GM 5.3 L, 4L60E shifting worries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was like 6 quarts..mine was the deep pan. Maxlife is cheaper by the gallon for some reason.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Recently picked up a 2003 suburban with the 4L60 and harsh shifting. I did a pan drop and clean along with filter change..and filled with Maxlife ATF. Immediate change in shifting and became smooth. Mine has over 200K and for now it shifts like new.

I also disconnected the battery while doing this for the ECM to relearn. So perhaps there was stored info for shifting that got fixed with the relearn.

For Krismoriah72 - Did you just add the one gallon or so refill or replace it all?

I suppose there is a reason why the 4L60E is nicknamed the "automatic transgression" by some.

If its been looked after and not abused, then I'd say it is something of a dud. Whether this behaviour is anything to be worried about is something else.

Too late to edit my last post, but for what it's worth, we usually get over 200K and often well over that out of these transmissions on the delivery trucks at work. No fluid changes. If it slips bad or has a major failure, the truck gets a reman trans or gets scrapped depending on condition. They see a lot of in-town driving as well, so it's definitely not all highway.

The shift solenoids are so easy to replace on that, just throw a couple new ones in when you drop pan. They're like 25 bucks a piece at Advanced Auto.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
The shift solenoids are so easy to replace on that, just throw a couple new ones in when you drop pan. They're like 25 bucks a piece at Advanced Auto.

Absolutely!

Amazon has the OE part for only $10/each. https://amzn.com/B0013FZSUS

Under light throttle I seem to be getting a longer lag in the 1-2 shift followed by a what I'd say is a gentle but more noticeable "thunk" than usual. More initial throttle input with faster acceleration lessens this tendency even to non-existent most of the time. I always worry in these cases I might be talking myself into feeling something that may have been there already but ... it has gotten my attention. Would appreciate your thoughts.

What your describing is a "Slide-Bump" 1-2 shift, VERY Common on 4L60E transmissions...Especially C/K & S/T trucks!

This can be fixed with the trans in the truck but will be labor intensive for a beginner, If your willing to do around 4 hours of labor with ATF dripping on you....I can tell you exactly how to fix it & prolong the life of the trans in the process.

Reaction Sun Shell Spline failures are caused by the "Bump" 1-2 shift!

Originally Posted By: Olas
DIY T56 swap

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/t56.html

Full control over shift speed and engagement at all times.

Wow that was totally unexpected, Olas telling the world that manual transmissions are the way to go... (sarcasm)

Why don't you just keep your yap shut? Not everyone needs or desires a manual transmission. You are in no way addressing the issue, nor are you helping the O/P.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
DIY T56 swap

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/t56.html

Full control over shift speed and engagement at all times.

Wow that was totally unexpected, Olas telling the world that manual transmissions are the way to go... (sarcasm)

Why don't you just keep your yap shut? Not everyone needs or desires a manual transmission. You are in no way addressing the issue, nor are you helping the O/P.

I'm giving the OP a solution to his undesirable gear engagement issues.
Isn't that what you do when someone has a problem?

You linked to an article discussing the T56 swap in a '96 5.7L pickup; OP is driving a '04 5.3L Rainier. See any issues there?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

You linked to an article discussing the T56 swap in a '96 5.7L pickup; OP is driving a '04 5.3L Rainier. See any issues there?

It depends if the car serves the owner or vice versa

Quote:
What your describing is a "Slide-Bump" 1-2 shift, VERY Common on 4L60E transmissions...Especially C/K & S/T trucks!

This can be fixed with the trans in the truck but will be labor intensive for a beginner, If your willing to do around 4 hours of labor with ATF dripping on you....I can tell you exactly how to fix it & prolong the life of the trans in the process.

Reaction Sun Shell Spline failures are caused by the "Bump" 1-2 shift!

After watching some 4L60E videos I had come to see the shell spline as a weak link, worst thing that might result from the "clunk". It just looks weak the way it's welded to the shell. I would like to hear what a repair procedure would be. Not so I can do it, not able for a long list of reasons including not being an ace mechanic, but to recognize if it gets worse and also communicate better to a tech. If you would send me a PM or post that here I would appreciate it very much. Thanks. At least a common problem is one others have seen or are interested in knowing about.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Sadly I'd take it to a trusted shop for review.

Key word "trusted"

Originally Posted By: Gito
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Sadly I'd take it to a trusted shop for review.

Key word "trusted"

Happily I know one who has been reliable to others. Me too on one occasion. I lost second and fourth one day and took it to the garage. They sent it to their trans guy, they use him on contract. He looked it over, told the garage to put in a new .... ignition switch. What.... They did and it's been fine, in that regard, ever since. Charges - zero. I ask no questions, never look a gift horse in the mouth. Sounds like it's time to go to the stable again.

Happily I know one who has been reliable to others. Me too on one occasion. I lost second and fourth one day and took it to the garage. They sent it to their trans guy, they use him on contract. He looked it over, told the garage to put in a new .... ignition switch. What.... They did and it's been fine, in that regard, ever since. Charges - zero. I ask no questions, never look a gift horse in the mouth. Sounds like it's time to go to the stable again.

Good idea just bring at least a dozen donuts or at least a pizza to the shop next time you go in there. To help keep the goodwill going and to thank them.

BIL has 400k on his factory 4L60e ... Dex VI each 100k ...
I have put 100k to 150k on many of them trouble free and traded/sold/gifted ...
(I run 30k and flip 5 qts via drain plug ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
BIL has 400k on his factory 4L60e ... Dex VI each 100k ...
I have put 100k to 150k on many of them trouble free and traded/sold/gifted ...
(I run 30k and flip 5 qts via drain plug ...

Did, or do, any of them have the "shift-bump" and for how long?

No, not questioning dealing with that shift problem - just tire of snarky comments from folks who never owned the stuff they criticize... And then it just gets blindly repeated - see this in other industries as well, and costs seriously big money having a false belief system passed on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back