Gold GC 0w-30, 3800 Series II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Here is the results for a 5000 mile run with a filter change at 3000 miles and 1/2 qt of makeup oil at that time.
The first filter was a PF52 and last was a Baldwin equiv of the AC.
Engine had 78k mi on it at end of OCI.

Aluminum.......2
Chromium.......1
Iron..............6
Copper..........18
Lead..............5
Tin................1
Molybdenum....26
Nickel.............0
Manganese.......0
Silver.............0
Titanium.........0
Potassium........2
Boron.............11
Silicon............20
Sodium...........38
Calcium.........1633
Magnesium.......389
Phosphorous.....636
Zinc...............851
Barium..............0

Fuel Water 0.0
Anti Freeze ??
Insolubles 0.4

This is a replacement engine with about 70k mi when installed. It had the composite UIM which I ran for the first month. The engine was orig a Dexcool fill and some of it remaining within the block contaminated my G-05 fill in the bottle.
I decided to replace the composite Upper I.M. with a Alum L26 UIM and do the LIM at same time.

I used "the right stuff " gasket maker and red RTV sealer in the install process.

The engine, after install, was flushed with SuperTech 10w-30 and then the GC went in. This was in early June this year. The coolant was completely flushed with clear water then G-05 went back in.

It took about 2-3 weeks to get the G-05 mixture to desired freeze/boil strength. This is now mid July.

Since Mid July, no drop in coolant. Infact to this very day, no drop in coolant.

I noticed that the orig Delphi UIM, once cleaned up , had degraded in the EGR passageway. Cannot say if it was leaking coolant at the tiem of replacement, but it did look like failure was immenient.

hi

it is the consensus with others i have spoken to that the engine had been leaking somewhat before the LIM-UIM repair , thus the sodium, but potassium remains low. ??

I am watching the level in the bottle and will resample oil in a few thousand miles again.

I think you should talk with Terry Dyson or at the very least do another oil "flush", and perhaps an AutoRx clean. Not sure why the others say this looks good. Sure the Si could be from the gasket maker....

Hi

I have spoken with terry regarding this.

i cannot comment specifically on what the out come is of the conversation beyond monitor and resample.

if there is a leak, perhaps GM coolant tabs???

Hi

I have driven about 900 miles this week and still no visible drop in coolant.

The oil fill has about 2k on it, and i may resample at 4k.

I plan on then going to Havoline 10w-30 until this is sorted out.

Hi

Did a pressure test last night and decided to open her up today.

I replaced the LIMs using Felpro and thread loc.

Flushed with 5w-30 Havoline and then filled again with Havo 10w-30.

Pressure tested fine tonight.
Will think about adding coolant pellets as a p/m.

Havoline will be sampled in a few weeks.
Then , if all checks out, either GC or if not available..M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back