Gone to the Dark Side with Supertech

The ST full synthetic and the HM version are robust DEXOS certified oils. It is my standard oil change package oil and I use a lot of it.

Verify you are using the FULL synthetic version and not the standard HM oil. I would use the FULL syn in your camaro it is about $15 a jug.
No, it's the high mileage stuff. The full synthetic was $1.50 more. I was in a cheap mood that day.

No, it's the high mileage stuff. The full synthetic was $1.50 more. I was in a cheap mood that day.
That's how people around here are.

The Full Synthetic is 99 cents more and most of the time it stays where while the Conventional is sold out.

Either they read here, and know Conventional is fine.. or they want to gave their dollar.

I won't lie, saving money does get addicting but a dollar won't kill me. Others may disagree. I can go either way.

IIRC 10 psi per thousand rpm is sort of the minimum spec rule of thumb for oil pressure. I'm guessing at 70mph you're probably around 2000 rpm so it's all good.
Yes the 22 psi at idle being "low" seemed like an odd statement. Then I realized that was compared to past pressures since they've had the car since new.
I would not hesitate to run a 10w40 HM here.

Yes the 22 psi at idle being "low" seemed like an odd statement. Then I realized that was compared to past pressures since they've had the car since new.
I would not hesitate to run a 10w40 HM here.
We're going into winter in Michigan, so I wanted to avoid 10W-anything. So it was down to 0W30 or 5W30. 0w30's almost always are going to be full synthetic, so more expensive than a conventional or synblend 5w30.

We're going into winter in Michigan, so I wanted to avoid 10W-anything. So it was down to 0W30 or 5W30. 0w30's almost always are going to be full synthetic, so more expensive than a conventional or synblend 5w30.
Honestly, you could probably use Mobil 1 15W-50 and have no starting issues down to about 0 degrees. It has been said that 1. The oil is just that good and 2. It is more like a Full Synthetic 10W and can perform very well that cold. The reviews of it on Amazon from users state this. They say it starts like a summer day, down to about 0 degrees F.

I imagine a 10W from Mobil 1 would be similar.

However, of course, a 5W or 0W would be as you say, no guessing.

Curious what is the KV100 of ST and VML? Also what filter did you have before Ultra?

Even darker and FYI:
I was at Costco couple days ago and Kirkland 5W30 was $21 for 10 quarts.

I switched my 2005 Jeep to 5W30 ST Full Syn HM. I did the oil change for under $20 with a Mopar filter. So far so good. I will do a UOA at 5,000 mile OCI just for my own piece of mind.
My wife was like why the he#! didn't you do this years ago? You know how much money we've spent on oil??? :unsure::cry:

Just my $0.02

With low oil pressure, high miles and oil consumption why not try some Rotella 15w40?
Tired engine. Yes, moving to a 15W-40 viscosity would be prudent. Rotella would be a good choice, but ST would be adequate.

Last edited:
Naturally going from a 5w40 to 5w30 there would be some slight oil pressure differences, at the end of the oil service the 5w30 most likely would have sheared more than the 5w40 ever would have. I know most HM oils typically run in the upper range for that grade but I don't think Valvoline does. I've found that if you have an oil burner that HM oil doesn't really help with that, it might help somewhat from the oil being a little heavier or slightly more viscous. I've used different HM oils in my car and with Castrol I can tell it as it runs a bit on the heavier side, I'm currently using Valvoline full synthetic maxlife and I can't even tell between this and a regular motor oil.

ST has some High mileage varieties of oil now, it works as well as any other higher cost oils doing standard oem Oil change intervals

My '02 ford Explorer with between 240-250k miles on it, will drip oil if I use the factory recommended 5w30 wt oil in it. I got tired of weekly oil checks and adding 1/4-1/2 qt of oil. So I decided to go old school on it. At last change, I used 4 1/2 qts of 10w30, and 1/2 a qt of 20w50 wt in it with a Motor-craft filter. Almost immediately the dripping stopped. The motor has always been quiet, and it still sounds perfect. My battery is almost 3 years old and during the winter, I didn't notice and negative starting effect from using my heavier mixture oil. 6 months ago and no oil has been needed. The possible difference in fuel consumption is not noticeable either. I do not believing using a different brand of oil , or a slightly different weight of oil will make any positive difference in consumption. Like 5w30 vs 10w30, in the end it still a 30wt. Especially in a used worn motor. Going to 10w40 will make more of a noticeable difference in consumption.,,

Back