Good bye Sunoco...exiting the refining business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: callbay
The blending at the pump was cool. 190 grade straight, 260 grade straight, or a mix inbetween.

Ohhhh, so thats what the dial on the pumps was for?

That just jogged my memory of being kid in the back of my moms '71 Plymouth Suburban station wagon, watching the guy gas it up and wondering what the funny looking thing on the pump was for.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: LTVibe
we could be looking at some never-before-seen gasoline prices in the $4-5 a gallon range before the year is out. Five dollar gasoline means diesel could be well north of $5 when the effect of the global diesel shortage is considered.

$5 gasoline would also mean Obummer is history come November.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Just because they sell of the refineries doesn't mean the refinery will close down. I really doubt they will close the refinery. Someone else will buy it and run it, if they think they can make a buck.

Not likely. First off, Sunoco was losing money on those refineries for a reason. Second off, it is common knowledge that, "The oil companies, with profits of tens of billions of dollars each year, are closing U.S. refineries due to environmental and other government regulations and union demands" (Canada Free Press) Any google search on US oil refinery closings point to the US government restrictions and taxes/fees. Just recently we have Sunoco closing two refineries in July 2012 in Philadelphia and Marcus Hook, PA. Conoco Phillips announced the closing of two plants in Trainer, PA, and Bayway, NJ, and is closing its facility in Alaska. And now Hess is closing the third largest U.S. oil refinery. All of these companies are closing their refineries because of #1. Government-imposed restrictions, fees, and taxes. #2. Union demands and resulting higher cost of employees. #3. Foreign aid being sent from the US government to other countries that are building new refineries.
Sunoco will likely liquidate all of their equipment before selling the whole site.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
Sunoco to Exit Refining Business

Sunoco Inc. plans to exit its refining business and launched a review to determine the best way to maximize the potential of its logistics and retail businesses.

The company has begun a process to sell its refineries in Philadelphia and Marcus Hook, Pa., but will idle the facilities' main processing units in July 2012 if a suitable deal cannot be implemented...

Energy Transfer Partners buys Sunoco, may continue to operate Philly refinery

Quote:
With Energy Transfer Partners, Sunoco will also continue to pursue a proposed refinery joint venture between Sunoco and The Carlyle Group, a private equity manager, that could continue to operate Sunoco's Philly refinery, the largest refinery on the east coast with 335,000 barrels per day capacity.

The uninterrupted operation of the Philadelphia refinery is essential for consumers in the northeast. Sunoco's Marcus Hook, PA refinery closed last year and is unlikely to reopen; and the Conoco Phillips refinery in Trainer, PA is also idled. Delta Airlines is in talks with ConocoPhillips to purchase that plant, but no deal has been reached. Together, these three refineries represent half of the refining capacity of the northeastern U.S.

Today's news mentioned Delta buying the Conoco refinery outside of Philadelphia as a done deal . Delta intends to put $100 million in upgrades to increase jet fuel production .

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I am still having trouble on how an Oil business can fail.

If the previous owner had a unionized employees and the new owner hires a new non-union workforce, I can see why the previous owner wanted to close down the plant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
Sounds like they are ditching the hard work..making gasoline..and focusing on, what they call "maximize the potential of its logistics and retail businesses"

In plain English..they make more money selling condoms, candy-bars and beer than refining and selling gasoline. So they will model the "Racetrace" "Starven Marvin" and other gas stations.

I miss the old Sunoco 260..company went down the drain after they stopped blending fuel at the pump.

even better is online biz. No real estate costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back