Good Oil For LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if anyone can give me some good recomendations for oil to use in an LS1 engine. I hear alot of good things about Delo 400 and delvac 1300 15w40. Is that to heavy to use. i dont care about a loss of horsepower with heavy oil i would rather have protection.

I tried Royal Purple in my LT1 camaro but the pressure ran alot lower than with other oils so i dont plan on using that again. All help will be greatful..

JR

Patman could help you with this one. I'd say M1 0w-40, 10w-30, Delvac 1, any of Amsoil's 30wts. or Schaeffer's. Or mix M1 5w-30 with some 15w-50. Redline would be excellent I think if you drive it hard. All of these are excellent oils. Mobil 1 is on the thin side and from what I hear from the big LS1 fans, is that it's too thin and consumption is an issue. There is a study going on right now and consumption has not been an issue althouth to some, wear numbers are not too good.

[ July 04, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

The LS1 engines seem to like slightly thicker 30wt oils, something like Amsoil 5w30/10w30 or Redline 5w30/10w30. Thicker doesn't always equal better protection though. You'll most likely get better wear protection from Amsoil or Redline's 30wt oils than you will with those two dino oils you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back