Going to look at a car tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If those were available in 5 speed manual.....
thumbsup2.gif

Transit Connect MT Swap

I'm not averse to going that route! Parts are dirt cheap for this car. I've also been watching UW surplus for one with a blown transmission (I've seen Focii for sale that way), channeling my inner eljefino and all--but they're too new. While it may seem like a lot of work, it won't scratch the surface with the lifetime hours and $$ spent chasing electrical gremlins in the VW.
Thanks, that was interesting, now if only we could get Ford to offer a manual in the Transit.....
19.gif

I have wished before that Ford sold those stateside in a passenger version. But, if it suits your needs, I'd say go for it!

At least it has windows - otherwise you'd have to call it a "pedo-van"!

Originally Posted By: JOD
I don't like using a hitch rack, because it creates ingress/egress issues into the back of the vehicle. I do it on occasion, but it's a pain.

I have some Allen 4 bike hitch rack, for a 2" receiver; but my VW has a 1.25" receiver. I stuck it on one of those adapters. After doing that, if I collapse the rack (as if I wasn't using it) my hatch still opens. I point that out, maybe you can get a Thule or similar out far enough to retain the hatch. Or not. For myself, if the bikes could fit well inside the car I'd probably do that though (car locks up easier, bikes stay cleaner--I'm into road bikes, not mountain bikes).

I've read these are dirt slow, but very good vehicles. Ford is coming out with a more passenger friendly version in late 2013 or 2014 with an updated power train. unless you are set on this vehicle I would wait for the better model coming out.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I have wished before that Ford sold those stateside in a passenger version.

they do.

Yes, but only with seating for 5. I was thinking of 3 rows - like a competitor to the Mazda5.

They've only started selling these in the US since 2010? [Am looking at wikipedia, don't know anything about this vehicle.]

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is that a good "ThanksGiving" van?

Sorry, are they made in Turkey?

the last time I checked they were...
as i stated earlier, made in Turkey, all imported in full Passenger trim,(to avoid 25% tariff on imported commercial vehicles), then converted to the commercial trims @ a port side facility.

When I got the focus, I used to carry stuff for work ... I was looking at a Focus, 2.3/5 speed Escape (front drive), Mahzda 5 and Transit connect wgaon.

Focus was by far the cheapest
Didn't care for the styling at all on the Mahzda 5 (looks like a coffin)
Escapes were too expensive
Transit Connects only Auto.

I think a wagon Transit Connect (5 seat capacity) would have been excellent!

I rode in a Transit Connect the last time I was in N.Y.C..It had 70K miles on it..I asked the driver if there were any issues with them [the fleet owner had several] and he said zero issues.

The Transit Connect is very popular down here in South Florida with smaller contractors.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I've read these are dirt slow, but very good vehicles. Ford is coming out with a more passenger friendly version in late 2013 or 2014 with an updated power train. unless you are set on this vehicle I would wait for the better model coming out.

They are slow. I do believe the 2014 model will have an ecoboost available and also may be a slightly longer model.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...&p=78873762

They are also pretty bad in the NVH category and miserable on the freeway for any amount of time (of course you can get a rest when you stop every 225 miles for fuel...)

Keep in mind as well that due to the load range E tires there are limited choices in replacements.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I rode in a Transit Connect the last time I was in N.Y.C..It had 70K miles on it..I asked the driver if there were any issues with them [the fleet owner had several] and he said zero issues.

Guess he forgot the mention the windshield wiper arms failing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back