GM EcoTec collapsed/crushed filters?

1620808346159.jpg

This was a Valvoline filter I pulled from a 2.4 EcoTec back in october, it'd been in service about a year and 2500miles, it was quite twisted.

View attachment 56890
This was a Valvoline filter I pulled from a 2.4 EcoTec back in october, it'd been in service about a year and 2500miles, it was quite twisted.
Yep, that looks like a Champ filter. I’ve seen a few of those come out with tears in the media on these Ecotecs. It’s my opinion that these filters with that style end cap are inferior to the Hengst design. Fram and Wix also use the Hengst design and possibly some other filter manufacturers. What’s interesting is Fram started off using the Champ style end caps but later changed to the Hengst OE style.

When I had my Cavalier with the Ecotec, I noticed the same issue. The Champ made AC Delcos seemed to crush a little worse than the Hengst made AC Delco from Walmart, but they both looked crushed to some extent.
Only filter I found that didnt get crushed were Amsoil filters, and they used steel wire mesh backed synthetic media, so I think the steel mesh really gave them better strength.

Got a Hengst with cap today, the PF458G. The inner core is much closer to the pleats, and looking at it, it looks like the little fingers in the cap, are supposed to sit against the core, so it can't be crushed. Core also fits tighter. I'm going to swap out filter tomorrow so I'll cut it apart to see if the core touches/is the right size for the little fingers. Weirdly, the whole cap/filter is $2 cheaper than just the PF457. Filter also fits cap better. It snaps on nice, but easily spins when snapped on. PF457 snaps on tight and didnt spin without a fair bit of force.....maybe why some pics posted of some that are twisted?

Attachments

• 20210512_141019.jpg
    20210512_141019.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210512_141029.jpg
    20210512_141029.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210512_141038.jpg
    20210512_141038.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210512_141043.jpg
    20210512_141043.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 35
The bulk filters from the dealer come in a plastic bag and are a Champ design filter. I’ve seen a couple of the Champ design filters develop tears after use.
Ya parts guy got me those first, they also didnt come with an oring, so sent those back.

Got a Hengst with cap today, the PF458G. The inner core is much closer to the pleats, and looking at it, it looks like the little fingers in the cap, are supposed to sit against the core, so it can't be crushed. Core also fits tighter. I'm going to swap out filter tomorrow so I'll cut it apart to see if the core touches/is the right size for the little fingers. Weirdly, the whole cap/filter is $2 cheaper than just the PF457. Filter also fits cap better. It snaps on nice, but easily spins when snapped on. PF457 snaps on tight and didnt spin without a fair bit of force.....maybe why some pics posted of some that are twisted?
The 3rd picture looks like proper media support. Pleats won't push inward, but sill may become "wavy" with use like many cartridge filters do.

The 3rd picture looks like proper media support. Pleats won't push inward, but sill may become "wavy" with use like many cartridge filters do.
Yep fits much tighter....I dont mind a little wave, see that on some 3.6 ones at work(Mopar Tech) but this was really collapsed in with no wave. Thanks!

Smushed looking ecotec cartridge post use anecdotes of all brands, very common as posted this subforum. The "Hengst (made in USA)-ACD" cartridge appears to have the best track record in those anecdotes. However, there is at least one Hengst anecdote posted HERE, that exhibited a similar appearance. Some have claimed it's installation dependent, but based on comments, even done in best practice method, result similar to those shown/described.

For some time the Hengst-ACDelco cartridge has been getting much more difficult to find. As noted, it is available with new cap bundle purchase. In the past, some have claimed the current ACD cartridge with yellowish media is still Hengst made. I'm very skeptical of that claim. It's certainly not the same appearance as the Hengst labeled cartridge.

Last edited:
My guess is there are thousands of these filters just like screw on filters. Yep how many people are DIY oil changers? Likely only 10% of those even cut a can or even look at the cartridge. I'd also venture to say in the winter months Oil store changes go way up in the states with below freezing temps! Does the Oil store bring you filter to you to inspect? LOL sure they don't!

My guess is there are thousands of these filters just like screw on filters. Yep how many people are DIY oil changers? Likely only 10% of those even cut a can or even look at the cartridge.
I'd say it's even less than 10%, and of those, what's the percentage of those that post filter photos in this forum? - a very small number I'd say.

Ok swapped out filter/cap today. Looks like the reason why it crushes, is because the inner core fits so loose, it can slip off the 3 little fingers in the cap. Core is much tighter in hengst one. Ill post back when change oil next time, and see how this one holds up.

Ya parts guy got me those first, they also didnt come with an oring, so sent those back.
When I worked at a GM dealer, Gm said not to replace the oring unless it was damaged.
The oring that comes with many aftermarket filters are made of a lower grade material than the original.
I dont think I ever replaced the oring in the 3 years I had my Cavalier.

when I first started buying the AC Delco filter cartridge for my CTS Sport Wagon they did not include the O-Ring but those I have bought for the last few years all had a new O-Ring included in the box...I have read on the Forums (I know ;) ) that there had been some failures when new O-Rings weren't replaced...

Bill

Back