Good BMW trany rebuild shops that ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this question on another portion of Bob is the oil guy forum. Got great responses. However, I thought this group may be in a better position to know about high quailty rebuild shops.

Got a price quote of $5,300 to remove and replace an BMW 4L30e and replace with a BMW remanufactured trany with a 2 year unlimited mileage warrenty from a local lexington, KY BMW dealer. About $1,000 was for labor.

BTW, my trany seems fine. However, you neve know :)

Anyone know of a quality rebuild place that ships nationally? TIA

No. These tranys have known issues and generally die at some point in a BMW application. I just want to be prepared with options if it fails.

Filter sounds like a fine idea. Think I will research that approach. I have run Mobil 1 Dexron III synthetic with my ast change with Castrol Dexron VI. I change fluid and filter every 30,000 miles or so.

Sheesh, Ive heard about BMW using a GM AT with a "lifetime" fill. I got nearly 350k miles of trouble free use from a Getrag 4 HP22 in my 88 528e. IIRC, 3 filter and fluid drains using dino Dex III. When I replaced the car in December, I found another 88 with less mileage on it. That is as late as I'm going with bimmers.

Russell, my '95 525iT transmission went out at around 145K miles. I went to an ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association certified shop after doing my research. Look for their website and find a shop in your area. It cost me ~$2,600 to have a rebuilt transmission installed with a 2 year, unlimited miles warranty. The car is now at 205K miles and still running strong.

Nel. Thanks. I just searched for ATRA shops in my area and found a few. They will be prospective rebuilders if needed. Dealer will be my last resort.

Russell, the shop I went to gave me the option of having them install a transmission from a remanufacturer with the 2 years, unlimited warranty or having them do the rebuild. I opted for the former because it meant less time in the shop. They called me when the tranny reached the shop. I dropped the car off and got it back in two days.

BTW, I went to another ATRA certified shop that did not give that choice. They were interested in rebuilding the transmission themselves. I think their estimate was in the $3,500 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back