Going to wider rims on same tires- effect on sidewall

Something I thought about, see illustration below. So the tires in question is 205/65 R15. The stock rims are 6jj. I was thinking of going to a BBS RS with 7jj, as it has bit of a lip so it pushes the edge out by nearly an inch. Also since its wider, the sidewall should bulge less like in diagram below. Besides looking better, is there some other effect on the sidewall, like will the sidewall flex a little less ?

1649301354756.png

Most of the tire websites will set some limits to use. I went a 1/2 inch wider rim for a 17 “ tire without any issues. The limits will also be dictated by your fit within the wheel well.

Generally, they are approved to be mounted on 5.5-7.5" wide wheels. The tires will be a bit more stable, and the ride possibly a bit more firm. You'll need to check the offset for the wider wheel and be sure that with the appropriate offset the tire will fit within the fender wells without any interference. Whatever tire pressure you're running now may also need adjustment.

There is a rim width range for each tire size. Within that range, the difference would be minimal. The tire would ride and handle pretty close to the same.

There would be much larger differences between tires (meaning make/model) than between the same tire mounted on different width rims.

The tire (sidewall) will be a bit stiffer when fitted to the 7" wide wheel.
6.5" or 7.0" is a better fit anyway. A full inch more is noticeable in most
cases but it doesn't necessarily mean anyone will notice the difference.
Regarding your precious BBS RS wheels, keep in mind rim protection
will be worse. I'd consider using a 215/60 or 215/65 R15 tire instead of
the 205/65 R15 even though this is less of an issue due to the 65 ratio.

Something I thought about, see illustration below. So the tires in question is 205/65 R15. The stock rims are 6jj. I was thinking of going to a BBS RS with 7jj, as it has bit of a lip so it pushes the edge out by nearly an inch. Also since its wider, the sidewall should bulge less like in diagram below. Besides looking better, is there some other effect on the sidewall, like will the sidewall flex a little less ?
You might want to take a look at this tire-wheel calculator. Might be some info here that's useful to you.

You might want to take a look at this tire-wheel calculator. Might be some info here that's useful to you.
Thanks man, but that link you gave has no input for rim width, this one has :

1649385478796.png

Last edited:
Back