GMC Envoy Mobil 1 5W-30 10,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the oil analysis from Blackstone on our Envoy. I was going to use the OLM, but after 10,000 miles, I got a little nervous and changed the oil. The light came on about 600 miles later or so. This was my first analysis on this engine.

2004 GMC Envoy
4.2 L I6
21,489 miles on engine
10,189 on sample
Previous interval was 5,300 miles on GC.
Mobil 1 5W-30 SL was used with LC at inconsistent intervals (read: not every 1,000 miles). No makeup oil was added.

Aluminum 6
Chromium 1
Iron 34
Copper 28
Lead 1
Tin 1
Molybdenum 64
Nickel 1
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 32
Silicon 19
Sodium 4
Calcium 1970
Magnesium 25
Phosphorus 566
Zinc 653
Barium 0

SUS Visc: 60.9
Flashpoint: 385
Fuel%: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insolubles: 0.3

TBN: 1.6

I think I may scale back to a more conservative 7,500 mile interval. We’ve just moved to Houston, TX and the wife now has a 40-60 minute commute of mostly highway to work.

Any thoughts or opinions?

is this the third oil change on this vehicle? copper is typical break in from GM engines. TBN isn't below blackstones 1.0 standard. Look like the regular mobil 1 did fine. since the truck will go 60 minute commute, the driving conditions are getting better and not worse. 10k is fine with regular M1, if it will make you feel more comfortable, go to mobil 1 EP. the OLM seems to be right on
cheers.gif

I'm using Mobil 1 since I get it more or less half off at Pep Boys. We just moved to Houston less than a week ago. I wanted fresh oil in teh crankcase since I was driving 1,600 miles while towing a trailer.

Changing the oil is a PITA on that vehicle since you have to leverage on the oil filter and the oil from it drains all over various hoses and lines.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result. It's a leased vehicle, but I still like to treat it like I own it.

lease? I would go strictly by the OLM without UOA but that's me. unless you might buy the vehicle after the lease is up. any other complaints on the vehicle? I'm considering the chevy trailblazer twin (my GM card earnings expire in March)

Quote:
Changing the oil is a PITA on that vehicle since you have to leverage on the oil filter and the oil from it drains all over various hoses and lines.

I drill a quarter-inch hole in the bottom-side of my Chevy Colorado oil filter. No more oil mess all over the place. Now when I spin it off, it's empty & so are the oil channels right above it in the engine.

quote:

lease? I would go strictly by the OLM without UOA but that's me. unless you might buy the vehicle after the lease is up. any other complaints on the vehicle? I'm considering the chevy trailblazer twin (my GM card earnings expire in March)

I only did the UOA to see how the oil held up after that mileage. It is a leased vehicle and I don't think we'll keep it after the term is up.

Overall, it's a nice vehicle. Both the wife adn I felt that it "looked" classier than the Trailblazer.

That's kind of an interesting UOA. The oil seemed fine, but you pretty much used it up. Wear-wise everything seems really good for a new engine with that kind of mileage on the oil. I'd expect the numbers to drop a little with subsequent OCIs, though since you're leasing the thing there's not much reason to fuss over it.

Would a cap wrench give you better leverage on the filter? I find them vastly better than other types.

- Glenn

Quoter by Triple: I drill a quarter-inch hole in the bottom-side of my Chevy Colorado oil filter. No more oil mess all over the place. Now when I spin it off, it's empty & so are the oil channels right above it in the engine. "

Excellent Idea

Stick to what you were using, with the long commute, you can really extend change intervals.

The ewar metals are normal for an engine breaking in.

"Just a matter of personal pride in knowing I'm taking care of something. Just because i won't be driving it in a few years doesn't mean I should screw the guy driving it after me. " I would go back to buying used cars if you were the one selling them! With a TBN over 1 on Blackstone's scale I'd say 10K is about right. Nice to see someone getting their money's worth out of a synthetic.

You know it's **** good that you're leasing a vehicle and yet still treating it with great respect. Most people could care less.

****, even those who buy them outright can care less.

I've seen so many vehicles, newer ones costing well over $30-40K and people just drive and treat them like crap, it's sad, and amazing to know that they actually have the money to act like they can replace them at any given time.

quote:

Why use syn. oil in a lease car?

Just a matter of personal pride in knowing I'm taking care of something. Just because i won't be driving it in a few years doesn't mean I should screw the guy driving it after me.

I agree with Ramblin Fever. Machines should be treated with respect. Heck, I even changed to oil in a rental once because the stuff had turned to tar. $20.00 buys another ring on my halo.

The Iron was a little high but that seems pretty typical for regular M1. Maybe try the EP when you are out of this stuff.

Is 34 ppm iron high for 10k mi OCI? That is equivalent to only 10 ppm for a 3k OCI, looks fine to me.

Machines should be duly cared for to respect the resources people have put into designing, building, and buying them.

Regarding people neglecting expensive autos, sometimes the buyer has stretched their budget so much with the purchase they feel they can't afford maintenance. Pitiful, yet almost funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back