going to Castrol Syntec 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to Castrol Syntec 5w50 in my bmw now that it appears that GC 0w30 is no longer going to be available.

My car seems to run a bit quieter with the 5w50. Even so, I plan to do an oil analysis of the 0w30 in a week or so. Perhaps Castrol will have an enven better product to replace GC
laugh.gif

The Syntec 5w-50 is an excellent oil. Yeah, many here will pile-on and say "it's TOO THICK!". If YOU are happy with it, then enjoy!

Are you planning on a UOA of the 5w-50?

Quote:

Going to Castrol Syntec 5w50 in my bmw now that it appears that GC 0w30 is no longer going to be available.

My car seems to run a bit quieter with the 5w50. Even so, I plan to do an oil analysis of the 0w30 in a week or so. Perhaps Castrol will have an enven better product to replace GC
laugh.gif

I used to use Castrol Syntec 5W-50 and Mobil 1 15W-50 in my BMW and VW VR6 motors.

Then I switched to Redline 10W-40, and I liked the Redline much better and never tried another oil.

I still use Redline 10W-40 in the 1986 325es and GC 0W-30 in the 1995 325iC. But I think I will run Redline 5W-40 or 10W-40 in the 1995 BMW next oil change.

I also have a bunch of Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 I purchased on sale, so I may try that. I will also run the Synpower 5W-40 in the 2007 Audi A3.

I know the 5w50 keeps an engine clean ...someone posted a pic of a high mileage valve train that was clean as a white perch!

I'd use it in my '02 330ci's M54 engine but I wonder how that 50w part of the equation would go down with the vanos units - I've heard they are viscosity sensitve...anybody use 5w50 in an M54?

The only thing I don't like about the 5w50 is the amount of VII's it must use. I've used it before and seemed like a decent oil, although I remember the car being a bit sluggish.

Quote:

I know the 5w50 keeps an engine clean ...someone posted a pic of a high mileage valve train that was clean as a white perch!

I'd use it in my '02 330ci's M54 engine but I wonder how that 50w part of the equation would go down with the vanos units - I've heard they are viscosity sensitve...anybody use 5w50 in an M54?

The thicker the oil, the quieter the vanos will be. I'm not sure how it will affect the reliability of it though.

I ran it last summer in my SAAB. It did great and was the only oil I ever used in a SAAB that didn't drain feeling like water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back