Gold PureOne's w/grit inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the blue PureOne filters for awhile, but now the store shelves are full of the gold ones. I can't get myself to use the gold PureOne's because of the loose grit inside the box and inside the filter. Is anyone else concerned about this?

Been concerned about this since they came out about a year ago. Actually, even the Premium Pluses have issues with paint peeling.

As such, I won't use them.

I don't really like the grit stuff either. It's pointless because any decent oil filter wrench can grab the filter regardless. Haven't used the new ones that are covered in it, but I can see how that stuff can come off the same way sandpaper loses its grit. I was using the blue PureOne's in the past too, but now I stick with Wix filters so it's not really an issue.

I agree, I used to use them on occasion when they were blue, but I don't like the loose grit and they are ugly as sin. Now I'll just pick up a regular white Purolator Plus.

Originally Posted By: 68red440
I've been using the blue PureOne filters for awhile, but now the store shelves are full of the gold ones. I can't get myself to use the gold PureOne's because of the loose grit inside the box and inside the filter. Is anyone else concerned about this?

Maybe you should e-mail them as a long time customer with your concern and then post what their response is.

I have used and will continue to use Pure One's and their lesser media clone AAP Total Grip. I have found no loose grit on the base nor seen any inside the filter. I guess you would have to see it inside the filter because I know no way to feel it.

As for the textured material, I find it much easier to control with hand tightening than the older version, which was slick especially with an oily hand/glove. The color is ugly, but that's not really the business side of the filter anyway. Not to mention it's excellent filtration and value.

To each their own.
21.gif

Why did this problem not seem to exist with the AAP Total Grip?

What did Purolator change, to cause this problem?

I actually liked the AAP Total Grip, but when they restricted customer access to them, I switched over to the NAPA ProSelect.

There was a similar thread going on about this a while back. I had ordered 10 filters from Amazon.com. I placed the order around the time of the color change and then discovered members were posting about seeing paint flecks and such on the base and inside of the filters. Mine looked pretty good. I contacted Purolator and expressed my concerns. They had already addressed the problem, took my filters back and sent me new replacements. No hassle at all. The new batch was perfect.

Thank you for all the replies. Prior to posting I ran a quick search and was surprised not to see much discussion on it. I'll try to find new ones that were made after their process improvement.

GREAT filters. Use them on all my newer cars. I like them better then the Mobil 1's that I used to use.

A friend of mine brought one of these over for his Mazda 3, he wanted me to change his oil for him. I was impressed by the quality of it - I retract my earlier statement, it was clean inside.

The grit was nice too, I was able to easily tighten it by hand. But that color...yuck!

They should have added the texture to the original color and had a winning combo. I guess they want them to stick out under the hood, like the orange cans of death.

That grit and yellow color made it easy to see at dusk the other night when changing my oil sans light. The black Wix that went on (happened by an O'Reilly instead of Advance this time) was a lot harder to see.

I'm happy with both, although I'll prefer the Wix since my car (er, me) seems to like them better.

I just bought two from Amazon. The new yellow ones. I cannot feel or sse any grit on them.looks like a quality product to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back