Golden Gate After Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see the Marin Headlands to the far left and Angel Island behind the Golden Gate Bridge. The highest peak of Angel Island is Mt. Livermore at a bit under 800 feet, I believe -- to put things into scale. The picture was taken from the Fort Miley parking lot last Sunday a bit after sunset. Interesting are the two anvil clouds that; one smaller one to the left, a bigger one in the middle and to the right. These thunderstorm clouds have a flat top because they hit the stratosphere 5 to 10 miles up.

Distances from my position:

Marin Headlands to the North (left): ~3 miles
Bridge south tower (the right one): 2.82 miles
Bridge north tower: 3.41 miles (span between towers = 4,200 feet)
Angel Island (behind bridge): 7 miles

angel_island.jpg

That vantage point and the bridge are always there.
wink.gif
Those clouds are a fairly rare sight.

Nice picture. Do you ever do any boating in those waters, mori? It looks like it would be a beautiful place to sail, ski, etc. I bet the GG bridge looks a lot different from an on-water perspective....or does Homeland Security prevent private boats from getting too close to the bridge.

Yes, I do go boating. The bridge deck is almost 750 feet above the water. How close do you think you can get in a boat?
wink.gif
If you loiter in the waterway the Coast Guard will check you out.

Wow, from the pic, the bridge deck doesn't look anywhere close to 750' above the water. That just goes to show how massive that bridge really is. Maybe the next time you go boating, you could take some close-up's of the GG. That bridge has always fascinated me. One day I hope to visit and see it for myself.

The bridge looks best from a higher vantage point, especially from the Marin Headlands or from the air. From the water, once you get close, you basically shoot from below against a bright sky. It's not a flattering look.

Very nice shot..... Last time I was in San Fran was as a little kid.
1971 don't remember much......It is a beautiful area though.

If was to live at any big city in California it would be the one. I don't know what camera you use? But even a bread and butter digital camera takes great pics. Makes me want to buy a higher end camera with changeable lenses.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
even a bread and butter digital camera takes great pics.

In the hands of a skilled operator like Mori...

The benefit of digital is instant review and self-improvement which shortens the learning curve. The disadvantage is the lack of discipline formerly imposed by expensive, 24 exposure loads of imaging material. Lessons learnt on one medium do crossover.

Photography is firstly about light, secondly composition... Equipment is around eighth place on the list.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I don't know what camera you use?

I use the kind that allows setting aperture and shutter speed.
LOL.gif

I don't understand why anybody would even want to discuss camera gear as far as extremely low resolution pictures in small dimensional size for online use are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back