Going battery on the yard tools

I can’t see going cordless on a chainsaw, yet. When I fire up the Husqvarna saw, I’m usually taking out a whole tree, or a big part of one, so I run it hard for hours. I need the power density of gasoline. I keep several sharp chains, a couple quarts of premix trufuel, and a bottle of bar oil at the ready.

I don’t use the Husqvarna saw for pruning, even heavy limbs.

I find that the Makita cordless 18v reciprocating saw with a pruning blade is quieter, lighter, more convenient, and safer. I can climb a ladder, or even a tree, with that cordless and not worry about starting, kickback, or weight.

Im not getting off my Stihl, but look at the Makita as an option - like a 6 vs 12 point socket set.

Any kind of serious tree work Ill grab the gas saw, but If I need to do some limbing or light work I'll grab the battery saw every time.

A recip makes tons of sense on a ladder or in a weird area, plus you can do metal or anything else with it.

I got a Ryobi 40v Brushless trimmer this year.
I will never go back and look forward to replacing the Honda mower at some point.

Brushless is the way to go no matter what brand.

Battery powered outdoor equipment makes sense for the homeowner, at least one with a suburban sized yard. But some places are considering banning all gasoline/diesel powered outdoor equipment. I don't see how the commercial landscape companies can comply and keep operating. During the summer and year round here in Florida they operate zero turns, trimmers, blowers, etc. non-stop all day long. They would have to have a truck load of charged batteries to operate full time.

Reactions: JC1
OP - whatever you buy, read the Owner's Manual for advise on best practice to maintain the battery.

I keep my batteries in the basement where it's cooler (Summer) & warmer (Winter).
Not in a hot garage.
Winter storage is at 50% charged.

Update: just bought the Makita 18”. This model:

Prices have come down. 10% discount for military at Home Depot makes it even more attractive.

We were already using a corded electric, which I liked for the low maintenance and quiet. Looking forward to cutting the cord…
That looks like a good machine and a steal including 4 batteries for $400.

Reactions: JC1
FFF3C945-9037-4F8D-95D2-D0CEDAD46AB9.jpeg

He approves. 👍

Attachments

• 022CCB7F-5ADD-49FA-8E35-E43CBB6F824B.jpeg
    022CCB7F-5ADD-49FA-8E35-E43CBB6F824B.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 23
Update: just bought the Makita 18”. This model:

Prices have come down. 10% discount for military at Home Depot makes it even more attractive.

We were already using a corded electric, which I liked for the low maintenance and quiet. Looking forward to cutting the cord…
Does that on have a side discharge? I mainly mulch and never bag so I need a side discharge for when it's too long to mulch.

Any one else with battery powered mower that has a side discharge?

I went Ryobi 40v for a trimmer as, I had multiple attachments from my older husky trimmer that were compatable.

The pole saw works much better electric, than gas, from the torque.a

Picked up an 80V Kobalt trimmer, like it pretty well, but their fancy string head doesn't hold very much line compared to my old Troy-bilt gasser. Love my 40V Ryobi blower. 3 years and have never managed to run it out of juice.

I went Ryobi 40v for a trimmer as, I had multiple attachments from my older husky trimmer that were compatable.

The pole saw works much better electric, than gas, from the torque.a

Does that use the ryobi "expand it" lineup?

Yes. I had a pole saw , an old brush cutter head and an edger. They previously fit a low end husky trimmer that was probably made by poulan.

EDIT: I just looked at it and it's a trimmer plus brand.
IMG_20220421_182355190.jpg
IMG_20220421_182440487.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see how the commercial landscape companies can comply and keep operating.
https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396040299

Most of the different brands have them.

Last edited:
inverter in the truck with a gang charger and 5 batteries will keep it moving.

I have dewalt gear since I was loaded on their batteries already.
string trimmer.. the head lasted 2 years.. and failed to feed total turd design.. it gets damaged by bumping to advance. 30$ fixed that up.
otherwise great. Not going to do much "brush cutting" but for around the house and yard.. low noise, low vibration.. a winner.. not a fan of the end mounted motor.. probably die from overheating.. eating dirt etc.

hedge trimmer.. love it.. no more cut cords.
mini chainsaw is lightweight for limbing/trimming. I am also using it for trail maintenance.

I also have the compact sawzall with pruning blades.. for 3" and under or partially rotted it rips right through in a flash.. even easier than chainsaw.. esp for overhead trimming to keep the paths open (for mowing with deere 316)

Not the best out there.. but if you already have batteries go with that imo...

Last edited:
I have many Milwaukee M18 power tools so trying cordless OPE was a no brainer. So a Milwaukee M18 grass trimmer and hedge trimmer work well for me. And a cordless leaf blower works fine also. But gas backpack blower and lawnmower still. If I go cordless for a lawnmower it will probably be a robot mower.

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396040299

Most of the different brands have them.
Let's see them operate a 62" zero turn mower all day on batteries.

Anyone here made the switch?

Here are the mower's I have in mind.

Kobalt 40v mower
Ryobi 40v mower

String trimmers,

Kobalt 40v trimmer
Ryobi 40v trimmer

I have 1/3 acre or less it's an hoa so everyone basically has same property lot. Any input thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. I didn't list a blower that's because I still have my poulan 2-stroke blower. Thanks
My son went with Ryobi and has the 40V mower and the 40V trimmer + two batteries. He likes them.
He also has a bunch of the 18V One Plus tools and a number of batteries. Using these tools while helping him work on his house caused me to switch and spring for a 18V trimmer / blower combo deal. I was getting tired of dragging the cord around while trimming and the 2-cycle blower was getting to be more trouble that it's worth.

Back