GM Power Steering Fluid

I live in central Alberta (Edmontion area), looking at both GM's PS fluids- which one? CC or regular, in a previous life I used CC with decent results in Yellowknife.

Dextron VI. It doesn't freeze up like PS fluid. Local GM dealer told me a few years ago. I kept blowing hoses in winter. I replaced the hose and went with their recommendation. Never had an issue after.

The OP is in Alberta. Travels to Yellowknife. Possibly the most different climate in all of North America when compared with Arizona.
Grew up in Michigan soooo sub zero candian clippers were not unknown. Trans fluid works just fine in PS pumps and every gearhed Ive ever known also used trans fluid.

Grew up in Michigan soooo sub zero candian clippers were not unknown. Trans fluid works just fine in PS pumps and every gearhed Ive ever known also used trans fluid.

Not quite the same....

Yellowknife gets colder than Michigan.... By a decent margin too.

That's like saying Yukon Alaska and Marquette get as cold... They don't.

To be fair places in the Michigan UP away from the lakes get down to -30 °F and even a touch colder than that on occasion. Certainly has and does happen....
January 1985, January 1988, February 1994, January 1996, etc...

However in Yellowknife and the Yukon -55 is not uncommon. I saw a observation a couple of winter's ago it was -59 in the Yukon region.

- Around that -30..... C/F are almost the same temp, USED to live in YK, I'm in Edmonton now, they would shut the airport down around those temps (metal behaves differently) and forget about starting the vehicle- grab a taxi that's been running for hours. For my own reasons I don't want to run ATF.

Looks like gm makes a cold climate power steering fluid. Might be the only option besides dex6.

On a side note I noticed the only “performance” upgrade for a 2021 Silverado HD is better power steering hoses for cold climates.

You might try Triax power steering fluid. They advertise it as for Arctic conditions.
It is really smooth and quiet in my Mercedes and Blazer. I've only seen temps in the teens Fahrenheit since I put it in though. Seems the same as when it's 75 out. No resistance felt in the wheel when it gets cold like using Dexron III.

OK i get it Yellowknife is Cooooooold so fluid is severe duty. ☃️ ...The Canadians have started arriving in AZ btw to escape that stuff.

I started using synthetic ATF 10 years ago on my gm's and later on my rams. First amsoil MTF which really helped and now Co-op ATF SL. group 4, 7.7cst and -66C pour point. This made quite a difference on those cold soaked starts. No blown hoses or caps.

Back