GM's V8 and Ford's 2021 and newer 5.0 v8 shutting down cylinders.

I heard that GM had lifter problems and oil consumption problems in shutting down their cylinders. Is that all a problem yet? Has the Ford 5.0 Coyote after 2021, experience any of this?

I heard that GM had lifter problems and oil consumption problems in shutting down their cylinders. Is that all a problem yet? Has the Ford 5.0 Coyote after 2021, experience any of this?
I work at a GM dealership. They still have lifter issues it's hit, and miss.
The newer (21-now) 6.2's are just locking up driving down the road now. 5.3's seem to not have this issue for whatever reason.
My uncle is a mechanic for a natural gas company that runs a fleet of Ford’s, and said the newer Ford's (5.0) are dropping valves, and having to have full engine replacements also.
You really can’t win anymore.

If you want a GM, the 3.0 diesel is probably the way to go, or even the little 2.7 which may be underpowered for anything other than city or day to day driving and pulling an rv once or twice a year. But it seems more reliable than their v8's anyway.

If you want a GM, the 3.0 diesel is probably the way to go, or even the little 2.7 which may be underpowered for anything other than city or day to day driving and pulling an rv once or twice a year. But it seems more reliable than their v8's anyway.
I'd think you'd be able to do a bit more with 430 lb/ft and 310 hp.

Although, it still shuts down 2 when cruising, which seems a bit daft.

I'd think you'd be able to do a bit more with 430 lb/ft and 310 hp.

Although, it still shuts down 2 when cruising, which seems a bit daft.

Some guys do work them harder yes, but they run out of power at highway speeds vs v8's. It's very much a base engine designed to replace their old v6. I don't know how long they can run being driven hard all day by towing demands compared to a big NA v8 for example. It's not just the power numbers, its the durability.

I work at a GM dealership. They still have lifter issues it's hit, and miss.
The newer (21-now) 6.2's are just locking up driving down the road now. 5.3's seem to not have this issue for whatever reason.
My uncle is a mechanic for a natural gas company that runs a fleet of Ford’s, and said the newer Ford's (5.0) are dropping valves, and having to have full engine replacements also.
You really can’t win anymore.
Some if I understanding this correctly, the 5.3 they got to work pretty good? I found it interesting that Ford said this wasn't the direction to go, but did it to the Coyote engine. The coyote engine did have other issues, despite people thinking it is more durable than Ecoboost.

They still have lifter issues it's hit, and miss.
Well, it would seem to me that this is more or than than just a lifter issue. If you have seen many of the same issues, from cars likely bought at your dealership............I mean, what...........one day they put some bad lifters in, and the next day they dont? I am sure that lifters are made by the 1000's, which would stand to reason that fleets of trucks would have issues.

Do you think its purely mechanical, lubrication, usage, what?

I forgot to add that GM 2.7 since they shut down 2 cylinders. I also should added Rams in this as well.

The hemi MDS can be disabled with the gear limiter set to the highest gear (8th), don't know about the others.

Well, it would seem to me that this is more or than than just a lifter issue. If you have seen many of the same issues, from cars likely bought at your dealership............I mean, what...........one day they put some bad lifters in, and the next day they dont? I am sure that lifters are made by the 1000's, which would stand to reason that fleets of trucks would have issues.

Do you think its purely mechanical, lubrication, usage, what?
I’m not 100% sure, but I only see the bad if that makes sense?
I don’t see the 200,000 mile never had to do anything major vehicles, but I know they’re out there.

Back