GM keyless entry keypad

Never seen this before. Looks they are taking Ford's lead here. Looks like it's just for late models, but also found this one for a little older vehicles,

How does this work? Just pick a PIN and that is how you unlock the door? 4 digits, 5?

For Ford, it is a 5 digit number. I have two cars with these keypads.

Then you can press 3/4 to unlock the passenger side door, and/or 5/6 to release the trunk lid.

If you are going someplace that you really don't want to carry your keys... just lock them in the vehicle.

How does this work? Just pick a PIN and that is how you unlock the door? 4 digits, 5?

the Ford system is a 5 digit code. there's a master code for each car( sometimes there's a decal on a module that lists the code, but it's in the ECM, you can either get it with either the dealer scan tool, or Forscan ) and as long as you have the Master code, you can set up your own personal ones (instructions in the manual)
Ford also has an add on keypad for cars that weren't originally equipped. those attach with mounting tape on the outside, and are just programmed as if they were another keyfob.

Last edited:

Never seen this before. Looks they are taking Ford's lead here. Looks like it's just for late models, but also found this one for a little older vehicles,

I saw this for the first time last week on a 2022 Chevy Traverse High Country...it was listed as a dealer installed option...I've not seen it as a factory option on GMs yet...

Bill

Added it to the Explorer I had last year.

025.jpg

029.JPG

Didn't even know this was an option. When buying my 21 escalade I never saw anything regarding this on the available options and packages. Probably because it's unsightly.

One can prepare for such things.
You go to the beach and park in the lot. Grab your towel, chair, maybe an umbrella and cooler and head out to the sand. Once you set up, you want to go take a dip in the water. You can't take your keys and wallet with you into the drink. And you don't want to leave it there unattended where anybody walking by can steal it. If only there was a way you could have left your keys as well as drivers license and credit cards in the car. Hmmm.

You go to the beach and park in the lot. Grab your towel, chair, maybe an umbrella and cooler and head out to the sand. Once you set up, you want to go take a dip in the water. You can't take your keys and wallet with you into the drink. And you don't want to leave it there unattended where anybody walking by can steal it. If only there was a way you could have left your keys as well as drivers license and credit cards in the car. Hmmm.

So leave them in the vehicle? In case you haven’t noticed, thieves don’t bother much with these things. They break the window.

Parking lots at a beach and trail heads and such are prime targets for thieves.

Well, if you assume thieves are going to break in to your car in a crowded parking lot, then all bets are off. Most bust a window when they see something of value on the seat or floor, so put it in the trunk or some place hidden so there won't be that opportunity.

So what do you do? leave your keys in the car, and lock it? I’d be too paranoid about it, TBH. (I carry spare keys to my vehicles, one keychain is cars, the other is house and the car spares. Yes, I do often wear a belt with my suspenders.)

Yes I leave it in the car, usually the trunk. And I always only have the key to the car I'm driving on me. No house key, have a push button lock on the door. Do have a spare house key hidden on the property outside.

I bought one of those for my 2018 Silverado. The dealer codes the device to the vehicle (like a new key fob) then you set up your own five digit code. I use it all the time... I don't always have my key fob with me when I want something out of the truck. It fit perfectly on the inside of the gas door. It was a little pricey, but worth it to me. The cost of the pad includes the dealer coding.

Used to have this on our Ford. This was a great future for the kids. Never liked handing them the key fob when traveling cause of expense and complications if they lost it, but the keypad always gave them access to get things out of the car. Win for everyone

Back