GM Marine Engine wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gito
Spoke to my friend this morning and the following has been checked or replaced;

Batteries are not New but thinks that they should be good.

Not to sound like a ****, but it really doesn't matter what he thinks. It's a voltage issue right now. Video posted is a pretty standard starter cycle when it's not getting enough power. Fix the batteries - whether that be a charge or replacement, check connections

Watching the video, I am pretty sure that there is a battery and/or starter/solonoid problem (keep in mind that marine starters turn in the opposite direction of car starters), but in/out marine engines also have safety switches connected to the control cables of the outdrive that kills the engine's spark momentarily during shifting (at least they do on mercruiser outdrives). These WILL be affected in a flood situation like you describe and can prevent the engine from starting. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Remember "fuel, air and spark". Start by checking for spark....go from there.

The starter is clicking when it turns over slowly. He's well before that process. But if he can get it cranking over properly and it still doesn't start then yes this would apply.

Originally Posted by StevieC

The starter is clicking when it turns over slowly. He's well before that process. But if he can get it cranking over properly and it still doesn't start then yes this would apply.

guess I should of listened to the video first lol. Yes bad battery or more likely bad starter or connections. And judging by the guys reaction, your going to need a mechanic too...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

guess I should of listened to the video first lol. Yes bad battery or more likely bad starter or connections. And judging by the guys reaction, your going to need a mechanic too...

No worries...
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back