GM Tech2 scan tool, how far back does it go?

I have a clone bought years ago and love how well it works. Used it on many OBD2 vehicles like my 2008 Silverado to activate the power locks and diagnose a bad switch as well as a bad cruise control brake pedal switch that would randomly turn the cruise off when going over bumps. It's also great on OBD1 cars. Only issue was when I tried to scan my '91 Grand Am for a check engine light, it only went back to 1992 models. I entered it as a '92 anyway and it gave me the code for the EGR system, so not a big deal, but is 1992 the oldest year they are made for? Anybody still have a Tech1 scanner they still use and how well do they work? Older cars still have some modern systems like ABS and airbags and jumping wires at the diagnostic connector is primitive even when possible.

Depends on if you have the older 10meg card or later 32meg card. My Tech2 has the last version made and covers, if I recall correctly, 1991-2013.

My dad had a Sunpro scan tool that came with different dongles that worked on my 1982 cadillac cimarron. Codes, open/closed loop, rich/lean, and live sensor data! IIRC it was 96 baud or so.

Tech 2 is 1992. Vetronix mastertech can run the tech 1 cartridges which is what I use or a Snapon scan tool. Autel does not support OBD I. Honestly, for ABS and airbag on a GM that early a scan tool doesnt get you much further than a paper clip at the ALDL does. There is very little live data available. Only thing I really remember needing a scan tool for on ABS or airbag on those was occasionally needing to do a motor home procedure on ABS 6 after a motor pack replacement

Well, mine has a dozen adapters to fit all the different makes' pre obd2 diagnostic ports.
yup and look in a menu and see if there is a vehicle older than 96 listed. The adapters are for early OBD II vehicles that had 2 DLCs, an OBD II and a proprietary and rest of world vehicles where OBD II wasnt a requirement. Im on my 5th Autel tool in the last 15 years and I am on the beta test team. There is no OBD I coverage, never has been and never will be

Well, mine has a dozen adapters to fit all the different makes' pre obd2 diagnostic ports.
I have the top of the line Autel tablet tool - amazing tool and I also have all those red adapters that I will never use. Regardless Autel - none of them - support OBD1

Back