SF, Aquatic Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
All pictures are from yesterday evening. I went by bike from the Marina to Aquatic Park and spent about 45 minutes there.

This shot was taken from the hill between Fort Mason and Aquatic Park. The USS Jeremiah O'Brien used to be moored here. The wharf buildings in the foreground are used for events and exhibitions nowadays. People go fishing from the piers and quays. What looks almost like a person walking on the main cable is just a bird. An actual person would be much smaller at that distance. Where I took this picture, a thermographic telescope shows the temperature of the bridge on a display. The main cables expand and contract with changing temperatures. This causes the deck to rise or drop within a range of 11 feet.
DSCF5963s.jpg

This is Aquatic Park. The picture was take from the pier. People swim, fish, and go boating here. Sea lions are always nearby. I could hear one bark under the pier and I saw his head pop up a few times. To the left is the touristy Fisherman's Wharf area. Check out the historic ships to the left. Not far behind them is the Jeremiah O'Brien moored, but you can't see her in the picture. You can see the Ghirardelli sign to the right.
DSCF5994pan_s.jpg

A San Francisco resident takes flight, with a cigarette butt in the beak!
DSCF5986s.jpg

The beak has an opening on each side. You can actually see through.
DSCF5983s.jpg

The Transamerica building is in full and blurry view.
DSCF6013s.jpg

The Marin Headlands behind the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge.
DSCF6026s.jpg

The fog is beginning to roll in across the Headlands.
DSCF5987s.jpg

The setting sun is lighting up from below the fog and the clouds that are blowing over the mountains from the ocean.
DSCF6038s.jpg

The final spectacle.
DSCF6055s.jpg

Wow great pics. Nice portrait of that seagull, its not camera shy.

Did you check out the wave organ? Its located just before the Marina. I might have a pic of it somewhere in my collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's the O'Brien?

I haven't been out visiting the folks in the Richmond for over a year. Next time I'll hit the new Academy of Sciences building.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Did you check out the wave organ? Its located just before the Marina. I might have a pic of it somewhere in my collection.

I haven't checked it lately. It's at the very end of the jetty.

Originally Posted By: lyle
Where's the O'Brien?

I haven't been out visiting the folks in the Richmond for over a year. Next time I'll hit the new Academy of Sciences building.

The O'Brien is at Pier 23.

The new Academy of Sciences is great, but can be terribly crowded.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Trivia: anyone know what the spot on the gull's beak is for?

They need to breathe with the beak closed?
wink.gif

Many baby birds have a bright orange spot in the gullet. When the parent sees the spot, it is compelled to shove food into that gullet.

Well, oilboy, the pictures are already there and I just take them.

Glad to see you made it back in one piece. Looking forward to see your catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back