GM coolant tabs & core job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some coolant sealant tablets from dealer (6 in the package). Do I add all 6 for my 2005 Impala 3.4 v/6? One guy said all 6 mainly used in the Northstar engines. And... where is the heater core located, can I replace it myself or is it that bad of a job. No leaks but has the slime on the windows when really cold and winter time...hah! Windows can ice up inside the car...sometimes, not all the time. I know it's best to take some coolant and then mix the tablets and once all dissolved then add to the overflow tank. Only has 48k on it and runs ultra smooth and quiet. Thanks !! OH. ANY youtube on a core job??

Keep that great GM feeling with officially licensed products.

Sweet!

GMLeakStop.jpg

You guys do realize that GM doesn't actually make any of this stuff. Likely just purchased from and relabeled by Bars or Gold Eagle?

HDC%20JPG%20large.jpg

Quite a while back I randomly bought some ACDelco sealant tabs. I think they're the same.

Then wipe them off the rubber seal on the radiator cap every time you open it, and watch them accumulate in the overflow.

I acknowledge that Holden recommend them, and I use them, but I really don't like them.

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a repair manual. Read the manual. It will give you a lot of information about your car. Then read about the heater core, location, what is required to remove and replace it. Then decide if you have the time, skills, tools, and stamina to tackle the job. Some of those cores are really difficult to access and replace.

Do your reading and homework before you just jump right in. Knowledge is power. Get some knowledge about that job.

They work well. Ginger root is the ingredient that does the sealing, it has the unique property of only expanding when wet only when exposed to air.
In a closed system it will not expand, it wont clog the system if used properly.
GM sells 2 sizes the large ones in a pack of 5 and smaller ones in a pack of 6 IIRC, in a 3.4 use 6 small or 3 or 4 of the large not more.

Put them crushed directly into the radiator not the overflow bottle, you might have to remove some coolant.
Drive the car with the heater on full (the fan does not need to be running on max 1 is fine) for about 45 min then park it overnight.

Edit: Yes it is the same are Bars tabs. I get these.

http://www.amazon.com/Bars-J-100-Cooling-System-Treatment/dp/B003RGBUTE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
They work well. Ginger root is the ingredient that does the sealing, it has the unique property of only expanding when wet only when exposed to air.

Oops, got my bushes mixed up! Thanks Trav...

They used crushed walnut shell for years in these product now they use crushed almond shells for some reason.
Its only about 10% but i thought they may have used it as a scouring agent to clean? Maybe almond shells are less aggressive? I have no idea.

Subaru also uses this basic formula in a premix made by Holts so manufacturers seem comfortable using it in cars under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Trav
They used crushed walnut shell for years in these product now they use crushed almond shells for some reason.
Its only about 10% but i thought they may have used it as a scouring agent to clean? Maybe almond shells are less aggressive? I have no idea.

Subaru also uses this basic formula in a premix made by Holts so manufacturers seem comfortable using it in cars under warranty.

The labels I've seen say ginger root, almond shells, and turmeric. I wonder if it can attract wildlife? There was a tire manufacturer that came up with scented tires. It was Kumho's Ecsta DX Aroma and came in lavender, jasmine, or orange. I was thinking one could attract a bear that might think it was food. If curious enough it might claw or chew on the,.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
crush them and put them in radiator hose

I used 2 in my Equinox (same engine) I crushed them up and poured some distilled water in a container with them and let them seperate. Poured the solution into the upper radiator hose and called it a day! Better off putting less than more..

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Better off putting less than more

I agree putting too little is better than too much but you still need enough in there circulating to do the job.

Cadillac N* got 5 large tabs right from the factory and it had around an 11 qt cooling system as does the Equinox.

years ago we had a 5.3 that had a bit of condensation on the oil cap. A sniff revealed coolant odor, and I am certain this truck was going to pop the head gasket as it was using a tiny bit of coolant.

We put the tabs in the hose and installed new coolant and drove the truck another 100k miles plus. There was no more condensation under that cap and no coolant smell.

They work...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
years ago we had a 5.3 that had a bit of condensation on the oil cap. A sniff revealed coolant odor, and I am certain this truck was going to pop the head gasket as it was using a tiny bit of coolant.

We put the tabs in the hose and installed new coolant and drove the truck another 100k miles plus. There was no more condensation under that cap and no coolant smell.

They work...

I remember reading an article in an auto magazine where someone from Gold Eagle was interviewed about their cooling system products. He noted that they sold the stuff to automakers, and that often people would complain because they just did a coolant change it and it suddenly started leaking. I guess the issue is that a lot of these cooling systems are inherently leak prone to a small degree, and that a mild sealant helps.

I also remember when I bought some Honda green coolant, and there was this brownish scum that I found along the edge of the bottle when I stored some in a small bottle for top offs. A later version seemed different.

Are you getting heat? If no, your heater may simply be clogged. Disconnect heater hoses and use a garden hose with a sprayer to flush one side. You will see a lot of gunk come out as I did. Think you're done? Try reverse flushing from the other connection. Almost as much gunk. Protect your belts and alternator from this messy flush.Reconnect the hoses, add a couple of crushed tabs in the radiator, run engine and top off as it purges the air from the heater.
I believe replacing the heater core involves taking out the dash. Don't see any other way.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

They work...
You might have had heads on that engine that had the weak casting. Small cracks would develop and let drops of coolant into the oil. Can't remember what years had that problem.

:bleh:

This thread jinxed me by the looks of it.

Last week in the big snow, I took it to work, and thought I smelled a little whiff of A/F...Saturday we went to the monster trucks, and got in the car at 2-3C for a 20 minute drive home...windscreen was fogging badly and when the A/C was turned on, there was a whiff of A/F.

Turn AC off, windows fogged. AC on, whiff of A/F again. No visible leakage, tank level doesn't seem to be moving.

And Bars is no longer on the shelf anymore in Oz by the looks of it.

Got a packet of GM tablets...$14 for the 3 big ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back