GM 6.0L Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a 2005 Cadillac Escalade (6.0L AWD) with 170k miles on it. The engine runs like new with no apparent problems. The service records indicates that this vehicle has been ran on conventional oil (Havoline, Castrol GTX , VWB) with most of the oil changes performed at Walmart and some at Tire outlets. The ones at Walmart generally used 1qt of Lucas synthetic oil stabalizer.The owners manual calls for 5w30 GM6094M.

The vehicle is not being used as a daily driver. When it is driven, it is mostly diven on 70 miles trips (one way) at highways speeds of 78mph. Not driven hard. Currently I am averaging 2000 miles every 6 months. Not currently towing anything with vehicle.

Performed oil analysis on oil that was in engine upon time of purchase. Wears metals and oil looked great. Here are Blackstone Comments:

Thanks for the notes. Buying a used car is always a gamble, but this one might pay off for you. This 6.0L GM engine is making less metal than we see on average from them. That might be due in part to a shorter oil run than the average interval of about 4,700 miles, but low wear isn't a problem no matter the reason for it. Sodium can show coolant, but it looks more like oil additive in this case. We wouldn't worry about it if the engine isn't losing anti-freeze. The viscosity is close to the 5W/30 range, and no excess fuel was found. Air/oil filtration appear to be in good shape.

Currently I am running the Havoline 10w30HM SN conventional. Thinking of doing 6 month oil change intervals with this oil or either Castrol GTX HM. I do like the Havoline 6qt smart change box for $14.97 at Walmart plus it is the exact amount of oil needed at oil change. Is this oil adequate? It is not mentioned alot.

Any recommendations on other oils/oil change interval?

Thanks

Use something that id dexos1 gen2
smile.gif

The 6.0L engine will be happy with just about any oil, but I would leave out the additives.

In the last year, I have put everything from CK-4 15W40 to M-1 0W40 in company vehicles.

Some of them are still getting free oil changes from the dealerships. In those cases, 5w30 Dexos.

Last edited:
I would keep doing what you're doing. Havoline makes excellent products and that sounds like a good price for it.

I was using Ultra 5w30 in the RV's 6.0L but switched to ST 5w30 synthetic the last change. Even at yearly changes, 7500 average, at tugging heavy loads it seemed to be easy on oil. Figured might as well save money as the engine will outlast the rest.

I have 175,000 miles on my 3/4 ton Suburban. Original owner. No problems. I used 5w30 Synthetic all these years currently use 5w30 D1G2 Synthetic; Pennzoil or Quaker State because I use mail in rebates. Nothing wrong with what you are doing, as far as I'm concerned. There are lots of folks getting 300,000 miles on conventional oil as long as it's changed often, like yours has been. I try change mine at 7,000 miles. My OLM is usually at around 70 % at 7,000 miles. Report in when you hit 200,000 miles!

I have a similar engine in my GTO, there are minor differences in the truck LS2 and car LS2, mainly the tune and intake manifold. I have used Mobil 1, Royal Purple and I'm currently using Redline with an OCI of about 5K. I use either a mobil1 or royal purple oil filter since the GTO has a skid plate under the oil pan and filter length is critical in order to fit properly. The factory fill on these engines is Mobil 1 5w30. I think you'll be fine with a quality 5w30 synthetic. The LS 2 is known for oil consumption and per the owners manual GM states that 1 qt per 3000 miles is considered normal. Another issue is that the engine is noisy at start up, some folks on the GTO forums run a 5W40, to help with the noise, but I personally haven't experienced it. All in all the LS2 is a stout engine as long as it is properly maintained.

Originally Posted by A10WartHog

Currently I am running the Havoline 10w30HM SN conventional ...

Any recommendations on other oils/oil change interval?

The type service you indicate (hwy miles) is about as easy as any oil can ask for; nothing demanding at all.
Any dino oil will do fine.
Follow the IOLM.

The 6.0L is a good engine, and it isn't a lube choice that is going to kill it.

I toyed with the idea of using a synthetic as that is what I use in my other vehicles. However, with this this particular vehicle having a steady diet of conventional over it entire life of 170K miles and it being leak free (minus the occasional drop from the oil cooler hose-typical), I did not want to change the formula too much from what has been working.

Stick with the dino unless you want to run long intervals. We just sold a 6.0 Fleet van with 150k miles and it ran silently, used no oil, just a super durable engine IMO...

GM6094M spec has been replaced with Dexos. I got a letter from GM stating they recommend all owners from 2001 up (if I remember correctly) adhere to the new spec. Use any 5w30 that meets Dexos spec and change once a year with the miles you drive.

Originally Posted by tiger862
GM6094M spec has been replaced with Dexos. I got a letter from GM stating they recommend all owners from 2001 up (if I remember correctly) adhere to the new spec. Use any 5w30 that meets Dexos spec and change once a year with the miles you drive.

You can use DEXOS it's far from nessary for the 6.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back