Going to install homemade bypass filter setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, I have a few simple questions. Should've used this site long ago to find my answers, I've been a member for a while now. Anyway, I've got a remote 3/4-16" oil filter mount that I'm going to be setting up for a bypass filter in my 12v Cummins. I will tap in at the oil port above the oil filter next to the turbo oil feed line. I was going to get the Baldwin B50, but after readins some of the posts here, it appears that it is not really a 2um filter. I also had the Baldwin BF797 in mind (4um). Anyone heard of that one?

I could get the Amsoil eap110 filter but it's too expensive. I got the mount and brass nipples for $25, and I'm gonna get some push-lok hose from Autozone for under $10. I wasn't planning on spending over $100 on this project, cause then i probably wouldn't even bother.

So a few questions:

1) In the end, is the B50 still the best reasonably priced bypass filter available?

2) Do you guys see any problem with running pushlok hose?

3) Will I lose oil pressure by adding this type of bypass filter mount by tapping into the oil pressure port in the engine?

4) What type of restrictor should I use to limit the flow of oil into the bypass filter so I don't lose too much oil pressure and maintain maximum filtration?

I appreciate all the help!

Well, looks like I found my answer to #1. What a great site! It hit the nail right on the head about the type of info I was looking for. I'll be doing some more reading. But I gotta study for my final exam first.

I have another idea. what if I ran TWO B50 filters in series?
laugh.gif
I think that'll filter some of the smaller particles out more.

In the mean time, please feel free to post any info regarding my plan.

1) for the limited level of filtration, yes.
2) No ..but you'll get a hernia putting it on
laugh.gif

3) No
4) The B50 from Baldwin has its own orifice restrictor

..but I think you have a challenge ahead of you. You stated that you have a 3/4-16 remote mount ..but the B50 is a 5/8-18 thread. You need a OB1305 (24755 Wix) mount.

btw- an Amsoil setup with the EaBP90 is around $50 (probably delivered). You need to order the BP-80A mount, which is about $15. That's a 1-16 thread.

Quote:

1) In the end, is the B50 still the best reasonably priced bypass filter available?

The best reasonably priced filter is a used Frantz or motorguard. You can find these on Ebay.

Quote:

3) Will I lose oil pressure by adding this type of bypass filter mount by tapping into the oil pressure port in the engine?

Not unless you forget to add the oil flow restrictor.

Quote:

4) What type of restrictor should I use to limit the flow of oil into the bypass filter so I don't lose too much oil pressure and maintain maximum filtration?

1/16" diameter orifice for engine oil. A smaller one for the transmission (depending on oil pressure from the pressure test port).

Thanks for the info guys. I "might" just end up going with the Amsoil filters... But i'll need to convert the 3/4-16" to 1-16" threads. I've seen one on ebay. Is there anywhere else to get/make one?

No I haven't... I couldn't find much info on it either on this site. Is it a spin-on filter?

It's a great big filter that used two center-pull rolls and holds a couple of gallons of oil. The idea is that there is a lot of surface area and a lot of depth and the oil would move through very slowly. This is all good stuff when it comes to a bypass filter. If I had a big truck, I'd run one of these. Check out Ralph's Motorguard web site

Ralph Wood
VinWood Enterprises
6790 Bobwhite Way
Sanger, TX 76266
Phone: 940-458-4536
Toll Free: 866-263-2929
Email: [email protected]
Websites: http://www.bypassfilter.com
http://www.ralphpwood.com

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. I "might" just end up going with the Amsoil filters... But i'll need to convert the 3/4-16" to 1-16" threads. I've seen one on ebay. Is there anywhere else to get/make one?

TMVTAYLOR is the only one that I'm aware of to sell a 3/4-16/1-16 adapter. It's not cheap ..but what are you gonna do? The Amsoil cheaper mount is cheaper than his adapter ..and has its own restrictor in the outlet thread.

A used MG or Frantz would be the cheapest way to go long term. The service interval is more frequent, so you have to balance the added level of filtration with your make up oil for tp swaps ..and your attention to the system. They were the absolute best bang for the buck when the typical OCI was 2k-3k. 4 quarts of oil and 4 rolls of tp a year ...hard to beat. Now that oils can outlive that mileage span, you're weighing more heavily on the better filtration to get value. It's still a great deal, but there are other systems that afford you longer service intervals without too much compromise on filtration. Naturally, they cost more - one way or another.

It's always a trade off between size, holding capacity, level of filtration, and service interval. It's hard to escape those confines. Price is also in there somewhere.

Ok Gary, looks like you got me sold. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and order 2 BP80 mounts and 2 EABP110 bypass filters that I will run in series. I guess I'll order it directly from Amsoil's website, unless you can give me a discount.
cheers.gif

Took my last final today so I'll reward myself. Been studying for a week straight!

