Might Have Gotten Counterfeit Brake Pads

I had to do rear brakes on the 17 Subaru today. It had only been 27k since I did them using Power Stop pads and new rotors. I was surprised for sure. I'm in a pretty hilly area and normally get 38-40k per change since new. New went 46 IIRC. My driving is pretty consistent so that is ruled out. Check out the pic...either a counterfeit or a manufacturing issue. Either way SUX!! They were ordered from RockAuto. Packaging looked like it should as far I saw.

Replaced with CarQuest Platinum pads and rotors. By friends shop cost was $119 so I got off easy! Let me know what you guys think of this. One pic was posted but both sides looked the same.

17 Outback Pad.jpg

1 front and 1 rear pad? what did the rest look like?

I havent been a fan of powerstop for about 8 years now.

Powerstop's pads aren't the greatest. Their Geomet coated rotors are awesome, but their pads not so much.

Pair the rotors with Akebono, Advics, Wagner Thermoquiet or OEX, EBC Ultimax2/Blackstuff, or OEM. Rock Auto doesn't sell EBC, but their pads are awesome.

Raybestos EHT pads are popular on here, but some people reported a short lifespan on them.

I did new pads in October. They were worn to nothing as of 3 weeks ago. Only got about 5500 miles out of brand new pads.

Apparently the calipers were dragging bad. Unfortunately, my sense of smell never recovered from that thing. Apparently I couldn't smell hot brakes the entire time. But the blue spots on the rotor was a good indicator that the pistons were dragging.

I had to do rear brakes on the 17 Subaru today. It had only been 27k since I did them using Power Stop pads and new rotors. I was surprised for sure. I'm in a pretty hilly area and normally get 38-40k per change since new. New went 46 IIRC. My driving is pretty consistent so that is ruled out. Check out the pic...either a counterfeit or a manufacturing issue. Either way SUX!! They were ordered from RockAuto. Packaging looked like it should as far I saw.

Replaced with CarQuest Platinum pads and rotors. By friends shop cost was $119 so I got off easy! Let me know what you guys think of this. One pic was posted but both sides looked the same.

View attachment 147807
What is going on with the pad on the right? That looks more of a caliper issue (probably electronic park brake) than a pad issue. Did you release the park brake with a scan tool before diving in?

Powerstop has a few different options for brake pads, but they don't claim to be extended life pads.

Which one did you think you ordered?

That's a caliper issue, looks like the slides are sticking.
And the pads look like ATE calipers too. BMW who uses a lot of ATE on their cars says no lube on the caliper bolts or bushings, and I don’t think they want lube on the pad ears - only the pad backs.

Also, Subaru’s ESP implementation does use the rears more for EBD. It’s common for a Subaru to need rear pads before the fronts.

What is going on with the pad on the right? That looks more of a caliper issue (probably electronic park brake) than a pad issue. Did you release the park brake with a scan tool before diving in?
Good point - a lot of new cars need the park brake placed in the service position. I see a lot of DIYers messing up brake jobs.

Good point - a lot of new cars need the park brake placed in the service position. I see a lot of DIYers messing up brake jobs.
I knew buying a ThinkCar tool was gonna come in handy - but shouldn’t a failed EPB also throw a chassis code and light up the brake warning light?

1 front and 1 rear pad? what did the rest look like?

I havent been a fan of powerstop for about 8 years now.

Just the rears....both sides looked like that. My friend is a professional mech I'm a shade tree novice. I was worried it was a caliper issue but couldn't find anything wrong. He checked it out before I installed the new pads and calipers were fine.

Yes and reset is required afterward as well on the 17 Outback.

Been happy with EBC Red(for road) and Yellow Stuff(for track) if you can get them for your car. Considering Hawk Ceramic for the first time on a BMW 328i, rear wheel drive, 6-speed manual. Go to would be BMW or Brembo, as has the MBrake blue calipers. Scan tool is on order as haven't yet played with deactivating the parking brake on any vehicles, but guessing may not be needed as has a traditional handbrake.

I had to do rear brakes on the 17 Subaru today. It had only been 27k since I did them using Power Stop pads and new rotors. I was surprised for sure.

View attachment 147807
Had similar issue on an 2017 Crosstrek - but a different pad and caliper design I can see.

My problem was the locating ears on the aftermarket pads were not stamped cleanly as they were binding in the calipers. I had to clean up the ears with a file even on the replacement set. But those were the entry line AutoZone brakes.

Just the rears....both sides looked like that. My friend is a professional mech I'm a shade tree novice. I was worried it was a caliper issue but couldn't find anything wrong. He checked it out before I installed the new pads and calipers were fine.
Why do the pads have different ear designs? I thought the left was a front and the right the rear?
Its been 5 years or so since I looked at the 13 outback brakes.

Had similar issue on an 2017 Crosstrek - but a different pad and caliper design I can see.

My problem was the locating ears on the aftermarket pads were not stamped cleanly as they were binding in the calipers. I had to clean up the ears with a file even on the replacement set. But those were the entry line AutoZone brakes.
I had to this on Powerstop pads once for the front of our '08 F150. No rust jacking under the slides but the pad backer was basically a press fit into the caliper.

I decided I'd try it but after a test drive that side was much warmer. I took it back apart and gently sanded until that pad fit snug-ish but not hammer tight ;)

Why do the pads have different ear designs? I thought the left was a front and the right the rear?
Its been 5 years or so since I looked at the 13 outback brakes.

I wish I had that answer! That was how they came in the box. I can't say with certainty but IIRC they were wrapped in plastic inside the box as well.

most all brakes ONLY have ONE active piston + the inactive side is pulled along! when installing be sure they slide freely + a little filing on the ears may be needed if not, also the caliper slide pins MUST move freely as well!! quality of parts VARY a lot these days especially if CHINESE!!!

Back