Good 1/2"-drive 6pt Standard Metric Socket Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good 1/2"-drive 6pt standard metric socket set, for under $40, if such a thing exists. For at home use, not pro use. Want the sizes to go up to 22mm or 23mm, and down to 13mm or so. Don't want deep socket, or impact socket. HF does not have it in their Pittsburgh Pro line, and Tekton (on Amazon) has only a 12pt set. Craftsman only goes up to 19mm. Any suggestions?

My definition of good is quality that is halfway between Snap-On on the high end, and the $7 Chinese socket sets on the low end. The socket set does not need to last through 20 years of daily use, but I don't want to break a socket on the first stubborn nut I encounter.

Maybe I should hide first.
27.gif
I'd look at Craftsman, it fits the definition of what you want, and with all the sales going on you might grab a set at a good price.

Stanley has a 1/2" drive, 6-point metric socket set that goes from 12-24mm. The part number is 85-956. But it comes with a ratchet and extension, and costs closer to $80.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
27.gif
I'd look at Craftsman, it fits the definition of what you want,…………….

the set tops out at 19mm, I want up to 22mm at least.

27.gif
I'd look at Craftsman, it fits the definition of what you want, and with all the sales going on you might grab a set at a good price.

I would agree but look on ebay for some new old stock. Look for photos of the actual item or the description that states "Made in USA." I bought a few extra a while back but I refuse to buy the Chinese made sockets that most of the Sears stores now sell.

Edit: But I think you might be hard pressed to find what you want for the price you mentioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
KD tools has a set, advance and others carry. You can use the MISSUM42 code today for instant discount.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/kd-to...0702/22981591-P

Might find it for less other places, didn't look.

Hmmm, the KD set appears identical to the Gear Wrench set on Amazon, even has the same 80702 part number. Lifetime warranty, under $40. I'll be getting the Gear Wrench set. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
27.gif
I'd look at Craftsman, it fits the definition of what you want,…………….

the set tops out at 19mm, I want up to 22mm at least.

Sorry about that. The set I have went up to 24mm, but its a few years old now. They always seem to come up with new sets with more or less sizes, and occasionally an odd ball size.

Shame the high end "Triangle" brand of import sockets still wasn't around.Great tools.

I have an HF impact set that goes from 10 mm to Huge (27 maybe)?

I broke one so far by being stupid and putting a socket a mm or two bigger than the nut on and I split it. Even though it was my stupidity, the replaced it free of charge.

That Craftsman set is very nice. Love the big # laser etching. I've got Craftsman sockets from the 70's I still use.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Shame the high end "Triangle" brand of import sockets still wasn't around.Great tools.

Those were going to be my suggestion too! 7-24mm plus nice ratchet, 6" extension, and u-joint for $35 thanks to an announcement here a few years ago. Looked on ebay, sad there aren't any.

Triangle-Tools-24-Pc-3-8-Drive-Socket-and-Ratchet-Set.jpg

My fifty year old Craftsman socket sets and every thing else in my tool boxes say "Made in the USA." And my two Vise Grips say made in "DeWitt,Nebraska." Workers in DeWitt who had spent their entire life making those quality pliers lost their jobs when Newell Rubber maid decided to go over seas. Not letting those or anything else out of my sight. They don't make that quality anymore. I'm glad I could buy tools made in this country many years ago. I noticed not long ago that our local Sears outlet had a bucket of broken socket wrenches sitting behind the counter. Not very indicative of current Sears tool quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back