Going to quit using Total Grips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Advanced Auto's oil filters, Total Grips, for that last few oci's. For some reason they are a real pita to try to remove. Even with a oil filter tool it's hard. I don't think I tighten them any tighter than the purolators I used before, and they came off usually by hand. I'd like to keep using them since they're cheaper but if I have to fight them much more i'm going back to purolators. Anyone else have this problem?

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
They ARE purolators...

They have been coming off the same for me...

They may be made by Purolator, but do we have enough reports of them being cut open and compared?

quote:

Originally posted by Eric Smith:
I know.. the only difference is the housing. The purolator is longer and wider.

From what I saw the can and gasket diameter were the same as the equivalent Purolater Premium
dunno.gif
. Are you oiling the mounting gasket with clean oil and cleaning the filter mounting surface? Also are you using the recommended oil filter or are using a "it has a "similar" gasket dimension but it's a bigger filter..." . I don't see any real reason why the Total Grip filter is any different to remove than the Purolater Premium's.

Whimsey

On the purolators it has a edge past the gasket, hard to describe. The total grips the gasket is outermost part of the filter. I oil the gaskets every time with clean oil. The filters I use are the recommended part numbers. I'm wondering if it has to do with that outer edge and basically the engine is sucking the filter tight on the mounting surface. Also even though the internals are supposed to be the same maybe the bypass valve is causing this suction? The totalgrips did this on a corolla also, today is was on the aspire. The engine was up to operating temp. but was still as tight when cold.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Perhaps the total grip paint is allowing you to tighten the filter more. More leverage on it.

That's my guess, I've said that about them before.

Some people have noted small differences between the Premium plus and the total grip. The difference in my application was the filter area, it had much less media then the Premium plus.

-T

Labman-
In my particular application, (the equivalent to AC PF52)-

The Purolator L24011 has 66 pleats/ 247 sq in of media, has a string around the element, and has metal endcaps.
The Advance AA3980 has 53 pleats. 199 sq in of media, has a string around the element, and has non-metal endcaps.

All the examples I have cut open so far are solidly put together, sealed well at the endcaps, same inner tube, same dimensions on the pleats. I cut them open after use, and I can’t tell if there is any difference in the media, looks the same to me at that point.

I thought it might be the paint but on the purolators I use a rag to assist in the tightening process. So I don't see how I could be getting it tighter. I don't have one of the used purolators or I take a side by side pic of them, but there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back