good day teaching a friend about rear brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
a good friend of mine asked me for help with the rear brakes on his beater commuter taurus. it was a nice car back in the day, loaded with leather, etc., but now has over 300K.
the garage he took it to says he needs new drums, it's going to cost $300!
I take a look, it has DISCS, I tell him we can do it sat afternoon.
quick trip to Autozone, duralast pads for $15.99, and about 2hrs work we were done.
found issues: one slider pin was rusted, inside pad was dragging. on the other side, as first look they seemed ok, BUT checking more carefully, I saw the inside pad was installed crooked, wearing at an angle!

anyway, he was blown away that we could do a $300 job for so cheap!
the car has a lot of other issues, but he just needs to keep it running for cheap for now. rear tires are shot, rear swaybar links are busted, etc.

I did a brake and road handling module at school just recently....

Was one of the most fun modules we did... Everyone paid attention in class and got along well in shop...

One guy redid his rear drums on a Chev Cavalier... Our cost was 8$ for NEW rear drums EACH.

Learning how to do your own brakes is awesome.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Our old Civic was a dream to do the brakes. I still pay a shop to bleed the brake fluid.

Why?

Brake bleeding is an overpriced service.

Turkey baster the old fluid out of the master cylinder, fill to the top with fresh fluid.

Crack all of your bleeders so they just drip with the car level on stands.

Have a beer and just keep an eye on the Master level. When it drips clear close the bleeders.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Great! Brakes are easy & rewarding.

Yes, it's such an improvement when a car actually stops!
grin.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Our old Civic was a dream to do the brakes. I still pay a shop to bleed the brake fluid.

Why?

Lazy.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Note that the $300 job included labor, which you did not charge.
And, they would have done a LOT more.

maybe yes, but I did what needed to be done; cleaned and lubed the sliders, scuffed the rotors, new pads and even sprayed the back of the pads with the anti-squeal stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back