GM EcoTec collapsed/crushed filters?

Picked up a super clean low mile 2010 Cobalt(2.2) for the daughter awhile ago. Picked up a few ac delco PF457GO/19260345 filters. I noticed on last oil change this also, shows the middle of the filter pushed in, like its collapsed/crushed like I see quite a few of these do( Chrysler Dealer Tech). I always assumed this was from pushing oil changes and the filter getting plugged, but thats not the case here. Since I see this a fair bit, it seems to be common. Anyone know what causes this? Yes filter was installed in cap correct. The spring in cap IS quite strong, I wonder if there has been a change? I really dont like to see this , as the pleats are jammed together pretty good, so I'm sure its restricting oil flow. Sorry should have taken a pic of filter.

Try the Purflux L264A
I has zigzag pleats that should hold up. Purflux was the OE supplier a long time ago when the Ecotec first came out.

Another option is the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It is wire backed so it should be stronger and not buckle.

Every oil filter has some pressure difference (delta-p) across it from oil flow. How much delta-p is across it (function of viscosity, flow rate related to RPM and media restriction), and how strong the media is and how the pleats are made & spaced all have a role on how well a filter takes oil flowing through it.

Sounds like this is a cartridge filter, and depending on its dimensions and construction, it can also be deformed some just from being installed in the housing.

IIRC, in some cases with GM cartridge filters, you install the filter into the
cover first, otherwise the filter can get crushed.

Just a thought.

My 2¢

Been using cartridge filters for year for my fleet of Ecotecs. Many times they got the crushed look when we pulled them out. Other than that, they seem to hold up fine....

Try the Purflux L264A
I has zigzag pleats that should hold up. Purflux was the OE supplier a long time ago when the Ecotec first came out.

Another option is the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It is wire backed so it should be stronger and not buckle.

The Purflux are a very sturdy well made filter and all I use in these engines and never had one crush.

I had a Cruze with the 1.4T and a cartridge filter. It was fairly easy to crush the filter if it wasn't properly engaging the cap as you tighten it down. I suspect this is what happened.

I don't know the filter in question.
Does it have a "little plastic Eiffel Tower" pointing down as the element for the 3.6l Pentastar does?
Could installers miss whatever hole it's supposed to go into?

What does that little extension do anyway?

Completely normal for these engines, and quite common to see on many engines with cartridge oil filters. It was common to see brand new Ecotec engines come in for their first oil change and the factory filter would come out crushed/twisted. GM may have had a TSB about this but I can’t remember. I use the ACDelco Hengst

I do know GM has a TSB regarding the zigzag pleat Purflux filter. The Purflux filter was OE from 2000 to about 2003, up until GM changed the oil filter cap. The second iteration oil cap is not compatible with the Purflux filter for oil pressure concerns. I would research the Purflux filter to make sure it’s compatible before using it.

Luckily the ACDelco is a reboxed Hengst oil filter and is easily available at Walmart

Thanks for bringing this up, that TSB was from 06 IIRC that's 15 years ago and as I remember the OE Purflux of that time it was different than the one offered today for those engines. Still, it is good to have a look at this again.
This is the best I can find about the original TSB..
The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information about a new design oil filter cap assembly (P/N 12580254) and oil filter element (P/N 12579143) that has been released for service on 2.2L 4-cylinder engines (RPO L61) and supercharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engines (RPO LSJ).

Important
Always inspect for new design oil filter cap. If a new design oil filter cap (P/N 12580254) is present, the new design oil filter element (P/N 12579143) must be used to service this vehicle.

The new design oil filter cap can be identified by the rounded contour of the outer edges, rather than the flat edges on the previous designs. This new design oil filter cap is intended to back service all previous model year vehicles. The new design oil filter element must be used to service vehicles with this new design oil filter cap. Refer to the "Parts Compatibility" table included in this bulletin for more information.

Notice
Do NOT use an old design oil filter element (P/N 22685727) in combination with the new design oil filter cap . The bypass valve in the new design oil filter cap is designed with increased relief pressure. Use of an old design oil filter element with the new design oil filter cap could result in damage to the engine.

The new design oil filter element can be identified by a slightly smaller inside diameter as well as straight vertical pleats, rather than the previous zigzag pleats.

The below listed are the only correct GM filter and cap numbers to use on the 9-3 2.0 turbo Ecotec. These have the smaller diameter center bore, compared to the larger diameter of the older styles and generic filters.

PF2259G
Oil filter cap assembly

PF456G
Oil filter element

The L264A has no issues that I have noticed with a mechanical gauge or seen with the rounded cap found on later models. I will email Purflux today to confirm fitment but they list it as a replacement for GM 12605566 which is a current #.

Was it similar to this:

full-4879-23041-3.jpg

My mom's old Ecotech in her Saturn Vue would have some filters look like this. some would be just fine (but more looked like this than normal).
This was a NAPA ProSelect 27082. I had 2 others of this filter that came out just fine.

Completely normal for these engines, and quite common to see on many engines with cartridge oil filters. It was common to see brand new Ecotec engines come in for their first oil change and the factory filter would come out crushed/twisted. GM may have had a TSB about this but I can’t remember. I use the ACDelco Hengst

I do know GM has a TSB regarding the zigzag pleat Purflux filter. The Purflux filter was OE from 2000 to about 2003, up until GM changed the oil filter cap. The second iteration oil cap is not compatible with the Purflux filter for oil pressure concerns. I would research the Purflux filter to make sure it’s compatible before using it.

Luckily the ACDelco is a reboxed Hengst oil filter and is easily available at Walmart
Thanks..Yes going to source the Hengst....the ones i got are not Hengst even though they are professional ac delco ones.

Was it similar to this:

full-4879-23041-3.jpg

My mom's old Ecotech in her Saturn Vue would have some filters look like this. some would be just fine (but more looked like this than normal).
This was a NAPA ProSelect 27082. I had 2 others of this filter that came out just fine.
No, mine was squeezed in tight right around the middle

Ok, did some googlin, and this looks to have been a common thing. Does it hurt anything? Don't know but I don't like it. I'm worried about restriction, as pleats are jammed together in middle, and I don't want it opening the bypass.
Looking at this filter, I can see why it does it....there is no support at all just the filter media. The inside core sits probably 1/4 to 5/16 away from back of the pleats, and just floats around in there. As stated these are ac delco professional, but they are NOT Hengst. They also look slightly different than pics online of the PF457......Maybe this is a Canada thing?
If I look up pics online of a PF458,....... this is the one that comes with the cap.... pics show THAT filter is a Hengst. Anyway, I will source one of them, and if it is a Hengst, will give that a try. I see I can also order a Hengst , just the filter on rockauto. Thanks folks.....pics attached of what I have now., and one of the PF458 from online.

Attachments

• 20210511_164040.jpg
    20210511_164040.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210511_164005.jpg
    20210511_164005.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210511_164030.jpg
    20210511_164030.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 57
  • PF458.jpg
    PF458.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 56
Looking at this filter, I can see why it does it....there is no support at all just the filter media. The inside core sits probably 1/4 to 5/16 away from back of the pleats, and just floats around in there.
Yep, oil flow is pushing the pleats inward until they hit the inside core.

Thanks..Yes going to source the Hengst....the ones i got are not Hengst even though they are professional ac delco ones.
The bulk filters from the dealer come in a plastic bag and are a Champ design filter. I’ve seen a couple of the Champ design filters develop tears after use.

Back