Good lord the AGM batteries are heavy!

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Picked up an Interstate H6 AGM battery for my Sportwagen back in February. My car came with an H5. Swapped it out for another H5 Die Hard from Advance today to drop some weight up front...my car is v. basic and has no reason for the AGM monster. H6 AGM = 44.6 pounds....H5 lead acid = 35.5. Almost 10 pounds saved! I'll just sell the Interestate off.

Just swapped out the H6 battery in my Daughters 20 Kia Soul Turbo, sucker is HEAVY. o_O
1662742922679.png

more weight = more lead + more starting power + prolly lasts longer if kept properly charged. not a fan of overpriced AGM's if a similar flooded battery fits + battery power shrinks in the cold, again MORE is better IMO!! most people could loose 10 or MORE lbs + be healthier as well while saving $$$ on todays overpriced food!!

Picked up an Interstate H6 AGM battery for my Sportwagen back in February. My car came with an H5. Swapped it out for another H5 Die Hard from Advance today to drop some weight up front...my car is v. basic and has no reason for the AGM monster. H6 AGM = 44.6 pounds....H5 lead acid = 35.5. Almost 10 pounds saved! I'll just sell the Interestate off.
All things being equal, the bigger the battery: The longer they last. Size matters in Batteries.

My F-150 battery lasted over 7 years and I replaced it with an AGM battery. Time will tell if it's a value. I do like the idea that the AGM battery can be run down and it wont hurt it. Walmart sold me on the AGM since they said it was the best hahahaha.

All things being equal, the bigger the battery: The longer they last. Size matters in Batteries.
If I get 5 years out of a battery that's plenty for me, no need to get a few more years and drag around 10 extra pounds for me.

Reactions: FZ1
Isn't a lot of that weight because it was an H6 versus an H5? AAP says their Die Hard AGM is 39.6 lbs.

Interesting too because i just dropped an H7 in our Cruze, the lead acid was only 2 pounds lighter than the AGM (if you can trust the WM site).

Isn't a lot of that weight because it was an H6 versus an H5? AAP says their Die Hard AGM is 39.6 lbs.

Interesting too because i just dropped an H7 in our Cruze, the lead acid was only 2 pounds lighter than the AGM (if you can trust the WM site).

Comparing an H6 AGM to an H5 FLA isn't exactly apples-to-apples.

A typical store-brand "premium" level FLA H6 is about ~39-40 lbs.

The next step up, and top-shelf AGM H6 is ~45-47 lbs.

If the published spec figures are to be believed, that's a potential 20% difference at the higher end of the range. But like you I wouldn't trust those specs to be entirely accurate, or necessarily up to date in every case either.

Batt+ only lists a 2.5 lb difference between their EP-made Duracell AGM H6 and best FLA H6.

Between sizing options and lower-capacity "value" level models, there's certainly room to play with regard to weight, if highest capacity isn't an absolute need.

BTW, the Porsche lightweight lithium racing battery pictured above lists for $3600.

Interesting, I had no idea the there was a difference. I was in a jam where my battery died on vacation. Walmart had two H7's, one lead acid one AGM, and the price difference was only $20 (149-179). Had I know I would have gotten AGM, but I was just happy to not be stranded. Both batteries looked pretty much the same, made in korea. The one I bought which is supposedly lead acid was still heavy as hell.

Interesting, I had no idea the there was a difference. I was in a jam where my battery died on vacation. Walmart had two H7's, one lead acid one AGM, and the price difference was only $20 (149-179). Had I know I would have gotten AGM, but I was just happy to not be stranded. Both batteries looked pretty much the same, made in korea. The one I bought which is supposedly lead acid was still heavy as hell.

AGMs ARE lead-acid.

It's just that the acid is Absorbed into Glass Mats (AGM). This means that the battery won't leak if tipped upside down nor will it (usually) leak if the case is broken.

I thought you weren't supposed to put AGM where a traditional lead acid was before, unless you also tell the vehicle you're doing that?
Eh. I had a Duracell AGM from Sam's Club in my old 2011 Silverado for 3 years and never had an issue. It wasn't a daily driver vehicle either.

If I get 5 years out of a battery that's plenty for me, no need to get a few more years and drag around 10 extra pounds for me.
Just lettin' you know. If the back wheels ain't off the ground, the battery ain't 2 heavy.

Back