Ideal tire size for flush"squared" fitment on a 16x7.5 rim

OE tire size for my vehicle is 195/65r15. Im getting a summer set of rims that are 16x7.5 (7.5 being the smallest width they make in that particular wheel). A set of Hankook Kinergy ST H735's that I'm looking into buying have an inflated diameter of 637mm, so less than 10mm larger than stock which works out, and an inflated width of 214.8mm. I just want to make sure that my calculation is correct and the rim edge isn't going to be sticking past the edge of the rim at all. Mail goal is to protect rim from accidental curb rash. Any advice welcome!

The 7.5" (190.5mm) is from bead seat to bead seat. How wide is the flange? Say 20mm for both so 210.5mm out to out. 214.8-210.5 = 4.3mm/ 2 = 2.15mm of sidewall past wheel flange. Not much protection.
1675121173273.jpeg

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. As long as its a flush fit, thats my biggest concern. I dont really want the tire stretched. Would you happen to know any tires that have the extra material for lip/bead protection?

A 215 tire will be slightly stretched on a 7.5" wheel. The ideal size would be a 225 or 235, with the 235 being the safe bet.

A 215 tire will be slightly stretched on a 7.5" wheel. The ideal size would be a 225 or 235, with the 235 being the safe bet.
I found that a few tires seem to "run" wider than typical tires of said size. I found a set of Toyo Extensa HP II 215/55r16 but the specified inflated width is 8.9 inches(226mm). So given that, Id have aprox 8mm of tire on either side of the rim. Thinking that should be good to go yeah?

I found that a few tires seem to "run" wider than typical tires of said size. I found a set of Toyo Extensa HP II 215/55r16 but the specified inflated width is 8.9 inches(226mm). So given that, Id have aprox 8mm of tire on either side of the rim. Thinking that should be good to go yeah?

That's very true, the actual width can vary but I've only seen a big difference when starting to compare tires towards DOT competition/slicks tires.

Some tire models will have a bigger bead/wheel protection edge compared to others.

Keep in mind the 210mm width is a guess not knowing how thick the flanges are. Get the wheels first and measure them.
Right right. I'm going to see if i can get that precise info from Konig. Ideally, I was going to order the rims/tires mounted and balanced from the same site.

That's very true, the actual width can vary but I've only seen a big difference when starting to compare tires towards DOT competition/slicks tires.

Some tire models will have a bigger bead/wheel protection edge compared to others.
Gotcha! Do you happen to know any tire models that do have extra lip of rubber for bead protection that you're describing?

Gotcha! Do you happen to know any tire models that do have extra lip of rubber for bead protection that you're describing?

I do not. There are some tires that have "rim protection" as a feature or in the description but other models may not mention it but still come with it.

First, you ought to check Tire Rack to see what 16" wheel and tire size they recommend for your vehicle. No sense going forward until you know there's enough room and stuff doesn't interfere.

Second, when you've selected the tire size, ALL approved wheels will be narrower than the section width of the tire. Look in the "specs" for approved rim widths.

Tire Rack will generally show in the description if the tire has a rim protector. They don't always tell you how big it is, but there is always a photo.

Back