy driving IMO. I would (and have used in my BB Suburban) M1 15W-50, especially with that many miles on the engine. Or maybe the M1 0W-40, but I don't have any experience with that. Towing heavy loads in the hot summer might be pushing a 5W-30.

Get out of the Stone Age. Unless this particular 5.3 is air cooled no way is an oil that thick even remotely a good idea. It's gonna lower his fuel economy and make the engine feel very sluggish,which is the opposite of what your after when towing a load. Stick around for a while and maybe read all the stickies,they should help put those yesterday ideas to bed and help you see the light of a new day.
OP. I have a 5.3 4x4 silverado. It's not the cylinder cutout or flex fuel one though.
As to you last post,if you are adding significant make up oil,for example 1quart per 1000 miles you really don't need to change the oil,just change the filter.
My truck has a puny oil filter so I don't try extending its use,5000 miles and its done.
As far as trying to curb consumption you have a plethora of options. You can try a high mileage oil or you can go up a grade and see what works.
Personally I would switch to the mighty M1 0w-40. It's one of the best oils on earth,its more than capable of longer drains,its stellar in the winter cold and more than enough for the summer heat pulling a trailer. I'd try it first,or German castrol 0w-30. It's also a stellar performer and its a 30 grade which is what your after anyways.
If going the high mileage oil route there are many options. Valvoline maxlife gets alot of love around here as well as the Mobil offering. Quaker state defy is a high mileage oil and I'm liking it so far in my hemi.
I found my 5.3 was picky about oil. It didn't like Mobil whatsoever. The piston slap at start up was way worse with M1 that the old oil it replaced. I tried Amsoil SSO 5w-30,royal purple,Quaker state ultimate durability,the royal purple euro oil and PYB(I'm sure I missed a few)
Of all the oils I tried the truck had almost no audible slap with RP,Amsoil,qsud and PYB. So I finally settled on PYB. It can always be found on rollback at Walmart for dirt cheap and my truck runs great with it.

I vote for castrol gtx high mileage,10w30 summer & 5w30 when it cools down. Going from 5 to 10 won't hurt anyting in your engine, I never listen to the manual lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back