And thanks Lonnie for the info. Tell you the truth, I'm not too fond of the toilet paper filter types. Early on I was looking into the Frantz filter but I just felt they're too messy to constantly replace and you have to change them too often.

Btw, my last project was a homemade pre-luber system. Not going to go that route again... This project should be a lot nicer.

Quote:

Now that oils can outlive that mileage span, you're weighing more heavily on the better filtration to get value. It's still a great deal, but there are other systems that afford you longer service intervals without too much compromise on filtration. Naturally, they cost more - one way or another.

So what you're hinting at Gary is that your "other" filtration system, the Amsoil bypass filter, filters much better and has more capacity than a TP roll filter? I thought I read previous posts where Motorguard/Frantz filter owners went further than 3,000 miles because the filter was still heating up - thus proving that the media wasn't plugged.

I haven't seen the Amsoil BP filters, how many quarts do they hold?

If current motor oils have less of a tendency to degrade compared with older oils then common sense suggests that less will be deposited on a Frantz element and therefore the Frantz element could be used for a longer mileage/time interval.

Quote:

Ok Gary, looks like you got me sold. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and order 2 BP80 mounts and 2 EABP110 bypass filters that I will run in series. I guess I'll order it directly from Amsoil's website, unless you can give me a discount.
cheers.gif

Took my last final today so I'll reward myself. Been studying for a week straight!

And thanks Lonnie for the info. Tell you the truth, I'm not too fond of the toilet paper filter types. Early on I was looking into the Frantz filter but I just felt they're too messy to constantly replace and you have to change them too often.

Btw, my last project was a homemade pre-luber system. Not going to go that route again... This project should be a lot nicer.

I run a Frantz on my Powerstroke (15 quarts) and not because it is cheap. If I thought something else could do a better job it would be on my truck. I change the tp element at my regular oci (5k) and don't spill a drop. My dip stick shows a nice amber color for 5k and my oil analysis comes back great. I am sure there are other fine filters but I can't see where they out perform tp. IMHO.

You're correct, jjinco, ..at least from my view. TP is very hard to beat. It's only shortcoming is the frequency of service. If you're fine with that, then it's about the best you can do. Miles ahead in cost:benefit. You can probably beat it in both fine filtration and longevity ..but not at any reasonable expense.

The next best alternative that I've found is cotton wound double open end filters. They're what many of us use for water filtration. If you have the room, you can get either 10" or 20" (heck, 30" if you're loaded with space) ..down to 1um ..or any micron level that you want. They're cheap, relatively speaking, if bought in enough quantity. Now the canisters aren't cheap ..but competitive with other bypass systems, including Frantz and MG. They offer longer service life over tp ..more than enough to justify their added expense in cost. The only downside is the need for room for either a 14+" or 24" X 4.5x" cylinder somewhere on the vehicle.

Amsoil units have the distinction of being the finest spin-on filter in the longevity range to make economical/practical convenience sense.

Thanks for your unbiased response to my post Gary. I have read a lot of your posts and respect your opinion. You know far more than I do about oil filters. I just felt like I should comment on wcbcruzer's misconceptions (in my view) about Frantz filters. As I stated previously the tp can be swapped out in about 10 minutes and you would have to work to spill a drop. Would a 5k interval be considered "frequent" when changing a bypass filter? I know many change more frequently then that (I used to too) but I do not find it necessary
dunno.gif
. My Frantz canister still heats right up after 5k and the element looks fine. I guess 5k might be frequent for folks who are doing extended oil drains.

Yes, I keep forgetting that not everyone that uses bypass filtration is into extended drains.
laugh.gif

There's nothing wrong with your take on it, at least from my POV. The MG/Frantz is just fine for its higher level of filtration. Your EGR (or whatever) will thank you. Many don't do enough mileage annually to do extended (mileage-wise) drains ..so a tp filter makes good sense.

I'm basically LAZY and cheap (note the upper:lower case) ..so I gear everything to be (hopefully) robust enough to carry me to the point that I can manage to get around to it ..sorta like a "SET IT AND FORGET IT" Ronko rotisserie thing
laugh.gif
TP just doesn't fit that criteria for me. I don't need bypass filtration to do this, but if I'm going to use bypass filtration, it would sensibly fall in cadence with my extended drain routine. I don't do extended drains for conservation. I do it for the freedom of "toil of obligation" without undue compromise (yet I toil much on cars anyway with various experiments).

So for the Frantz setup, you just throw any ordinary roll of tp in there? Where do you guys dispose the used rolls?

Used rolls should be fine in your trash if a used oil filter goes there too
dunno.gif
Some member uses them to start either his wood stove or fire place. He reported that it burns slowly ..for long time. I guess it's like a wick type thing.

Well... I always dump my used oil filters at WalMart. I would think that a saturated tp roll in the trash could be bad for the local water supply, but I guess it's not as bad as people pouring their used motor oil in their backyard.
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back