Good cheap alternative to Honda coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I can run M1 brake fluid in lieu of Honda brake fluid and same for oil. Honda ATF is actually not expensive so I use it even though I would jump to M1 ATF if it was recommended.

But does anyone use aftermarket coolant instead of the high price Honda fluid?

Zerex/Valvoline has an Asian product in blue and red that is the same chemistry as the OEM Honda stuff. There is also a flavor of Pentofrost that is a blue Honda-compatible coolant.

Originally Posted by parshisa
is it really all that expensive for once a 5year change? you talking 50$, cmon

Originally Posted by parshisa
is it really all that expensive for once a 5year change? you talking 50$, cmon

Back in the days Honda sold 100% coolant for $20 and I can mix it with a filtered water from Walmart for $1 for do 2 cars. Now they only sell the 50/50 and want as much for it as their ATF. I don't mind the ATF price but coolant is expensive. I am at 130k miles and 6 years and need to change out. I have an opened coolant from 2014 but only used it for topping off my older Honda instead of actual change to keep things simple. I see Prestone is selling the coolant for Nissan/Honda for 20 bucks. If there is no discount and Honda fluid is under $30, I'll go with Honda unless Preston is good to go as I do like its mileage rating of 150k.

This is what I use in my cars (the red kind, although if I mistakenly bought blue I wouldn't take the time to return it). It has a TON of specs that it meets, listed on PDS on Valvoline's site. Thats the main reason why I use it, instead of others.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Zerex/Valvoline has an Asian product in blue and red that is the same chemistry as the OEM Honda stuff.

Honda is blue for as long as I can remember. I see Wally has it for $30 online but I think it could be sold by someone else so I'll pass. I'll just pick it up at the stealership when I go that way, which is only 6 miles away but I don't come out there a lot. Maybe when I take my car in for the airbag recall.

Originally Posted by paulri
This is what I use in my cars (the red kind, although if I mistakenly bought blue I wouldn't take the time to return it). It has a TON of specs that it meets, listed on PDS on Valvoline's site. Thats the main reason why I use it, instead of others.

Zerex/Valvoline has an Asian product in blue and red that is the same chemistry as the OEM Honda stuff.

This is what you want.....about $12.00 at Walmart

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Warstud
This is what you want.....about $12.00 at Walmart

[Linked Image]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...s_bT04QIVOP_jBx0tEwX5EAQYASABEgIsffD_BwE

Order 3 gallons and they will even deliver it to your house for free.

Zerex says it will work and is "equivalent" to the Honda coolant. If you need something cheaper then here is your answer...

Originally Posted by M1Accord
I know I can run M1 brake fluid in lieu of Honda brake fluid

M1 (Mobil 1) brake fluid? Never heard of it...

Last edited:
THIS LINK has it for $12 (maybe this is just local for me, I don't know). yes I realize Honda has blue coolant. The two cars in my sig are Toyotas, which have pink coolant--but the pink and blue have the same chemistry except for different colored dyes.

EDIT: I posted this before reading warstud's post. OK not the first.

Last edited:
Pentosin Pentofrost is what I'm running in my Acura and what will go in the other two Honda's when time comes to change them.

Concur with the WM Valvoline/Zerex Asian Blue AF recommendation. Fwiw, latest WM jug redesign makes the Zerex name more prominent. Jug w'stud posted is ZAF, same stuff but sold at AP stores, usually more expensive than WM choice. The ~$12 WM jug is currently the best everyday value in Asian Phoat AF premix, no need to pay more.

Zerex/Valvoline has an Asian product in blue and red that is the same chemistry as the OEM Honda stuff. There is also a flavor of Pentofrost that is a blue Honda-compatible coolant.

This is what I use and it's available at Walmart.

Originally Posted by M1Accord
If there is no discount and Honda fluid is under $30, I'll go with Honda unless Preston is good to go as I do like its mileage rating of 150k.

I think I paid around $14 at the dealer last year with my discount but even without, shouldn't be over $20.

My only complaint about Honda coolant I that you can only buy it 50/50. When I drain, refill with dH2O, repeat 2 more times, I am left with mostly water. I cannot drain all the remaining water, so I just fill with half the total volume of full strength coolant and then top off with dH2O. The final concentration is 50/50. Can't do this with pre-diluted coolant, so I looked elsewhere. I currently use Peak long life in my Honda and it works well. Peak Global would also work well, as would other brands marketed as compatible. That said, I would have gone with the Zerex or other Asian formula blue if a full strength version were available in my local store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back