going lugcentric

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my project beater (90 geo prizm) I put on two used tires already on rims from a Sentra. The bolt pattern is the same (4x100) but the big hole for the hub in the middle is bigger on the new rims. They bolt on flat and fine, clear the brakes, and have a similar offset. The lug nuts and seats on the steel wheels are both conical-- the lugs are therefore centering the wheel nicely. Torqued them down very evenly and methodically so the wheel would be "pulled" to center correctly.

Is there anything I'm missing that makes going lugcentric a bad idea? I'm most interested in safetly, less ultimate balance/comfort.

I would show some care at first. If not centered, you would get a horrible vibration. If it seems to ride OK and the lug nuts stay tight, go with it.

I'm pretty sure the reason for the centre hole is to take the weight of the car. The studs aren't supposed to take the weight, they are supposed to pull the wheels inwards. You can have spacers made at a machine shop.

Steve

Lots of cars don't have the hole in the centre. Don't need it.

The load of the car is carried by the shear between the back of the wheel and the face of the hub. The studs apply the clamping force. The nuts (generally) are tapered, or close fitted to provide the location.

The taper on the nuts should be ample to provide your wheel location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back