GM's 2.7L - Deep Dive

The 2.7 does not alternate, neither does the old GM AFM system or the Ram MDS. The new GM DFM does turn off between 1 to 7 cylinders and it does so as needed, it's constantly adjusting which cylinders are running. It's all seemless to the driver for the most though they have pretty bad failures in this system right now.
Spreads the wear out when alternating the cylinder cut out

Spreads the wear out when alternating the cylinder cut out

Yes in theory it should, but the amount of times MDS is active in my truck is very negligible. MDS has been around in the hemi since 2005 now, I don't think there has been anything uncovered that would make me worry about wear.

Chevy came full circle...took em 100 years (a 4 cyl in a fullsize pickup)

If the truck is used as a tall car, it might give good service. but if its used to work, only 4 cyls means the thrust side loading is twice that of a V8 and its only a matter of a few miles before the bores oval and the rings stick. And we aint even talking piston speed. Engine 101. 50 year old C10s will outlast these (assuming the new stuff does not melt away since GM abandoned all pretense of corrosion protection - the new sexy is gaping holes in the body while you are still making payments) #NOTAFAN

I’d like to know if there are any high mileage GM 2.7 stories. Same with fords ecoboost 2.7.
ask if anyone with the EB2.7 has gotten over 50K without the bottom end being replaced - its not a deal breaker problem as in the feds have to get involved and ford is replacing every one under warranty with no hassle, but this NEVER happened in the old days.

ask if anyone with the EB2.7 has gotten over 50K without the bottom end being replaced - its not a deal breaker problem as in the feds have to get involved and ford is replacing every one under warranty with no hassle, but this NEVER happened in the old days.
I haven't heard of any "bottom ends" needing replaced on the 2.7 eco boost. There are plenty of examples of these motors with high miles out there. Hopefully, knock on wood, mine will be one of them. I'm only at 78,000 now with no issues.

You also can't compare the 2.7 from GM vs Ford directly like that. They're completely different trucks, and the Ford weighs less for a start as its basically an aluminum tin can.

2023 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 XLT 2.7 145" wheelbase - 4,838 lbs
2023 Silverado 1500 Crewcab LT 2.7 147" wheelbase - 4,826 lbs

Chevy came full circle...took em 100 years (a 4 cyl in a fullsize pickup)

If the truck is used as a tall car, it might give good service. but if its used to work, only 4 cyls means the thrust side loading is twice that of a V8 and its only a matter of a few miles before the bores oval and the rings stick. And we aint even talking piston speed. Engine 101. 50 year old C10s will outlast these (assuming the new stuff does not melt away since GM abandoned all pretense of corrosion protection - the new sexy is gaping holes in the body while you are still making payments) #NOTAFAN
I'll inform the GM engineering team.

I'll inform the GM engineering team.
oh they know this all too well. in fact, it was THEIR edict of 1L per 1000lbs curb weight which they so gleefully violate. but a long as people are going to shell out bux for something that will have rust before its paid off - can you blame them?

I haven't heard of any "bottom ends" needing replaced on the 2.7 eco boost. There are plenty of examples of these motors with high miles out there. Hopefully, knock on wood, mine will be one of them. I'm only at 78,000 now with no issues.
well you are not going to hear about it if you are not looking for it right? I happen to have one of these trucks in the extended family and it was brought to me first before I said they had a warranty claim. I believe I mentioned that ford IS covering it and replacing the motors with little drama so point for them, but I also mentioned this was unheard of in the past. (when the base motor was the 300-6 can anyone anywhere name any failures?)

Like I said in another post, if the trucks if the cellophane motors (GM or Ford) are used as simply 'tall cars' full of people (they have to be, there aint no big beds anymore it seems) they might last thru the loan. but hook up a trailer....

segue to.....

If you do go looking for problems, you find that the 3.7:ish EB can do the towing, but at the same or worse mileage than the 5.0 - google up instances of owners wishing they just went for the cheaper 5.0 option. There is a reason me, "mr Truck" who literally owned around a 100, no longer has a Truck AT ALL, let alone a modern one and the $1000+ a month payment is only a small part of the reason...

oh they know this all too well. in fact, it was THEIR edict of 1L per 1000lbs curb weight which they so gleefully violate. but a long as people are going to shell out bux for something that will have rust before its paid off - can you blame them?
Where is this edict from? Ive not heard of this before.

Where is this edict from? Ive not heard of this before.
oh you would have to search the archives...Im thinking jest prior to obama era when GM defended its continued use of large displacement (mostly pushrod) engines.

Dont you guys actually follow any automotive related news?

oh you would have to search the archives...Im thinking jest prior to obama era when GM defended its continued use of large displacement (mostly pushrod) engines.

Dont you guys actually follow any automotive related news?
Sometimes i do read, yes. But you are referencing something from over 12 years ago? When it comes to sales and marketing, the only thing cast in stone is “always be closing”. How many of the bigwigs from back then are still with GM, backing up and enforcing such an edict?

Well, I'm at 104,000 trouble free miles in my 2016 F150. One TSB repair on a check valve in an oil feed line handled under warranty (smoked on cold soak startups, and no issues since the repair 3 years and lots of miles ago).

The 2.7 has had some issues in its Bronco deployment for whatever reason. The 2.7 in the F150's have been a very solid platform. There was a run of bad valve seats in the 2016 era that did take out some engines.

Sometimes i do read, yes. But you are referencing something from over 12 years ago? When it comes to sales and marketing, the only thing cast in stone is “always be closing”. How many of the bigwigs from back then are still with GM, backing up and enforcing such an edict?
I think the bigger point is that the engineers - professional grade I think they call themselves - recognized that to do big things you need big motors. It has more to do with mattalurgy and pistons speeds and the aforementioned side loading and wear etc etc than physical size - for example fords 4.6L v6 (and its followons) are in a larger package than the old 385 motor or the navistar...we are talking swept area or displacement.

OF COURSE this is the future and we can do more neato things with blowers and the like, but since we all know that wear is proportional to the square of the speed (motor oil be ****ed) then which engine will be around down the road? a 300hp 4 making power at 6000rpm or a v8 making it a lot lower? since the majority of the people are buying these to goto homegoodsburgerkinggianteaglelocalmall and not doing trucky things with them, it stands to reason they have undersized motors because they can. case in point I have a 2019 G3 highlander with the 2GR motor. I tow with it. not every day, but when I do, I do and we have hills and stuff here. we would LOVE to have another but the current gen now has a smaller 4 that makes more hp, but less torque and does both at higher rpm. if I used it the same way, its not going to last as long. you gotta use the right tool for the job, and a micro v6 or 4cyl - even with a turbo - is not the right tool when the toolbox is a full size pickup.

you need to go back, and referencing another example I gave, understand WHY the I6s of the big 3 in the past are all thought of very highly.

Back