GM/UAW reach tentative agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The contract goes to the rank and file on Tuesday, hope the vote goes well. The actual contract was not released, but details are leaking out...

GM UAW tentative agreement leaked details

"General Motors Co. will give its hourly workers a $5,000 signing bonus, if they approve a tentative contract agreement reached by the company and the United Auto Workers union Friday night, people familiar with the pact said Saturday.

Under the agreement, GM also has agreed to reopen its Spring Hill, Tenn. plant; base profit-sharing checks on North American profits, rather than on U.S. earnings; and give entry-level workers a $2-$3 an hour increase. Those so-called tier two employees, who are paid $14-$16 an hour, will be boosted to $16-$19 an hour.

Also, a person briefed on the deal said Saturday, the proposed contract includes buyout offers to GM's skilled trade workers. The Detroit automaker has about 1,000 skilled tradesmen working on the line, rather than in skilled trades positions that it no longer needs. GM hopes to pare back the number of skilled trades workers on assembly lines. The tentative pact still must be approved by a vote of the union's rank and file."

Thats fine..being a Ford man myself, I kinda agree in some respects.

But you should know, this contract represents the new base line as it were. It will effect the Ford negotiations moving forward. It's safe to assume, the Ford deal will be very close to this agreement, only slightly sweeter.

with a ton of people out of work I have to disagree with the bonuses and increases. I think there is a place for unions but this agreement is one reason unions should not exist. there are 100+ people that could line up for every one of those jobs and to give a signing bonus is just ludicrous in today's world. And my tax dollars bailed them out.

Sorry not at all happy with this

not happy at all either especially if car prices go up to pay for these "bonuses and raises" might have to get rid of my GM card

So gm improves its labor relations and avoids massive problems with a fairly reasonable contract, and you are angry about it? Please gm could give kind to every unemployed person in the us and you would still complain about gm. Get over it already. So employees in a profitable business shouldn't be rewarded? Maybe you should lose any and all bonuses you receive because its not necessary. Sound fair

Last edited:
Lots of Americans will never consider a GM vehicle after they made a deal with the Devil.

I would buy a new Ford tomorrow if I needed a new car.

I just love how everybody bashes the guys that make the profits possible for GM, but NEVER have EVER had anything to say about the incompentent executive management at these companies and the outrageous salaries they made even when they were FAILING TO PERFORM ON THE JOB!

I'm happy as can be to see that the rank and file employees that actually do tangible work are getting rewarded for the excellent performance on the job.

BTW...the reason these companies like GM needed to "deal with the devil" was because of the complete utter incompetence of the executive management. Also Alan Mulally was begging the gov't to bail out GM and others because if they weren't their would be no parts to make Ford cars either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Lots of Americans will never consider a GM vehicle after they made a deal with the Devil.

I would buy a new Ford tomorrow if I needed a new car.

Lots do, or they would not be selling as much as they do.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So gm improves its labor relations and avoids massive problems with a fairly reasonable contract, and you are angry about it? Please gm could give kind to every unemployed person in the us and you would still complain about gm. Get over it already. So employees in a profitable business shouldn't be rewarded? Maybe you should lose any and all bonuses you receive because its not necessary. Sound fair

Not sure if you were directing this at me. But I agree, this deal is fair for the most part. There were no big gains at the top of the pay scale, fair health and benefit continuations and a much needed raise at the new entry level pay scale. Plus they gained the ability to buy out more of the upper tier skilled trades. The UAW got promises for continued insourcing which is always a good thing imo. Overall, I'd say it works for both sides.

I'm hoping that the Ford contract doesn't have to go too far beyond this agreement with GM. I'm sure this deal would find some resistance at Ford currently.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

I'm sure this deal would find some resistance at Ford currently.

It should and it will.

I agree that the contract seems reasonable and mostly a positive thing. By some people's standard, they can't do business with most banks or healthcare either because they all did/do deals with the 'devil'. You could probably expand this list. Most of these people never supported GM before and weren't going to after either way. All the automakers get some subsidies in various forms from various 'devils' and Ford is UAW so it all seems to be a distinction without much of a difference.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I agree that the contract seems reasonable and mostly a positive thing. By some people's standard, they can't do business with most banks or healthcare either because they all did/do deals with the 'devil'. You could probably expand this list. Most of these people never supported GM before and weren't going to after either way. All the automakers get some subsidies in various forms from various 'devils' and Ford is UAW so it all seems to be a distinction without much of a difference.

Isn't that the truth! It's easy to grasp at strings and find additional reasons to validate your dislike or hate for a product or company that you are already not supporting.

I personally do not like Wal-mart and the shopping experience that I receive there, so I don't go. Apparently I am in the minority since they are the world's largest corporation and I am sure they don't at all miss me or care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back